What's new

DAC briefed about Rafale negotiations, gives go ahead

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India
DAC briefed about Rafale negotiations, gives go ahead
IANS | New Delhi September 1, 2015 Last Updated at 21:02 IST

The negotiation committee on purchasing Rafale combat jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF) has been given the 'go ahead' by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), defence ministry officials said on Tuesday.

Officials said the deal was "on course", and the negotiations will go on.

"The negotiation committee briefed the DAC about the progress so far," a ministry source said after a DAC meeting on Tuesday.

"The DAC has given its go ahead to them," the source said, refusing to elaborate.

India announced it will buy 36 Rafale jets from France during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit in April.

Sources said there were "no roadblocks" in the deal.

DAC briefed about Rafale negotiations, gives go ahead | Business Standard News

in second half of this week the french DM will be here
i think with DAC approval i am guessing DM MP has blessed the things (negotiations).. Now i am sure Arun jaitley may bless it too and we may give the good news when french DM is in india

News circulating now

Rafale Acquisition on Track, Lights Green For Final Stretch: Sources
Rafale Acquisition on Track, Lights Green For Final Stretch: Sources
All India | Written by Vishnu Som | Updated: September 01, 2015 22:08 IST

NEW DELHI: The Narendra Modi government appears to be going ahead with the off-the shelf purchase of 36 Rafale fighters, which the Indian Air Force needs urgently. In the clearest indication of the government's intention so far, the Defence Acquisition Committee has asked the Defence Ministry negotiating team to proceed with end-stage negotiations, sources told NDTV.

Unofficial estimates indicate the deal for 36 jets could cost the exchequer $8 to $9 billion.

The move comes five months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced India's intention to acquire 36 Rafale fighters in an off-the-shelf deal with the government of France -- a deal he expected to conclude within a month or two.

Today's developments are a clear indicator that hurdles which existed towards the acquisition of the Rafale have now likely been removed. These were linked to India's mandatory offset requirements, under which 50% of the total value of the Rafale deal would need to be ploughed back into Indian industry.

Sources indicate that French negotiators had told the government that the process would substantially delay the acquisition of the fighters.

NDTV has learnt that the French government may now have indicated to the government of India its willingness to set up a third line to manufacture Rafale fighters in future. This, the French argue, will go towards meeting its mandatory offset requirements in the deal in the future.

NDTV has also learnt that the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian was expected to be in New Delhi today. But he has delayed his visit to this country, pending the progress on the Rafale deal, on the advice of the Government of India.

The Indian Air Force requires the Rafale fighters to fulfill a long pending requirement to step up its squadron strength, which has been depleted over the years by having to retire older generation aircraft.

The IAF also believes that the Rafale gives it a capability to strike ground targets and air targets in complex futuristic battles.

The government's decision to acquire 36 Rafale came after it scrapped the Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft tender to acquire 126 fighters, most of which were to be built in India by Hindustan Aeronautics.

With differences over transfer of technology and overall cost issues continuing for years, the government decided to proceed with a smaller direct purchase from France -- something that may now be officially announced very soon barring any eleventh-hour setback.

@Abingdonboy
@Ind4Ever
@SpArK @MilSpec @kurup @GURU DUTT @levina @Capt.Popeye

in second half of this week the french DM will be here

i think with DAC approval i am guessing DM MP has blessed the things (negotiations).. Now i am sure Arun jaitley may bless it too and we may give the good news when french DM is in india

I'm not overly confident about this, historically India has avoided making any such announcements/signings during such high-level visits. Perhaps this new GoI will break this precedent, who knows....

It is too early to say if it is going to happen because we are hearing all these news from couple of years :sick:. If it happens then Congratulations in advance. India is not going to stop at 36 and will raise the number in near future. This is definitely going to start arm race in SA again.

What kind of technology transfer are we getting from France?

It is too early to say if it is going to happen because we are hearing all these news from couple of years :sick:. If it happens then Congratulations in advance. India is not going to stop at 36 and will raise the number in near future. This is definitely going to start arm race in SA again.

I will forgive you for being ignorant about India's defence procurement process but this news is significant- the DAC is the highest (defence) procurement body in India and is headed by the Defence Minister. If the DAC is giving the CNC (the negotiation team) the green light to complete the talks with France this is a MAJOR development and indicates the beginning of the end of this saga. At no point has India been this close to buying the Rafales, after the DAC the final hurdles are the Fin Min (which already has been briefed) and the CCS (headed by the PM- the person who began this entire process in April).

+ there is no arms race in S.Asia, India has already got the region covered.

its implying GOI wants to give a favorable reply and in return may then start the bargaining for the 90 Make In India part via French government..
Well it is clear they knew the DAC go-ahead was coming at the start of the week and thus advised the French DM to come after this so that his visit could actually be constructive to moving this process forward. Him airing before the DAC clearance came would have been fruitless for both sides.

I will forgive you for being ignorant about India's defence procurement process but this news is significant- the DAC is the highest (defence) procurement body in India and is headed by the Defence Minister. If the DAC is giving the CNC (the negotiation team) the green light to complete the talks with France this is a MAJOR development and indicates the beginning of the end of this saga. At no point has India been this close to buying the Rafales, after the DAC the final hurdles are the Fin Min (which already has been briefed) and the CCS (headed by the PM- the person who began this entire process in April).

+ there is no arms race in S.Asia, India has already got the region covered.

I did not knew that. Thanks for letting me know about DAC. I must say DAC is fast enough to seal the deal in a decade.

I did not knew that. Thanks for letting me know about DAC. I must say DAC is fast enough to seal the deal in a decade.
The DAC is not the body conducting the analysis and evaluation, that was the IAF (who did an incredibly though and efficient job) nor are they responsible for negotiating with the French, that is the CNC (they are the ones who were unable to move forward once an impasse was reached after 3 years of talks). The DAC simply takes the final call (from a MoD perspective), balancing up all the pros and cons on whether or not a procurement should be cleared. As such, it is hardly the DAC's fault if a deal is delayed.

This is definitely going to start arm race in SA again.

Why would you do that when you have nukes ?? And yes we won't stop at 36 once production line gets set up in India. Make it 189 including Naval version.

Last edited:
And yes we won't stop at 36 once production line gets set up in India. Make it 189 including Naval version.
The Navy is a separate matter, they will do what is best for themselves and I don't think the Rafale-M is particularly appealing to them. The IAF alone may have 189 Rafales all told.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom