What's new

Cricket

Bangladesh complete WI whitewash

Bangladesh celebrates victory over West Indies winning by 4 wickets on the 4th day of the second test match West Indies v Bangladesh at Grenada National Stadium, Grenada, July 20. Photo: AFP
Star Online Report
A stunning performance from the stand-in captain Shakib Al Hasan and brilliant innings from Rokibul Hasan led Bangladesh cricket to a historical moment by clinching the away test series 2-0 against West Indies.

Sakib's unbeaten 96 off 97 balls and Rokib's 65 off 99 balls gave no chance to West Indies to fight against Bangladesh.

Sakib's five wicket haul in the second innings restricted West Indies only for 214 at the 1st session of fourth day.

"This is the best day for Bangladesh cricket. The guys have been supporting me very well so I don't feel any pressure. Raqibul played a gem of an innings. I thought attack was the best form of defense.", Sakib's reaction after the win.

Having more than 150 overs in hand to chase a silly target of 215 in the 4th innings, top order batsmans frustrated once again leaving Bangladesh 67-4.

But 100 run partnership from middle order batsman Rokib and captain Sakib lead Bangladesh win the 2nd test by 4 wickets on the 4th day.

Winning the test match, Bangladesh sealed their first test series win in overseas.

Beating West Indies in the first test, Bangladesh won their first away match in the history of Bangladesh cricket.

Acting captain Sakib Al Hasan judged for both Man of the Match and Man of the Series.

The Daily Star - Details News

COLOMBO: Wily leg-spinner Danish Kaneria grabbed 5-62 as Pakistan inched ahead of Sri Lanka on the second day of the third and final cricket Test here on Tuesday.

Off-sinner Saeed Ajmal chipped in with 3-70 as Pakistan, bowled out for 299 in the first innings, hit back to dismiss Sri Lanka for 233 in the final session of an absorbing day’s play.

The tourists were 16-1 in their second knock at stumps to take an overall lead of 82 runs with nine wickets in hand on a pitch aiding spin at the Sinhalese sports club.

Kaneria took his 13th five-wicket haul as the ball turned and bounced to claim 14 wickets on the second day after seven had fallen on the first.

Sri Lanka’s left-arm spinner Rangana Herath bowled Khurram Manzoor in the day’s final over to leave Fawad Alam unbeaten on 14 and skipper Younus Khan on zero.

Sri Lanka owe it to a fluent 79 from Mahela Jayawardene, a brave 44 from the twice injured Tillakaratne Dilshan and shoddy fielding by Pakistan to ensure the deficit was not threatening.

Sri Lanka were tottering at 181-8 when Dilshan stepped in to stem the rot with the tailenders despite a broken finger on his right hand that prevented him from keeping wicket in the morning.

Dilshan hit two sixes and as many boundaries and inspired the last two batsmen, Herath and Thilan Thushara, to add a further 52 runs.

Just before he was the last man to be dismissed, Dilshan suffered a bloody cut above the left eye as a ball from Ajmal crashed through the helmet, prompting immediate medical attention on the field.

Pakistan will consider themselves unlucky to see Dilshan conjure the rescue act as umpire Ian Gould turned down an appeal for a catch at short-leg off Ajmal before the batsman had scored.

Television replays indicated a clear edge off the bat.

The tourists, however, put down three comfortable catches to allow Sri Lanka to wriggle out of a tight corner.

Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara, who made 45, was dropped twice on 16 and 40, both times by Manzoor in the gully region off young left-arm fast bowler Mohammad Aamer.

Sangakkara put on 40 for the third wicket with Jayawardene after openers Malinda Warnapura and Tharanga Paranavitana were dismissed early to reduce Sri Lanka to 23-2.

All-rounder Angelo Mathews assisted in the rescue act with 31, adding a valuable 71 for the fifth wicket with Jayawardene before he was caught in the slips off Kaneria.

Mathews should have gone on 12 when he nicked Ajmal, but wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal failed to hold a low sharp catch.
Pakistan, who resumed at the overnight score of 289-7, lost their last three wickets in 22 balls for the addition of just 10 runs.

Thushara finished with 5-83, his maiden five-wicket haul in seven Tests, while Nuwan Kulasekera claimed 3-47.

Sri Lanka are aiming for a clean sweep of the three-match series after winning the previous two Tests. — AFP

DAWN.COM | Cricket | Kaneria?s five wickets keep Sri Lanka down

odi will be very interesting pakistan have put very very strong team ahead of odi

Bangladesh 246/9 (50 ov)

West Indies 194 (43.4 ov)

Bangladesh won by 52 runs against West India on first ODI. Good job Bangladesh. :tup: :cheers:

Lets win the ODI series as well Insh'Allah..........

Razzak bowls Tigers to victory

Sun, Jul 26th, 2009 8:16 pm BdST

Dial 2324 from your mobile for latest news
Dhaka, July 26 (bdnews24.com) –Left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak made a memorable comeback with 4-39 as Bangladesh won the first of the three-match one-day international series against West Indies by a comprehensive 52 runs at Windsor Park, Dominica on Sunday.

West Indies were bundled out for 194 all out in 43.4 overs after Bangladesh amassed a modest 246-9 in 50 overs, thanks to half-centuries from Mohammad Ashraful and Shakib Al Hasan

bdnews24.com/ar/lg/0406 hours

Great job bangladesh......excellent news......congrats on this great victory.......

West Indies crumble to spin

The Bulletin by Siddhartha Talya

July 26, 2009
Text size: A | A

Bangladesh 246 for 9 (Ashraful 57, Shakib 54, Roach 5-44) beat West Indies 194 (Smith 65, Razzak 4-39)
by 52 runs
Scorecard and ball-by-ball details
How they were out

Shakib Al Hasan, yet again, was the architect of Bangladesh's success as he delivered a fine allround performance to lead his team to a 52-run win in the series opener in Dominica. His fighting half-century helped his team post a formidable total on a slow pitch; his tactic of opening the bowling with left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak succeeded in denting West Indies early in their chase, and his dismissal of Devon Smith helped strangle the resistance which threatened to cause an upset. Mohammad Ashraful and Mahmudullah backed Shakib's effort with important contributions while fighting through a disciplined bowling performance led by Kemar Roach's five-for.

West Indies v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Dominica Report | Cricket News | West Indies v Bangladesh 2009 | Cricinfo.com

As I have predicted Bangladesh team would be better off with out Ashraf captaincy. It seem team is more confident thus better performance.

west indian cricketers are very very bad they love money more than their country if i would be chris gayle i will play for free for my nation nothing makes feels better when u do the job for ur hole nation so pitty to westindian players

west indian cricketers are very very bad they love money more than their country if i would be chris gayle i will play for free for my nation nothing makes feels better when u do the job for ur hole nation so pitty to westindian players

You don't like bd much, do you? I understand we played with their 2nd line player but give us some credit for win bro. will you :D

yes u will get credit for doing so well but still i think west indies should beated u all hands up but their players turn their ***** in ur favour any way yes i do like bangladesh no doubt about it but i dont like bangalis who are anti pak specially BCB who uses to hide in BCCI ***

i dont like bangalis who are anti pak specially BCB who uses to hide in BCCI ***

I agree with you on this. There are Bangali nationalist that accutally hate pakistan and Islam as a whole. BCB cricket can not do much because we have bharati dalal in power now so they have been force not to side with pakistan. Believe me BCB is not against pakistan team or Bd in boarder sense. Bd loves pakistan team.

congs to bangladesh cirket fans i hape its strating of victory line

congrats bangladesh.

how come west indies lost, even thought they were in strong position against India.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom