What's new

CPEC: Gwadar Port starts the exports to China and other countries

war&peace

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
7 Aug, 2018

cpec-gwadar-port-starts-the-exports-to-china-and-other-countries-1533585547-2866.jpg

SHARES
GWADAR - Gwadar Port starts marble exporting business with the arrival of the trucks loaded with Balochistan marble on the port for further export to China and other countries.

This is a very good signal to the new Pakistani Government, which indicates the fully operationalization of Gwadar Port .

READ MORE: CPEC projects have no immediate debt burden on Pakistan: Report
It will not only supportive for releasing congestion problem at Karachi Port but will also bring more foreign currencies by increasing exports of Pakistani products, which are badly needed for the economic development of Pakistan.

Mr. Zhang Baozhong, the Chairman & CEO of China Overseas Ports Holding Company Ltd. (COPHC), says since the majority of marbles are produced in Baluchistan province and the buyers are mainly Chinese businessman, it will be more economical and convenient to use Gwadar Port as the exporting port.

READ MORE: CPEC centre of excellence inaugurated in Balochistan
With the view to support this business, COPHC will provide three (3) months free storage inside the port and many other incentives to marble exporters.

He further mentioned that China Overseas Ports Holding Company (COPHC) & Gwadar Port Authority (GPA) are jointly taking initiative to introduce the 1st specialized international exhibition i.e. ‘Gwadar Marbles & Minerals Expo 2018’ in the city of opportunities which is the right place to target the Mining, Marble & Minerals processing industry.

Gwadar will in all intents and purposes remain a white elephant until it is at least tied to upper Pakistan with good quality road network and rail network - via the Western Route. When this is done and I expect at least a decade Gwadar will take off like a rocket. Until then Karachi has the sole monopoly because of the present road/rail network. Any improvement to eastern route merely reinforces Karachi's monopoly. Who in their right mind would use Gwadar when it is longer distance, cost of transport is more expensive and less shipping links?

OleqjdF.png

MOwFU2R.jpg

Businessmen have the most sensitive nose for sniffing business opportunities. :)
But these will remain restricted in Gwadar as long as it is effectively cut off from rest of the country. Poor roads and considerably longer distance means Karachi offers far better point of trading then Gwadar at present. It's vast hinterland, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia and Chima are essentially divorced from Gwadar.

In fact I expect in the short term that Karachi will even get more advantage against Gwadar because most of the CPEC road/rail investment is going into turning the eastern route into a six lane motorway/expressway and improving the already existent rail line to handle speeds of 190KPH. I expect and that is if the political will and China remains engaged that it will be at least a decade before the western route starts offering a viable alternative to the eastern route.

But these will remain restricted in Gwadar as long as it is effectively cut off from rest of the country. Poor roads and considerably longer distance means Karachi offers far better point of trading then Gwadar at present. It's vast hinterland, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia and Chima are essentially divorced from Gwadar.

In fact I expect in the short term that Karachi will even get more advantage against Gwadar because most of the CPEC road/rail investment is going into turning the eastern route into a six lane motorway/expressway and improving the already existent rail line to handle speeds of 190KPH. I expect and that is if the political will and China remains engaged that it will be at least a decade before the western route starts offering a viable alternative to the eastern route.
I trust businessmen's wisdom in calculating cost and benefit. Sooner or later, improving an existing line through a well populated region could become more expensive than building a new line in a sparse region, particularly when the sparse region enjoys some tax reduction.

Most of the western route is being constructed by the Pakistani government so not dependent upon China but with the will of the gov of Pakistan.
But I believe the western in the long term is going to become more important than the eastern route . Why ? Because the main freight line of cpec coming out of khunjarab is gonna pass through ghizar district to chiral and then to peshawar to gwader.
Through this the whole western corridor will reap the most of the benefits of cpec in the long run .

Thank you Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and President Xi Jinping for making this a reality in just five-years in our beautiful Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom