What's new

CPEC: China unveils rail network upgrade, gas pipeline plans for Pakistan

Tripoli

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The two projects are worth $10 billion
China will invest about $8.5 billion to upgrade Pakistan’s rail network and to build a key gas pipeline with Iran to meet the country’s energy needs, a media report said on Thursday.

The Central Development Working Party (CDWP), a Pakistan body to authorise major projects, on Wednesday approved the two projects worth $10 billion. China will provide loans equivalent to 85 per cent ($8.5 billion) of the cost of each project.

The cost of upgrading of Pakistan Railways existing Mainline (ML-I) and establishment of a dry port near Havelian is $8.2 billion, which the Chinese government will finance with a $7 billion concessionary loan, The Express Tribune reported.

Part of the CPEC package

This project is part of $46 billion China—Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) package and is covered under the CPEC Framework Agreement, signed during the April 2015 visit of the Chinese President to Pakistan.

The estimated cost of Gwadar-Nawabshah LNG Terminal & Pipeline project, also cleared in principle, is $2 billion, including $1.4 billion Chinese loan. This project is strategically important for Pakistan as it will eventually link the country’s gas network with Iranian system.

“The exact costs of both the projects will be firmed up after finalising financing arrangements,” CDWP Chairman and Minister for Planning, Ahsan Iqbal, said.

“After finalisation of the financing arrangements, both the projects will be taken to the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) with firmed up cost for final approval,” he said.

Under 4 p.c. of traffic volume

At present, Pakistan Railways is picking up less than 4 per cent of the traffic volume of the country, which the government intends to increase to at least 20 per cent by 2025.

The project is planned to be completed in two phases in five years by 2021 on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) mode. Phase-I will be completed by December 2017 and Phase-II by the year 2021.

The CDWP also cleared Gwadar-Nawabshah LNG Terminal and Pipeline Project at an estimated cost of roughly $2 billion or Rs. 206.6 billion.

85 p.c. financing by Chinese Exim Bank

The Chinese Exim bank will provide 85 per cent of the financing under government-to-government mode. The EPC contract will be given to a Chinese company. The pipeline project will be included in the CPEC framework.

The key objective of this project is to overcome gas shortages by importing LNG and its transportation through Gwadar-Nawabshah pipeline.

In phase-I, the pipeline will follow the coastal pipeline corridor, which was formally established for the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline. In phase-II, a 90-kilometer patch will be constructed from Gwadar to Pakistan-Iran border to tie the national network with Iranian system.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...ipeline-plans-for-pakistan/article8709834.ece

I heard many news about China investment in Pakistan a few days back so i was wondering whether $46 billion has reached $100 billion or not? :D

:pakistan::china:

Well it was $46 Billion

According to Ahsan Iqbal Dasu and Bhasha Dam will be included in CPEC which will worth $26 Billion
After that News came of this $8.2 Billion For Railway Upgrade.

46+26+8.2 = $80.2 Billion :enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

:china::china::pakistan::pakistan::victory::victory:

This is all good news but guys, I have one question; when we can't even charge any levy from China (according to the contracts), how can we benefit from CPEC?

There is something very troubling about all these so called investments which Pakistanis are failing to understand or/are choosing to let pass. Let's leave the 85% loan aside, but why is that all the EPC contracts (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) go to Chinese companies? CPEC would have already kick started business in Pak if these were handed out to Pakistani companies. I'm more than sure that Pakistan has enough of such companies to handle such projects. Chinese get both interest and additional payment for services. I'm not blaming the Chinese here.. who would let go such juicy opportunities?? but why is there no tender process in Pakistan for CPEC?

If you don't have an answer please don't bother replying with hate messages. I'm curious so asked.

I heard many news about China investment in Pakistan a few days back so i was wondering whether $46 billion has reached $100 billion or not? :D

:pakistan::china:
MoU was signed last year for this projects last year during chinesr PM visit.
Now this project is materliazing.

There is something very troubling about all these so called investments which Pakistanis are failing to understand or/are choosing to let pass. Let's leave the 85% loan aside, but why is that all the EPC contracts (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) go to Chinese companies? CPEC would have already kick started business in Pak if these were handed out to Pakistani companies. I'm more than sure that Pakistan has enough of such companies to handle such projects. Chinese get both interest and additional payment for services. I'm not blaming the Chinese here.. who would let go such juicy opportunities?? but why is there no tender process in Pakistan for CPEC?

If you don't have an answer please don't bother replying with hate messages. I'm curious so asked.
They are providing the loans on concession so they are given priority on contract awarding.

Well it was $46 Billion

According to Ahsan Iqbal Dasu and Bhasha Dam will be included in CPEC which will worth $26 Billion
After that News came of this $8.2 Billion For Railway Upgrade.

46+26+8.2 = $80.2 Billion :enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

:china::china::pakistan::pakistan::victory::victory:

this 3.2 billion is not additional investment......As mentioned in article

This project is part of $46 billion China—Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) package and is covered under the CPEC Framework Agreement, signed during the April 2015 visit of the President to Pakistan.

this 3.2 billion is not additional investment......As mentioned in article

This project is part of $46 billion China—Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) package and is covered under the CPEC Framework Agreement, signed during the April 2015 visit of the President to Pakistan.

They allocated 3.8 billion for Railways. agree ok 8.2 -3.8 = 4.4 Billion Dollars still greater then $75 Billions

What did I tell you all, more investments yet to come, that's not all folks. :pakistan::china:

Back
Top Bottom