What's new

Covid killed his father. Then came $1 million in medical bills

Reaction score
Country
Canada

One coronavirus survivor manages her medical bills in color-coded folders: green, red and tan for different types of documents. A man whose father died of the virus last fall uses an Excel spreadsheet to organise the outstanding debts. It has 457 rows, one for each of his father’s bills, totaling over $1 million.

These are people who are facing the financial version of long-haul COVID: They’ve found their lives and finances upended by medical bills resulting from a bout with the virus.

Their desks and coffee tables have stacks of billing documents. They are fluent in the jargon of coronavirus medical coding, after hundreds of hours of phone calls discussing the charges with hospitals, doctors and insurers.

“People think there is some relief program for medical bills for coronavirus patients,” said Jennifer Miller, a psychologist near Milwaukee who is working with a lawyer to challenge thousands in outstanding debt from two emergency room visits last year. “It just doesn’t exist.”

Americans with other serious illnesses regularly face exorbitant and confusing bills after treatment, but things were supposed to be different for coronavirus patients. Many large health plans wrote special rules, waiving copayments and deductibles for coronavirus hospitalisations. When doctors and hospitals accepted bailout funds, Congress barred them from “balance-billing” patients — the practice of seeking additional payment beyond what the insurer has paid.

Interviews with more than a dozen patients suggest those efforts have fallen short. Some with private insurance are bearing the costs of their coronavirus treatments, and the bills can stretch into the tens of thousands of dollars.

“There are things I’ve researched, and known I should do, but I have a fear of being blindsided by the bills,” said Lauren Lueder, a 33-year-old teacher who lives in Detroit. She has depleted $7,000 in savings to pay for treatment so far. “You end up with a battery of tests, and every single thing adds up. I don’t have the disposable income to constantly pay for that.”

For 10 months, The New York Times has tracked the high costs of coronavirus testing and treatment through a crowdsourced database that includes more than 800 medical bills submitted by readers.

Those bills show that some hospitals are not complying with the ban on balance billing. Some are incorrectly coding visits, meaning the special coronavirus protections that insurers put in place are not applied. Others are going after debts of patients who died from the virus, pursuing estates that would otherwise go to family members.

Coronavirus patients face significant direct costs: the money pulled out of savings and retirement accounts to pay doctors and hospitals. Many are also struggling with indirect costs, like the hours spent calling providers and insurers to sort out what is actually owed, and the mental strain of worrying about how to pay.

Miller, like many other patients, described trying to sort out her complicated medical charges — in her case in color-coded folders — while also battling the mental “brain fog” that affects as many as half of coronavirus long-haul patients.

“I have a PhD, but this is beyond my abilities,” she said. “I haven’t even begun to look at my 2021 bills because we’re still dealing with 2020 bills. When the bills come nonstop, you can only deal with so much.”

Why US don't have free health care like in Canada? @dbc @Hamartia Antidote

In China this is completely free of charge, back in 2020, the Jiangsu Province even conduct a surgery to replace the lung of a COVID-19 patient in critical condition to save his life, and even that surgery is free of charge, after that, several provinces also practice lung-replacing surgery to their terminal illed COVID-19 patients.

Of cause, thats not solely because the governor of the province want to save lives, it become a healthy competition between provinces to see who control the COVID-19 better, it will certainly be better for their careers if these governors can control the disease better.

Thats why until now, there is not a single death in Jiangsu province, were due to COVID-19, the lung-replace surgery show you they would do whatever it takes to keep this record.

In China this is completely free of charge, back in 2020, the Jiangsu Province even conduct a surgery to replace the lung of a COVID-19 patient in critical condition to save his life, and even that surgery is free of charge, after that, several provinces also practice lung-replacing surgery to their terminal illed COVID-19 patients.

Of cause, thats not solely because the governor of the province want to save lives, it become a healthy competition between provinces to see who control the COVID-19 better, it will certainly be better for their careers if these governors can control the disease better.

Thats why until now, there is not a single death in Jiangsu province, were due to COVID-19, the lung-replace surgery show you they would do whatever it takes to keep this record.

American healthcare even education is a fk joke to be honest , we need to improve

It's free for poor people and those who aren't poor should buy insurance (like Obamacare) so they don't play a gambling game. Obamacare is subsidized in my state if you make less than $195,000 for a family of 4.

BTW in Canada even poor people have to pay taxes. In the US there is an income threshold you have to cross (I think $23,500).

Last edited:
One coronavirus survivor manages her medical bills in color-coded folders: green, red and tan for different types of documents. A man whose father died of the virus last fall uses an Excel spreadsheet to organise the outstanding debts. It has 457 rows, one for each of his father’s bills, totaling over $1 million.

Sounds like the next mini-series for Breaking Bad in the making.

(Seriously though, this kind of balance billing will never be collected.)

These are people who are facing the financial version of long-haul COVID: They’ve found their lives and finances upended by medical bills resulting from a bout with the virus.

Their desks and coffee tables have stacks of billing documents. They are fluent in the jargon of coronavirus medical coding, after hundreds of hours of phone calls discussing the charges with hospitals, doctors and insurers.

“People think there is some relief program for medical bills for coronavirus patients,” said Jennifer Miller, a psychologist near Milwaukee who is working with a lawyer to challenge thousands in outstanding debt from two emergency room visits last year. “It just doesn’t exist.”

Americans with other serious illnesses regularly face exorbitant and confusing bills after treatment, but things were supposed to be different for coronavirus patients. Many large health plans wrote special rules, waiving copayments and deductibles for coronavirus hospitalisations. When doctors and hospitals accepted bailout funds, Congress barred them from “balance-billing” patients — the practice of seeking additional payment beyond what the insurer has paid.

Interviews with more than a dozen patients suggest those efforts have fallen short. Some with private insurance are bearing the costs of their coronavirus treatments, and the bills can stretch into the tens of thousands of dollars.

“There are things I’ve researched, and known I should do, but I have a fear of being blindsided by the bills,” said Lauren Lueder, a 33-year-old teacher who lives in Detroit. She has depleted $7,000 in savings to pay for treatment so far. “You end up with a battery of tests, and every single thing adds up. I don’t have the disposable income to constantly pay for that.”

For 10 months, The New York Times has tracked the high costs of coronavirus testing and treatment through a crowdsourced database that includes more than 800 medical bills submitted by readers.

Those bills show that some hospitals are not complying with the ban on balance billing. Some are incorrectly coding visits, meaning the special coronavirus protections that insurers put in place are not applied. Others are going after debts of patients who died from the virus, pursuing estates that would otherwise go to family members.

Coronavirus patients face significant direct costs: the money pulled out of savings and retirement accounts to pay doctors and hospitals. Many are also struggling with indirect costs, like the hours spent calling providers and insurers to sort out what is actually owed, and the mental strain of worrying about how to pay.

Miller, like many other patients, described trying to sort out her complicated medical charges — in her case in color-coded folders — while also battling the mental “brain fog” that affects as many as half of coronavirus long-haul patients.

“I have a PhD, but this is beyond my abilities,” she said. “I haven’t even begun to look at my 2021 bills because we’re still dealing with 2020 bills. When the bills come nonstop, you can only deal with so much.”

Capitalism don't spare anyone ,even the sick and dead ones.
@jamahir I am sure you have a lot to say on this 😉

Whatever you think of the UK, you have to say that we have one of the best public, free at point of use, health systems in the world.

It is not perfect - but as a UK citizen - you can be sure - that no matter the issue - there is a doctor who will see you and a system that will help you with the best possible treatments available - free of charge.

Whatever you think of the UK, you have to say that we have one of the best public, free at point of use, health systems in the world.

It is not perfect - but as a UK citizen - you can be sure - that no matter the issue - there is a doctor who will see you and a system that will help you with the best possible treatments available - free of charge.

Free healthcare is available in most countries. Most European countries have it. China and Russia have it. And I think in Japan, South Korea they have it too. It's only in the US where it is expensive.

We use the ' best in the world' label too loosely. Many countries have excellent free medical care.

Agree, we sometimes take things for granted here. My younger sister gave birth last year in US(she lives there). Her bill came out to about $15,000, that was just for child birth . I was shocked when she told me that. Luckily she has a good stable well paid job with health insurance, so she had to pay about $2500 by herself. That's still much compared to here where you barely spend anything though. Cant imagine what others who don't have health insurance cover even manage.

Agree, we sometimes take things for granted here. My younger sister gave birth last year in US(she lives there). Her bill came out to about $15,000, that was just for child birth . I was shocked when she told me that. Luckily she has a good stable well paid job with health insurance, so she had to pay about $2500 by herself. That's still much compared to here where you barely spend anything though. Cant imagine what others who don't have health insurance cover even manage.

I have two kids and they were both born in highly regarded Massachusetts hospitals and I didn't pay a nickel. I have no clue of the cost since I never saw the bill since it was all sent to my insurance company. In fact it was so seamless I never even thought about the costs until right now due to you mentioning it.

They just asked for my insurance card and that was that. Not a peep about money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom