What's new

Crane accident in Makkah claims several lives, hundreds injured

Maira La said:

Saudi Civil Defence authority says that 87 killed and another 183 injured as crane falls in Grand Mosque.

ec6873313f4f4899833fd79da5d92d19_18.jpg

Bad weather is thought to be behind the crane collapse [Reuters]

At least 87 people have been killed and 183 others injured after a crane collapsed in Mecca's Grand Mosque on Friday, Saudi Arabia's civil defence authority says.

Al Jazeera's Hasan Patel, reporting from Mecca, said witnesses told him that a crane fell on the third floor of the Grand Mosque around 5.45pm.

Our correspondent said the mosque was packed, even though the incident happened shortly before the 6.30pm prayer.

"Dozens of ambulances are heading to the site. The authorities closed off the area shortly afterwards," he said.

"This whole place is already a giant construction site. What made it worse is that around 5.30pm there was severe rain and it's just gushing down the road," he said.

"I am surrounded by people who are grieving. The mood here is of sadness."

Al Jazeera's Omar Al Saleh said bad weather was thought to be the cause of the collapse. Saudi Arabia has been hit by strong sand storms in the past few days.

Pictures circulating on social media showed pilgrims in bloodied robes and masses of debris from a part of the crane that seemed to have crashed through a ceiling.

Mecca is Islam's holiest site. Pilgrims from around the world have been converging on the city and the mosque for the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which starts on September 21.

Scores killed in crane collapse in Mecca Grand Mosque - Al Jazeera English

Last edited:
Horrific !!! We humans dont understand one thing . Our sins may not be answered at once but answer will be there for sure . Today I remember Utrakand flood incident . Corrupted human minds cant play with eternal forces .

Bro since you are asking am telling tjis as far as info I can gather till 12.30 IST death toll raised to 102 . 175 injured due to panic alone ...

But its not officials am waiting for other sources to conform

87 dead, my mum and dad are ok, they stopped ummrah and now they let people continue.
Yeah then my source is correct and accurate ... prayers already taking place

Latest : Heavy wind may caused crane clasped . But lightening strike not ruled out !!! 87 officially dead which contradict my conformed 94 casualties but 184 injured .

298417_33973575.jpg

LAHORE, MAKKAH: (Dunya News, Web Desk) – Crane accident in Makkah on Friday claimed 52 lives while hundreds were injured as the construction project was going on in the holy city,
reported Dunya News.
c15(1).jpg

According to the foreign media agency, construction project was going on in Makkah as a crane fell due to hurricane, claiming 52 lives and injuring hundreds others.

Crane accident in Makkah claims several lives, hundreds injured

my mum and dad saw the crane go down they were on they to the mosque

I hope they are OK in any case its hard to forget such incidents.
R.I.P I hope there will be proper flow of info as many families waiting for news.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom