What's new

CWG Pictures

cwg-delhi-2010.jpg

Common-Wealth-Games-2010.JPG

79288523.jpg

Folk performers wearing traditional dress queue outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, the main venue of the Commonwealth Game
india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-3-30-12.jpg

india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-3-10-0.jpg

india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-3-30-7.jpg

Police officers and a sniffer dog conduct a security sweep outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium,
india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-3-20-0.jpg

Scottish team members relax in a recreational area of the athletes village in Delhi on Sept. 26, a week ahead of the Commonwealth Games. (Gurinder Osan/Associated Press)
scotland-delhi-ap-584.jpg

Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games team
group-cheer.jpg

4x400m-relay-team.jpg

Susie Gilbert, an athlete from England enjoying billiards at Commonwealth Games Village for the upcoming Commonwealth Games 2010 in New Delhi on September 28, 2010.
Athletes.jpg

Susie&

Athletes.jpg

Rehearsal for opening ceremony of XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 going on at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi
Rehearsal.jpg

Rehearsal.jpg

Inauguration.jpg

Inauguration.jpg

4413353661_f188acc004_b.jpg

India, the perfect location for the Games

Do you know what? India is the perfect location for the Commonwealth Games.

I've been here three days and it has been a more culturally enriching process than Melbourne, and more uplifting than Manchester. If Glasgow can capture half of the sheer joy of India then it will have done well. :cheers::cheers::yahoo:

To all the people who have called off: you have let yourselves down and your countries down. Most of all, you have let India down, and this is the country whose citizens make up half of the entire Commonwealth.

I want to go into this in a bit more depth in my next blog but our Western attitude needs to be adjusted.

There is a pompous Britishness that expects perfection, when we don't even get perfection at home. And it's good for the West to get a glimpse at what really happens in the world, and not just by watching Judith Chalmers on the Holiday Programme.

What do you mean it's no longer on?

Besides which, I like imperfection. Nothing is perfect. I am, for instance, a shambles.

delhi_sonali_beattie_katy_5.jpg

Newsround's Sonali Shah and Sport Monthly's Katie Still join John at India Gate

It's strange when you have a couple of days you think you will remember all your life. Yesterday was a day of filming links at India Gate for Sport Monthly's Commonwealth Games preview programme. It's a huge, stunning archway built for fallen heroes and as the sun sets it is bright with pink glory.

Locals and visitors come to promenade in perfect heat and marvel at a stunning location. I got the chance to meet Sonali Shah, the Newsround presenter, who was also filming links here, which demanded a picture.

Today was a day off - the last, we have been told - and we had a long walk past men who chase the dragon on the streets (I thought they were shooing persistent monitor lizards) and we meandered among tuk-tuks to get to the appropriately named Kwality curry house.

After 12-hour days it was good. And it struck me - we have exactly the same in Glasgow.

The Commonwealth Games grip Delhi, along with John Travolta's holiday in India, of course.
The Scottish athletes are to the fore in newspapers with Willie Wood on page one of the Times of India.

The Chief Minister of Delhi, Sheila Dikshit - yes, her name was read out far too often by an eager announcer four years ago in Melbourne - says that the "deep cleaning" has finished and I suspect that various brands of moisturising cream are claiming credit.

I feel safe and I feel that India is a wonderful place. They could not have given these games to a better place.

Alarmingly, some Welsh athletes have been photographed with vuvuzelas.

BBC - John Beattie: India, the perfect location for the Games

610x.jpg

0cDF7yN8CBbuJ

610x.jpg

Indian performers from the Himalayan state of Ladakh gesture as they proceed towards an opening ceremony rehearsal at the Jawarhalal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on September 30,
439x.jpg

performers proceed towards an opening ceremony rehearsal at the Jawarhalal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on September 30, 2010.
439x.jpg

Indian Bollywood music director Anand Raj Anand (L) poses with The Commonwealth Games Mascot 'Shera', actor Anil Kapoor (2R) and film director Raj Kumar Santoshi (R)at the inauguration of a musical tribute in Mumbai late September 29, 2010,
439x.jpg

A South African team officals dances with Shera games mascot after the flag hoisting ceremony at the Commonwealth Games village in New Delhi
x610.jpg

Members of South African support staff blow through vuvuzelas during the flag hoisting ceremony at the Commonwealth Games village in New Delhi
610x.jpg

A South African athlete blows through a vuvuzela after their flag hoisting ceremony at the Commonwealth Games village in New Delhi
610x.jpg

Members of Australian women's hockey team return after a practice session
610x.jpg

: England women's hockey player Beth Storry speaks to the media at the Main Press Centre
x610.jpg

England women hockey players (L-R) Kate Walsh and Beth Storry visit the Main Press Centre a
610x.jpg

TRIBUTE TO DELHI AR RAHMAN STYLE:partay: :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
to con and all the guys who have posted these wonderful pics.A BIG BIG THANK YOU....
now...where is the western media ??? i am in london and none of the news channels like sky and bbc have shown any of these and same with the print media..the dirty room and collapsed bridge made front page but none of these even in inside pages....that just shows gora attitude even today

come on india..make all of us proud
JAI HIND

to con and all the guys who have posted these wonderful pics.A BIG BIG THANK YOU....
now...where is the western media ??? i am in london and none of the news channels like sky and bbc have shown any of these and same with the print media..the dirty room and collapsed bridge made front page but none of these even in inside pages....that just shows gora attitude even today

come on india..make all of us proud
JAI HIND

just ignore the western media buddy and enjoy the games:partay:

Folk performers wearing traditional dress pose for a photograph as they queue outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium
india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-4-3-13.jpg

Shera, the mascot of the Commonwealth Games, Commonwealth Games Local Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, third from left, New Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, fourth from left, and other dignitaries pose with the Queen's baton at the organizing committee headquarters in New Delhi, India,
india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-6-40-47.jpg

School children in traditional Indian dress wait to perform at a flag hoisting ceremony at the Commonwealth Games
india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-9-50-25.jpg

india-commonwealth-games-2010-9-30-9-51-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom