What's new

CPEC panel okays ambitious Karachi coastline plan

A very bad news for UAE.

Not good news for UAE real estate market.
Though I do not agree to the point that it would be challenging UAE ad they are generations ahead and a mere 3 to 4 bn usd won't make any difference at all.
Having said that the emiratis will be ganging up and sponsoring or hatching schemes against you if they even get a hint of a challenge to their tourist supremacy in the region. One just needs to look at beirut history and UAE and GCC role.
We need to stop making such comments for a few decades

Though I do not agree to the point that it would be challenging UAE ad they are generations ahead and a mere 3 to 4 bn usd won't make any difference at all.
Having said that the emiratis will be ganging up and sponsoring or hatching schemes against you if they even get a hint of a challenge to their tourist supremacy in the region. One just needs to look at beirut history and UAE and GCC role.
We need to stop making such comments for a few decades
UAE already sabotages 70s Karachi and Gawadar business hub execution plans. This is now the second attempt, but now the Chinese are directly involved.

UAE already sabotages 70s Karachi and Gawadar business hub execution plans. This is now the second attempt, but now the Chinese are directly involved.
Well that had more to do with our policies and internal politics fiasco than UAE. UAE in 80s was nowhere close to what it is jow..both economically and politically.
But honestly.. as a nation we need to stop our chest thumping and pompous attitude. Let the eggs hatch first

This is KPT land which directly comes under federal govt and Sindh govt can't do a jack shit about it. Relocating Machar colong residents will be a problem but seems like, this project has been initiated to bypass Sindh govt authority completely so that, there won't be any legal issue like incase of Bundle Islands project proposal. Having said that, this looks another Orangle Line type shinny project with little to add in economy. More details awaited for better analysis.

leading to revamp one of the oldest city slums Machhar Colony relocating its more than half a million population — is an initiative of the Ministry of Maritime Affairs.
Built-in Point of Failure of this project
I am pretty sure PPPP will ruin this one too...
population in that area is of mixed origin Bangali, Barmi, Baloch and some Pukhtoon population resides there .... PPP not only have sizable vote bank in that area but also control the underworld and mafias of that area; consider it mini as lyari in terms of mafia and gang supported by local PPP leaders.

ANP and MQM is not any more active in this area, both in terms of politics and activities related to criminal world.

But my biggest issue with this project is Why Minister of port and shipping is consistently showing interest in real estate project than the maritime and shipping affairs ..... ????

after the failure of their first proposal now this new one .... ???

I don't think it will serve the interest of PTI and to the people of Karachi and have potential of becoming one of the scandals of PTI government.

Why Minister of port and shipping is consistently showing interest in real estate project
Easy money
Not good news for UAE real estate market.
That thing has been dead since 2008
So Chinese do not want to approve ML-1 railway plan.

But they have approved the Karachi Coastal Comprehensive Development Zone .

I thought ML-1 project is more important to CPEC and Pakistan. What am I missing here?
Railways don’t turn a profit, while you can make billions selling property.

Lol..another fancy real estate project that will not see a day light like Ravi river project...only to reward real estate mafia ...CPEC is now real state body too..lol while mostly CpEC project already on hold as confined by Pm assistant

population in that area is of mixed origin Bangali, Barmi, Baloch and some Pukhtoon population resides there .... PPP not only have sizable vote bank in that area but also control the underworld and mafias of that area; consider it mini as lyari in terms of mafia and gang supported by local PPP leaders.

ANP and MQM is not any more active in this area, both in terms of politics and activities related to criminal world.

But my biggest issue with this project is Why Minister of port and shipping is consistently showing interest in real estate project than the maritime and shipping affairs ..... ????

after the failure of their first proposal now this new one .... ???

I don't think it will serve the interest of PTI and to the people of Karachi and have potential of becoming one of the scandals of PTI government.

In past many projects in Karachi were taken down or stopped due to PPP ministers asking for large amount of Bribes, PTI is still not so strong in Karachi specially they have not take any major action to address Karachi's issues.

MQM is history in Karachi, they lost their voter, they lost constituencies and they are no longer Powerful to run major criminal mafia's, they scattered as predicted once Altaf is either dead or turned out to be a traitor, MQM had potential no doubt but one man has ruined this whole Party just to keep his own leadership.

Honestly I don't think PTI is interested in Karachi, they are more Focused of Punjab and KPK, and that is why they are losing popularity in Sindh mainly Karachi, I don't know why that even a top of line leader like IK is scared of going on offensive in Karachi, he can literally take ownership of Karachi, make Alliances with other people like Mustafa kamal, but unfortunately every time they try to enter Karachi Politics they take Jamat-e-Islami route which is stupid, JI is a dead elephant and they do have street powerful but they don't have much representations in Parliament.

I see now that Pakistanis are realizing that CPEC was not a game changer but a noose around its neck.

CPEC panel okays ambitious Karachi coastline plan
Imran AyubPublished September 26, 2021 - Updated about an hour ago
Facebook Count
Twitter Share

ACCORDING to a model, this is how the Karachi Coastal Comprehensive Development Zone will look after the project’s completion on the reclaimed land of KPT. The sketch was shared by federal Maritime Affairs Minister Syed Ali Zaidi.

ACCORDING to a model, this is how the Karachi Coastal Comprehensive Development Zone will look after the project’s completion on the reclaimed land of KPT. The sketch was shared by federal Maritime Affairs Minister Syed Ali Zaidi.
• Coastal comprehensive development zone to be established on KPT’s reclaimed land
• $3.5bn plan envisages new berths for port, new fishery port, harbour bridge to unlock Pakistan’s Blue Economy
• Centre calls the initiative a game-changer for Pakistan

KARACHI: Calling it a “game-changer”, the federal government on Saturday unveiled an ambitious plan to rebuild Karachi’s coastline under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) with $3.5 billion “direct Chinese investment” that aims to overhaul city’s seaboard with new berths for the port, a new fishery port and a ‘majestic harbour bridge’ connecting it with Manora islands and Sandspit beach.
The Karachi Coastal Comprehensive Development Zone (KCCDZ) — spread over 640 hectares or 1,581 acres on the western backwaters marsh land of the Karachi Port Trust (KPT) leading to revamp one of the oldest city slums Machhar Colony relocating its more than half a million population — is an initiative of the Ministry of Maritime Affairs.
The KCCDZ is the latest addition to CPEC projects aimed at providing Karachi with an ultra modern urban infrastructure zone, placing it among the top port cities of the world.
The announcement came from the top when a key member of Prime Minister Imran Khan’s cabinet shared some details of the project and claimed it carried “enormous potential for global investors as well”.
“And the best thing of this project is that it’s solely based on foreign [Chinese] investment without any loan,” said Minister for Maritime Affairs Syed Ali Zaidi while speaking to Dawn.
Also read: Slow pace of work on CPEC irks Chinese companies
“The Chinese work so fast and I guess that it would not take more than five or six years to complete the project. Under the agreed plan, we would relocate some 20,000 to 25,000 families from Machhar Colony and relocate them. Believe me it’s a huge thing for Pakistan. It’s something massive. It would bring multifold advantages to Pakistan’s maritime economy and further strengthen our coastal development.”
He said after assuming the office as the minister for maritime affairs he vigorously looked for the opportunity for the KCCDZ and made all-out efforts to include it in the CPEC projects. For this purpose, he added, he consulted a number of Chinese companies, investors and officials of the neighbouring country and his efforts finally yielded results.
Earlier, the federal minister shared the “monumental decision” on a social media platform, coming up with sketchy details of the KCCDZ. He, however, did not explain terms and conditions that convinced the Chinese investors to pour in $3.5 billion (around Rs592 billion).
“A monumental decision was taken during the 10th Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC) on CPEC, held on 23rd September 2021 at Islamabad and Beijing,” Mr Zaidi tweeted while sharing a formal statement of the announcement.
“The two countries agreed to include KCCDZ under the CPEC framework. KCCDZ, an initiative of the Ministry of Maritime Affairs focuses on providing Karachi with an ultra modern urban infrastructure zone, placing Karachi amongst the top port cities of the world.”
The minister also shared animated and picturesque images of a developed KCCDZ, showing a huge developed coastline dotted with multiple buildings, concrete structures and planned neighbourhoods without mentioning their utilities. He claimed all the developments would take place over “reclaimed area of the KPT” spanning over huge 640 hectares or 1581.474 acres.
“Developed on reclaimed area of approximately 640 hectares on the Western back waters marsh land of KPT, KCCDZ will be a flagship project for not only Pakistan but the entire region,” the statement claimed.
“In accordance with PM Imran Khan’s vision for promoting low-cost housing, KCCDZ will also provide residential resettlement to more than 20,000 families living in the surrounding slums. The environment-friendly mega KCCDZ envisages four new berths for KPT, adding depth to Pakistan’s expanding maritime sector.”
The project, the statement added, would also house a state-of-the-art fishing port, with a world-class fisheries export processing zone to boost Pakistan’s trade potential. It would also drastically improve the marine ecosystem and reduce pollution by establishing a water treatment plant at the mouth of the Lyari River, it said.
“The KCCDZ will connect with the rest of Karachi through a majestic harbour bridge rising from behind Pakistan’s Deepwater Port, with exit ramps for Manora Islands and Sandspit beach,” it elaborated.
The statement claimed KCCDZ would unlock “Pakistan’s unexplored Blue Economy and significantly enhance development and industrial cooperation between the two brotherly countries. The KCCDZ is a game-changer for Pakistan”.
Published in Dawn, September 26th, 2021

I am extremely sorry for my comments, but what I am feeling about this project is :

Guttar kinary chori sarak.

All aid will be used to construct things in Pakistan, but our own money is here for the looting of anyone who can loot.

So a shift from strategic infrastructure to land grab ?

Now I am not sure if any good news related to CPEC is actually any good at all.
Will stop outflows to Dubai real estate market.
I see now that Pakistanis are realizing that CPEC was not a game changer but a noose around its neck.
* Your neck

FTFY.

I don't know why that even a top of line leader like IK is scared of going on offensive in Karachi, he can literally take ownership of Karachi,
Its not just IK whole PTI in Karachi is bunch of scared people .....
JI is a dead elephant and they do have street powerful but they don't have much representations in Parliament.
Even a dead elephant have its worth JI still hold 5%-10% dedicated vote bank in almost every constituency of Karachi, just look the election result of past election PTI lost seats with very think margin in most case so even if PTI manage to win half of the vote bank of JI in Karachi their chances of winning will increase
make Alliances with other people like Mustafa kamal,
bhai Mustafa Kamal have a baggage of past with him even Urdu speaking community is not accepting him

Karachi in its basic political orientation is central left city with its flavor different than PPP which also claim to be a central left party, for future politics of Karachi discouragement is needed for any party who's lien toward any particular race as of now only PTI and JI both have no visible lien towards any particular race.

Back
Top Bottom