What's new

Critical reports without approval forbidden

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
A positive development in terms of fighting information manipulation and rumormongering.

Critical reports without approval forbidden

China’s media watchdog issued a notice on Wednesday forbidding journalists from writing critical reports without first gaining approval from their employers.

The notice, issued by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, also requires media outlets to prohibit reporters from privately establishing online platforms to publish critical stories.

The notice further decreed that reporters are also banned from involvement in media business operations such as marketing, and media outlets are not allowed to require editors and journalists to promote sales.

The move is officially intended to strike against China’s “fake journalists,” who authorities say extort money through blackmail. The administration requested its local branches to boost a campaign to crack down on fake news and ban journalists and media outlets from the practice, according to the Global Times.

“This notice doesn’t mean reporters can’t write any critical reports or investigative stories. It means journalists can’t do those stories without approval,” said Zhang Zhi’an, an associate professor of the School of Communication and Design at Sun Yat-sen University.

The move, however, has proved divisive among journalists with some arguing that the notice might have a chilling effect on any form of critical reporting.

An experienced reporter working in a local newspaper in Chengdu told the Global Times on condition of anonymity that it is necessary to crack down on fake news, but the notice should clarify what the standards really are for these “critical reports without approval.”

A Shanghai-based media expert surnamed Wei also said that reporters might avoid such stories in fear that some organisations and companies would reject interview requests by accusing them of “blackmailing.”

Netizens on Sina Weibo had strong interest about the issue.

“Is this real? I think critical reports are fine as long as they are based on facts. The problem is that some journalists seek private gain through their jobs. ”

@Shenzhiyuanchenyongl

“It’s a widespread phenomenon now for journalists to blackmail other people.”

Criticize is ok. But no individual journalist to use private critical reports to make money - a kind of corruption.

A common reporter can earn 500k per article from sponsor for criticize the sponsor’s competitor as last criminal case show.

PS. As individual, there are too much critical posts everywhere on the domestic internet. baidu.com,sina.com, sohu.com, qq.com. Hope you guys can read Chinese.

喷子、水军、带路党到处都是啊

I think this is silly, as that would open doors to abuse and suppression. What China really need is a overhauled media law that punishes journalists who are found guilty of spreading fake news and rumors out of malicious intent.

Repression being sold as progress. Being scared of criticism is a sign of weakness. The internet genie is out of the bottle, and there is nothing that can be done to stop the free exchange of information.

I think this is silly, as that would open doors to abuse and suppression. What China really need is a overhauled media law that punishes journalists who are found guilty of spreading fake news and rumors out of malicious intent.
The news report is a poor description. It's just the new fifth generation administration finally cracking down on media corruption. Do not read more into it than that.

Repression being sold as progress. Being scared of criticism is a sign of weakness. The internet genie is out of the bottle, and there is nothing that can be done to stop the free exchange of information.

Alternatively, the Chinese could handover the media to a few hands who are all part of the power structure and they'll have a similar media structure like the US. They might argue about political semantics but ultimately they would do everything to sustain the system from which their very own survival depends on.

Alternatively, the Chinese could handover the media to a few hands who are all part of the power structure and they'll have a similar media structure like the US. They might argue about political semantics but ultimately they would do everything to sustain the system from which their very own survival depends on.

I wouldn't expect us to see eye-to-eye on such a cultural difference, but on this end it is preferred that the government have no power over speech or media.

Now that isn't to say that misleading, false, or one-sided information cant be released by the US government. Or that a specific information outlet can't have an obvious slant. But what it does mean is that somebody is going to give the other side to the information or story. Not every American chooses to seek out different perspectives and narratives from the array of domestic and international sources for news, but having that option is important culturally.

I wouldn't expect us to see eye-to-eye on such a cultural difference, but on this end it is preferred that the government have no power over speech or media.

Now that isn't to say that misleading, false, or one-sided information cant be released by the US government. Or that a specific information outlet can't have an obvious slant. But what it does mean is that somebody is going to give the other side to the information or story. Not every American chooses to seek out different perspectives and narratives from the array of domestic and international sources for news, but having that option is important culturally.

I work in the media in Germany, and believe me, we are not much different to the US. Do make some research on the who is who in the media landscape and particularly with who or organisation they are connectd to. It's a big family. ;)

I work in the media in Germany, and believe me, we are not much different to the US. Do make some research on the who is who in the media landscape and particularly with who or organisation they are connectd to. It's a big family. ;)

The players behind mainstream outlets are well known, precisely because they cannot squash that information. It is always better to have 20 sources, some who may have questionable motives, than 1 source (government), who has only one purpose.

I will be visiting Germany next month for the first time. I am really looking forward to experiencing the culture! But I digress....

The players behind mainstream outlets are well known, precisely because they cannot squash that information. It is always better to have 20 sources, some who may have questionable motives, than 1 source (government), who has only one purpose.

I will be visiting Germany next month for the first time. I am really looking forward to experiencing the culture! But I digress....

There are at best a handful of sources that reach the majority, the trick is to let the few off-stream media to survive but never let them come close to dominate the prerogative of interpretation (particularly in foreign policy). Voilà, there you have your freedom of the press. ;)

What part of Germany are you going to visit? Maybe I can give you some tips.

What part of Germany are you going to visit? Maybe I can give you some tips.

Munich is the lucky winner of the "host OCguy" prize. :D

I have family that has gone ex-pat, and know several frequent visitors, but all anyone tells me is that I need to prepare for oceans of beer and sausages. Other than Dachau, not much is scheduled. I am under the impression Americans aren't as interesting in to Germans as they are in some countries, but I am hoping to strike up some friendly non-political chat with any English speaking locals I find in pubs/bars/etc.

Munich is the lucky winner of the "host OCguy" prize. :D

I have family that has gone ex-pat, and know several frequent visitors, but all anyone tells me is that I need to prepare for oceans of beer and sausages. Other than Dachau, not much is scheduled. I am under the impression Americans aren't as interesting in to Germans as they are in some countries, but I am hoping to strike up some friendly non-political chat with any English speaking locals I find in pubs/bars/etc.

Well, in order to have a lot of fun, don't wave too much your flag, the best would be not to wave the flag at all. What you might think as leftist leberal ideology is for most of us almost at the far right spectrum of our political landscape. Don't even try to defend the NSA, drone attacks and the Iraq War!

I hope that you will be mentally prepared, and have a lot of fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom