What's new

Crucial BrahMos missile test fails

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
In a setback, a crucial test on Monday of the 290 km-range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile carried out by the Army failed, following which the Army officially “withdrew” an earlier press statement in which it had said the test was successful. The failure of the test on Monday was a setback to the Army’s efforts to operationalise another regiment of the BrahMos weapon system.

The Army on Monday had test-fired the missile from the Car Nicobar Island to operationalise another regiment of the BrahMos weapon system. The Block III variant of the BrahMos with steep dive capability was launched by an Army unit from a mobile autonomous launcher at about 11 am on Monday. But the missile failed to hit the designated target on Trak Island at an extended range, sources said. “The test has failed,” sources confirmed.

The 8.4 metre-long missile can fly at 2.8 times the speed of sound and is capable of carrying conventional warheads of up to 300 kg for a range of 290 km.

Featuring a very low radar signature, it can be launched from land, ship, submarines and air platforms. BrahMos Aerospace is currently working to develop the submarine-launched, air-launched and hyper-sonic version of the missile.

Crucial BrahMos missile test fails | idrw.org

Crucial BrahMos missile test fails | The Asian Age

Last edited:
Not a good time for missile launches for us i guess... Few failures this month already...

IRDW really wants us to believe this shit ?
And kindly do not use this "sources" BS.

But the missile failed to hit the designated target on Trak Island at an extended range, sources said.
That is too little information. I can speculate at least a dozen failure points and all of them are equally valid and that is no good. I suggest people let this thread die unless more information is available.

That is too little information. I can speculate at least a dozen failure points and all of them are equally valid and that is no good. I suggest people let this thread die unless more information is available.
The source put as back up for the claim Press TV is more reliable then them.
Army release statement & provide photos of the test but later remove that due to its done in strategic A&N command, which amused our MOD officials to make public such news.

Actually i tried hard searching for distance between car nicobor and trak island.The whole thing is a bit fishy. The "success" was reported in 2 media briefings in the form of press releases. The first one was released in afternoon and later withdrawn. The second one was at 810 pm. And yet next day Army withdrew it stating failure.

Now most guesstimate the range between trak and car nicobar at 212 kms. This brahmos was suppose to be a block 3 variant with lots of maneuverability and steep dive capability. Now if the block 3 did 212 kms in a sea skimming mode (a lo lo lo) mission whereas most folks believe the sea skimming mode is only 90-110 kms max then can you imagine the consequences.
MTCR restriction states Brahmos range 290 kms where sea skimming mode (lo-lo-lo) profile is 90-110 kms
whereas
Brahmos block 3 test at sea skimming mode was 212 kms (key word extended range and block 3) then clearly the brahmos is much more than mere 290 kms range (especially since sea skimming is a way of Anti Ship missiles or Aircraft Carrier killers)

Thus this test has to be a FAILURE as the success would result in more questions which i am sure India wont like to answer.

If the test did normal course of mix (hi lo) both thn perhaps the test was a failure but the words of Block 3 extended range seems to be a bit too much to digest with not one but two press releases stating success first

Back
Top Bottom