What's new

Cultural conflicts

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
Despite living outside of Pakistan for half of my life, I'm a pretty 'traditional' guy. Which means, marrying a Pakistani girl, no dating before that. Being financially 'adequate' before marrying the girl, living a 'safe, secure' life. That's what I've been taught. But I get conflicted sometimes. I'm the complete opposite of someone who wants a 'safe, secure' life. I want to do things that make me happy. But I don't want to be with an American chick either. I see myself wanting to be with a Pakistani girl in my future. Someone who's cool, who's "self-sustaining", independent, who's cool with me doing my own thing, who doesn't compare herself or 'us' with other individuals or couples in the society (as long as we're happy), who's ready to 'sail ship with me'. And these are things that are hard to find in Pakistani girls. They aren't as emotionally stable as the American chicks here, nor as "self-sustaining". I've also noticed that American girls aren't as judgmental about job titles of the guy if they're really into him, which isn't really found as much in desi girls. Sometimes I wonder how a marriage or a relationship can work without knowing the person before getting together, how the relationship can be based on love & trust if you haven't gotten to know the person well before marriage? In some ways, arranged marriages to me remind me of two people getting forced together, to be with one another, as a means of necessity than of true happiness.

And I'm 24, my parents don't want me looking for non-Pakistani, non-Muslim girls in America. I've told them I'm not interested in marriage right now. But that also means no dating on my part, especially with a non-Muslim, non-Pakistani girl. Which can be quite hard to comply with sometimes, especially when the job I've had after college totally sucks, & I hate doing it. I'm pretty sure my confidence for dating/asking girls out has been shot anyways, & all I can hope for is a Pakistani girl for myself in the future. But then they have certain traits I don't particularly like. It's a weird, conflicting state to be in.

Have you been to the Playboy Mansion to find someone suitable?

I have heard its the best place.

You are 24 thinking 'bout marriage! Holy Spongebob!

Whats happening to USA this days?

You didn't understand what I said in my first post:

I've told them I'm not interested in marriage right now. But that also means no dating on my part, especially with a non-Muslim, non-Pakistani girl. Which can be quite hard to comply with sometimes

But then they have certain traits I don't particularly like. It's a weird, conflicting state to be in.

Not white enough for you?

Strange, because you generalize all Pakistani women.

You need to date more women for starters rather than make random generalizations.

I have found incredibly hot, smart and intelligent women in Pakistan.

look actively for a life partner on www. halfourdeen. com :P

Dont take life and yourself so seriously.

Loosen up and broaden your horizon. There is too much of non this & that in your post and it may creep into your life too.

Look for companionship with someone of the same mental wavelength as yourself ,marry someone who is a friend and you will laugh your way thru life.

Had you been in a sucky relationship with a Pakistani girl, your ideal would have disappeared real quick.
They only exist in your head.

Once you are out of a relationship.. at 24, you realize with the paycheck coming in, you being able to buy all the stuff you wanted.. poontang takes a backseat.
Im 24.. and living it out as much as I can.. (that may also have to do with the guillitine of a mandatory Masters in something as per my parents demand.. and the deadline of 26 years old as the time to get engaged.. and settling down withing the year.
Which is why.. I would forsake all that crap.

Now as for the advantages for a desi girl..
eight out of ten times, she will stay faithful to you, she will know how to blend in with your family better.. she knows the foods(usually).. and your kids will retain some "Pakistaniaat" in them.

An American girl may or may not remain at your side.. depending on what she got in for, your family and her family will end up in massive cultural conflicts.. and your kids may end up calling you the old man when its all done.

Frolick around with the American, have fun..but
Stick to the desi girl when its time to settle down.

Not white enough for you?

Strange, because you generalize all Pakistani women.

You need to date more women for starters rather than make random generalizations.

I have found incredibly hot, smart and intelligent women in Pakistan.

I never meant to generalize the whole community; there are plenty of smart, intelligent, independent women in Pakistan. It's the South Asian society that is the problem: marriage out of necessity than as a means of happiness & companionship. The need for the man to be the provider. Then the constant competition (comparison) within society over social status & other stuff. These are things I don't like.

Are you trying to get an arranged marriage or looking for a girl yourself?

Looking for a girl is much easier during college...

Bilal

So exactly, please, Exactly, what is the problem with dating, for you - not talking about the big picture, just for you

Had you been in a sucky relationship with a Pakistani girl, your ideal would have disappeared real quick.
They only exist in your head.

Once you are out of a relationship.. at 24, you realize with the paycheck coming in, you being able to buy all the stuff you wanted.. poontang takes a backseat.
Im 24.. and living it out as much as I can.. (that may also have to do with the guillitine of a mandatory Masters in something as per my parents demand.. and the deadline of 26 years old as the time to get engaged.. and settling down withing the year.
Which is why.. I would forsake all that crap.

Now as for the advantages for a desi girl..
eight out of ten times, she will stay faithful to you, she will know how to blend in with your family better.. she knows the foods(usually).. and your kids will retain some "Pakistaniaat" in them.

An American girl may or may not remain at your side.. depending on what she got in for, your family and her family will end up in massive cultural conflicts.. and your kids may end up calling you the old man when its all done.

Frolick around with the American, have fun..but
Stick to the desi girl when its time to settle down.

As I said, I don't envision myself with an American girl (even a Pakistani American) in the future, for some of the reasons you noted in your post. However, there are some traits in American women that I would really appreciate in my future Pakistani partner, such as self-sustenance, less dependencies. I would want some "Pakistaniaat" in my kids of course (a long way ahead though). I want marriage to serve the purpose of companionship, as a quest for happiness than a means of necessity. I don't want myself to be compared with others in society.

As I said, I don't envision myself with an American girl (even a Pakistani American) in the future, for some of the reasons you noted in your post. However, there are some traits in American women that I would really appreciate in my future Pakistani partner, such as self-sustenance, less dependencies. I would want some "Pakistaniaat" in my kids of course (a long way ahead though). I want marriage to serve the purpose of companionship, as a quest for happiness than a means of necessity. I don't want myself to be compared with others in society.

What's wrong with Pakistani American girls?

Are you trying to get an arranged marriage or looking for a girl yourself?

Looking for a girl is much easier during college...

Then you find out that the girl wont "exactly" fit with your family.. unless you have a very liberal family.

Back
Top Bottom