What's new

Court orders issuing arrest warrant against Tarique Rahman

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Court orders issuing arrest warrant against Tarique

daily sun | | Court orders issuing arrest warrant against Tarique

Sun Desk

A Dhaka court on Sunday has ordered to issue an arrest warrant against Tarique Rahman, the senior vice chairman of BNP, for bringing him to Bangladesh and producing before the court for the sake of the proper trial through interpol.

The court gave this order following the petition filed by the Anti-Corruption Commission earlier on Sunday for issuing an arrest warrant against BNP senior vice-chairman Tarique Rahman to bring him back.

Judge (in-charge) Md Mozammel Haque of the Dhaka Special Judge’s Court-3 passed the order Sunday afternoon.

Meanwhile, in an immediate reaction, BNP claimed the arrest warrant against Tarique Rahman as a decoy to divert the public focus in different issue.

However, they vowed to fight the matter legally.

Earlier on Sunday advocate Mosharraf Hossain Kajol, the prosecution of a money laundering case against Tarique, filed an application before the court seeking it directive to bring back Tarique after issuing arrest warrant against him with the help of Interpol.

In his petition Kajol said, “Tarique Rahman is now a fugitive accused in the case. That’s why an arrest warrant should be issued through Interpol to produce him before the court for the sake of the proper trial.”

In the petition, the prosecution also mentioned that they came to know from the media reports that Tareque is now staying in London city of UK.

Tarique, now in London, was detained on March 7, 2007, and was allowed to travel abroad for “treatment” in July the following year. He faces 16 cases for laundering money and grenade attack on an Awami League rally on August 21, 2004, among others.

Tarique went to London on condition of not participating at any political activities during his stay there.

Mohammad Ibrahim, an assistant director of the Anti-Corruption Commission, filed the case against Tarique and Giasuddin Al Mamun, an associate and business partner of Tarique, with Cantonment Police Station in October 2009 for laundering Tk 20.41 crore to Singapore between 2003 and 2007.

The charges were pressed against the duo on July 6 last year.

On August 8 in 2011, a Dhaka court framed money laundering charges against Tarique and issued an arrest warrant against him in the case.

================================================================================

Interpol to arrest Tarique: court
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2013-05-26 08:59:20.0 Updated: 2013-05-26 09:23:19.0

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2013/05/26/interpol-to-arrest-tarique-court

A court in Dhaka has issued a warrant of arrest for BNP senior vice chairman Tarique Rahman and it said the Interpol will be asked to execute it because he is now living in London.

Anti-Corruption Commission’s counsel Mosharoff Hossain Kajol moved a petition for Tarique’s arrest in the court of Third Special Judge (Dhaka) . At the end of the

Hearing, the judge in charge of this court Mohammed Mozzamel Haque issued the warrant of arrest.

This is in connection with the case of corruption filed against Rahman during the interim caretaker government (2006-2008), in which the BNP leader secured bail from the Supreme Court and left for UK for ‘medical treatment’ on Sept 11, 2008.

Charges were framed against Tarique Rahman in his absence on Aug 8, 2011 after the court ordered him to be present without success.

Tarique Rahman, lying low for a while, recently was back in news when he attended a BNP function in East London on 20 May and asked for elections to the country’s parliament to be held under a caretaker administration.

He appealed to Bangladeshi expatriates to pile pressure on the current government on this issue.
Tarique's fusilade came in for severe criticism from the Awami League.

Junior Law Minister Qamrul Islam said on that there was an arrest warrant against Tarique. " Court will do whatever necessary to implement the warrant of arrest."

ACC's Assistant Director Mohammad Ibrahim had filed a money-laundering case against Tarique and his friend and business partner Giasuddin Al Mamun in the Dhaka cantonment police station on Oct 26, 2009.

ACC filed charges against the two on Jul 26, 2010.

According to the case statement, Tarique and Mamun collected funds using political influence and siphoned off TK 204 millions to Singapore between 2003 and 2007.

Part of the money, $750,000, was deposited in Mamun’s account in Singapore Citi Bank.

On Sunday, Sonali Bank Cantonment Corporate Division Official Bibhuti Bhushan Sarker was questioned by defence lawyers.

He is the tenth witness questioned in the case.

Next date of its hearing date has been fixed for May 29.

Now, only the London doctors can save Tareque's neck by issuing medical certificate that he is under their treatment. As he is really under treatment, so he will get one. His back has not fully recovered.

But, I wonder why the BD Courts have suddenly become so serious about him? AL is mad with worries about election. But, the past records say it is always the ruling party itself that is responsible for its own downfall. AL is behaving like a man trying to save himself from being eaten by the tiger on the land and then by the crocodile in the water.

Now, only the London doctors can save Tareque's neck by issuing medical certificate that he is under their treatment. As he is really under treatment, so he will get one. His back has not fully recovered.

But, I wonder why the BD Courts have suddenly become so serious about him? AL is mad with worries about election. But, the past records say it is always the ruling party itself that is responsible for its own downfall. AL is behaving like a man trying to save himself from being eaten by the tiger on the land and then by the crocodile in the water.

Are you aware of recent marathon run of tariq. He is running from one country to another for political purposes.Heard also he was in KSA to gather money for hefajot. Now thats giving pains to AL.

ACC can turn to Interpol | The Daily Star

MONDAY, MAY 27, 2013
ARREST OF TARIQUE
ACC can turn to Interpol
BNP retaliates by calling hartal in 2 dists after court clearance
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

A Dhaka court yesterday cleared the way for the Anti-Corruption Commission to seek the help of Interpol in arresting BNP senior Vice-Chairman Tarique Rahman in connection with a money laundering case.

In an immediate reaction, the Bogra and Sirajganj units of the BNP called for daylong hartals in the districts while BNP affiliates Chhatra Dal, Jubo Dal and Swechchhasebak Dal called for countrywide demonstrations for today.

Tarique, the elder son of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia and late president Ziaur Rahman, has been in exile in London since September 2008, when he obtained bail in other cases filed against him. He was arrested in 2007 during an anti-graft crackdown conducted by the military-backed caretaker government of the time.

On August 8, 2011, the court framing money laundering charges against Tarique issued an arrest warrant against him in the case. Police were, however, unable to arrest him as he was, and continues to be, abroad. Tarique has 16 other cases hanging over him.
Yesterday, in the petition in court, ACC lawyer Mosharraf Hossain Kajol said, “Tarique Rahman is now a fugitive accused in the case. That’s why an arrest warrant should be issued through Interpol to produce him before the court for the sake of a proper trial.”

The court granted the ACC plea by issuing a fresh arrest warrant. Later, Kajol told The Daily Star, “We will now send the copy of the court’s order to Interpol through the foreign ministry, requesting Interpol to arrest him and bring him back to Dhaka.”

He also said the Scotland Yard chief would also be contacted for assistance as Tarique is in London. “We will convince London police that Tarique is an accused in a money laundering case. Every country considers financial offence as a major crime,” said Kajol.

Interpol is the world’s largest police organisation with 190 member countries. Its primary role is to assist law enforcement agencies around the world in combating all forms of transnational crime and terrorism.

The ACC had filed the case against Tarique and his business partner Giasuddin Al Mamun in October 2009, in connection with a siphoning out of Tk 20.41 crore to Singapore between 2003 and 2007.

Meanwhile, many consider the ACC move to have Tarique arrested and brought back home as a sharp reaction by the government to Tarique’s recent political activities abroad.

Last week, for the first time since he went into exile in 2008, the powerful son of former premier Khaleda Zia joined a meeting of BNP leaders and supporters in London, where he severely criticised the government.

He also asked party leaders and workers to intensify their agitation against the government at home and abroad to realise their demand for a non-party election-time government.
His remarks at the meeting irked the government and the ruling Awami League-led alliance leaders.

They criticised Tarique, accused him of hatching a conspiracy against the government, and demanded that he be brought back home and tried.

The prevailing situation centring around Tarique also worried the opposition BNP. Senior party figures alleged that the government was planning to harass Tarique again.

“The court did exactly what the state minister for law on Friday said about Tarique Rahman,” claimed BNP spokesperson Shamsuzzaman Dudu at a briefing yesterday.

He said State Minister for Law Quamrul Islam on Friday had said the government would bring back Tarique through Interpol.

A few days ago Shamsuzzaman Dudu told a press conference, “The government fears Tarique as one fears a snake.”

Barrister Rafiqul Islam Mia, a member of the BNP national standing committee, claimed that there was no precedence of issuing an arrest warrant through Interpol for a person under trial.

Tarique also has outstanding arrest warrants in two other cases filed in connection with the gruesome grenade attack on an Awami League rally at Bangabandhu Avenue on August 21, 2004.

According to legal experts, if Tarique returns, he will have to surrender before a lower court, which will then decide whether he can be granted bail.

Tarique became an influential party leader during the BNP’s second term in office between 2001 and 2006. During this period, he established an alternative centre of power at Hawa Bhaban, the then political office of the BNP chairperson in the capital.

It was an open secret that Tarique and his cronies used to interfere in government activities and control all major business deals.

Having enjoyed the position of BNP senior joint secretary general for five years, Tarique eventually had to quit his post as a condition for his release in 2008.

However, in December 2009, when he had been abroad for over a year, Tarique was made senior vice-chairman with a clear mandate to lead the BNP in the absence of his mother.

Portraying Tarique Rahman as a symbol of “kleptocratic government and violent politics” in Bangladesh, the US embassy in Dhaka recommended blocking his entry to the United States, according to a US embassy cable leaked in September 2011.

Meanwhile, BNP spokesperson Shamsuzzaman Dudu, at another press conference at the party’s Nayapaltan office last night, claimed the government had been harassing Khadiza Islam to give false statement against Tarique Rahman in the money laundering case.

Talking to The Daily Star last night, Khadiza, owner of Nirman International and also a witness in the case, confirmed the incident of police harassment.

She said an officer of Gulshan Police Station called last night and asked her to go to the police station. “The officer told me that as per a Rajuk order, I will be evicted from my Gulshan house the following morning as I have illegally occupied the building,” Khadiza said.

“I was amazed to hear this. I told him I have been living in my house for the last 40 years,” she said.

Asked whether police were pressing her to give false statement against Tarique in the case, she replied: “I am 55 years old. For business purposes, I need to meet so many people. But I have told the truth at the court.”

Tareque Rahman is involved in 15 crore taka scandal?
Honestly, this bloody AL should teach BNP how to do corruption. How is Tareque Rahman involved in corruption which is minor even compared to Rana of Rana Plaza whose only a local jubo league leader.

Tareque Rahman is involved in 15 crore taka scandal?
Honestly, this bloody AL should teach BNP how to do corruption. How is Tareque Rahman involved in corruption which is minor even compared to Rana of Rana Plaza whose only a local jubo league leader.

My question to you why he should be charged with corruption when he was not related to either bureaucracy or with a Ministry? Corruption charges can be brought only to people in the govt. So, the word 'Corruption' is not applicable for him.

He may be charged with buying dollars in the market and sending it abroad. But, why this is corruption?

My question to you why he should be charged with corruption when he was not related to either bureaucracy or with a Ministry? Corruption charges can be brought only to people in the govt. So, the word 'Corruption' is not applicable for him.

He may be charged with buying dollars in the market and sending it abroad. But, why this is corruption?
He was the general secretary and he did use his political connections for personal gain, which I think is the definition of corruption. Regardless, there are bigger fishes to catch.

1.People in BD do not doubt that Tariq is corrupt and a disgrace to his father. But he has been pretty smart. They have been unable to pin anything on him. V doubtful Interpol or UK Govt will be amused by BAL demands.

2. BAL govt has always created or revived old issues to keep the media, opposition and the people focused on those rather than BAL misdeeds and the liberties they are allowing India on the quiet.

Why we are in middle of her son /her son.Malaysia is peanuts compare to the house in Florida and the apartment in NY,oh, and the small house in Washington DC.and don't forget the swiss bank accounts and 3 story house in London.Almost forgot,300 bhori (how much in gm?)for daughters wedding. Round the world honeymoon trip.cousins home in Khulna(which was confiscated from the original oweners)business in Dallas/restaurant, house in Salt lake........oh man my finger needs a break........

He was the general secretary and he did use his political connections for personal gain, which I think is the definition of corruption. Regardless, there are bigger fishes to catch.

But, he was a private citizen and was in no way related to the govt with a position in it. Therefore, the word corruption cannot be attached to his money transferring. It can be money laundering, but not corruption.

I wonder if the country has any law to punish a person for money laundering. This is why the AL govt is keeping people awake by making corruption propaganda against him.

But, he was a private citizen and was in no way related to the govt with a position in it. Therefore, the word corruption cannot be attached to his money transferring. It can be money laundering, but not corruption.

I wonder if the country has any law to punish a person for money laundering. This is why the AL govt is keeping people awake by making corruption propaganda against him.

Then same law can apply to joy babu when BNP comes in power. No?
This Hanif guy from AL also a member of All as party not the AL gov:heard his families leaving for Malaysia as second home project. I remembered he sold his flat 5 years back for local election only for 60 lakh.

In fact Hasina has been giving undue liberties to her masters to the detriment of BD's economy and national security. The NE freedom fighters are now much pressed because of the free movement through BD allowed to India. Moreover, now India has established a defacto L of C through Chittagong - Ashuganj. These would infuriate people if the media had been free.

If and if the AL is out by chance, they are done for. BNP can be way more ruthless than AL since AL are made of THUGS and the amount of corruption is sky high. Infact AL's behaviour on BNP is way better than vice versa. But i'm all in for direct action on BAL. These Traitors should be hanged for treason without any trial, infact BNP should stage a Shahbag drama to ban Awami league for good once they are in rule

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom