What's new

Corona Virus - Nation Level Lock Down /Other Options

Kaniska

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am creating this thread to gain meaningful insight from many knowledgable members here to understand, how a country/State/District will handle this situation in our region( South Asia/India-Pakistan-BD- SL).

1- Nationwide lock down - It will slowdown the spread of virus but impact economy
2- If you do not have any lockdown - Economy may not impacted as much as it is with lockdown, but we are not rich enough to provide adequate health care to all of our people..

Any meaningful contribution is appreciated

@jamahir @Joe Shearer @VCheng @Nilgiri @waz @W.11

Points 1 and 2 are valid.

I don't know about the situation in Pakistan and rest of SA so I will wait for members from those countries but in my neighborhood in an Indian city I still see youngsters especially standing at street corners chatting away and smoking cigarettes. Without masks. Despite police advising people not to gather. And these are so-called educated youth.

So one issue is continual education about Corona.

And I wish to see the military also support the police in patrolling neighborhoods cautioning people who are not out for valid reasons.

What I can suggest is Pakistan's Strategy of "Incremental Lockdown". So any nation which is a developing country meaning with lots of poor people in millions can not just lockdown cities after city to curb Coronavirus. They are daily wagers and will die from hunger and mental frustrations. It has to be done through intelligent mind use, that is what our Prime Minsiter Imran Khan and the government did.

Bring a stimulus package, and ration/food logistics to the needy people by getting their National ID card and then sanctioning money and ration to them directly.

Economic burden has to be shared and no doubt the economy will impact, but from every crisis there is opportunity to bounce back. Survive this period and will bounce back more strongly from it when the virus subsides in hot weathers.

No offense to the OP, and tons of my non medico corporate honcho big money friends in the real world, but when you talk of this and economy in the same breath you do not really have a grasp of what we are facing.

We are at war.

When you are at war you know your economy is going to take a huge hit. But you don't have a choice. You either fight the war. Or you lose.

No offense to the OP, and tons of my non medico corporate honcho big money friends in the real world, but when you talk of this and economy in the same breath you do not really have a grasp of what we are facing.

We are at war.

When you are at war you know your economy is going to take a huge hit. But you don't have a choice. You either fight the war. Or you lose.

I do understand...To be honest, even i not even qualified to understand the impact as i am neither in medical field not expert on overall macro economic situations.....So i am wondering, what could have been done to minimize such impacts by each one of in South Asia..

Bring a stimulus package, and ration/food logistics to the needy people by getting their National ID card and then sanctioning money and ration to them directly.

@Kaniska @padamchen, I thought this is being done in India too. State-wise or nationally.

Agreed.

Yesterday on some channel I saw a clip about the Bombay Stock Exchange reporting a nose-dive. I thought that kind of information at a time like this is quite unnecessary.

the butthurt of the jealous indians is both amazing and repulsive at the same time! can you morons FOR ONCE treat this as a global crisis and face it together as a human race instead of having a hissy fit on trying to China look bad for goodness sakes?!?!?!?! are you vedic jokers even capable of that??? :hitwall:

the butthurt of the jealous indians is both amazing and repulsive at the same time! can you morons FOR ONCE treat this as a global crisis and face it together as a human race instead of having a hissy fit on trying to China look bad for goodness sakes?!?!?!?! are you vedic jokers even capable of that??? :hitwall:

Are those your party pompoms?

So what has been done by China that can be utilized in our countries? China's model governance is different than our part of the world...So rather than using different adjectives and trolling with different racial insults, any meaningful contribution is appreciated.

@Indus Pakistan @Starlord

Electronic payment methods need to be available to minimize the need for people to physically meet each other to get paid.

secondly, increasing grocery delivery by phone apps or by phone call and combined with electronic payments can help decrease the spread of germs

people in masks can prepare the food supplies and delivery people in masks can deliver to peoples homes

So what has been done by China that can be utilized in our countries?
Nothing. Our societies are seeped in supersition, drunk on religion and tradition. To top it we are incompetent and poor. What possibly can we learn from a athiest-scientific, authoritarian society? Nothing.

Other than beg for some gas masks and few ventilators .....

*This is not me being facetious. I honestly think this. Our lot can dial a mullah and get advice from his orifice, your lot can go seek cure out of the cows orifice. Same thing. And if they die. So be it. It was Allah's wish. In your case hope they come back as higher order Hindu.

secondly, increasing grocery delivery by phone apps or by phone call and combined with electronic payments can help decrease the spread of germs

The World Health Organization has not made any suggestions with respect to cash in the case of Corona :
“WHO did NOT say banknotes would transmit COVID-19, nor have we issued any warnings or statements about this,” Chaib said in an email. “We were asked if we thought banknotes could transmit COVID-19 and we said you should wash your hands after handling money, especially if handling or eating food.” Doing so is “good hygiene practice,” she added.

I am logging off. Time to sleep.

Hi,

I am creating this thread to gain meaningful insight from many knowledgable members here to understand, how a country/State/District will handle this situation in our region( South Asia/India-Pakistan-BD- SL).

1- Nationwide lock down - It will slowdown the spread of virus but impact economy
2- If you do not have any lockdown - Economy may not impacted as much as it is with lockdown, but we are not rich enough to provide adequate health care to all of our people..

lol look at this guy talking about economy.

only China cares about Chinese people and not money, hence why there was no hesitation in imposing quarantine and allowing the economy to contract. no cost was spared.

if your regime even care 1% about the lives of Indians, then it will impose lockdown immediately and start contact tracing everyone who travelled to a hotspot.

Hi,

While we are having a lockdown but as I work in the financial services industry so I have to show up to work in Federal ISB area daily. My comments are from what I am observing.

Defence sector. Won't specify but those sites that can be cut off, have been cut off from outside so they are not affected. They are still functional.

Manufacturing Industry. Some of our customers from manufacturing sector are already asking for rescheduling of long term loans on account of SBP's offer to do the same. Some of which is based on real impact on their cashflows while the rest is just rent seeking which will crowd out funds from smaller SMEs that need the fund most.

Pakistan has a road centric transport network. Majority of the labor uses public transport. Production in at least 2 industrial areas that I know of has been impacted because the labor can't come.

Even I have to start using my car to show up to work daily because SWVL/Metro buses e.t.c are closed.

Local mom&pop stores have been closed. Only few larger stores and medicine shops are open.

This lockdown is not sustainable because a majority of our economy is based on informal sector. Labor/daily wagers are going hungry.

I saw daily wagers on my route to work sitting beside the road even though we are supposed to be in a lockdown.

The good thing is that private charity has increased because we all know the stakes. Army/NDMA is involved to have a joint effort in order to eliminate red tape and put "wheels" on files and to reduce any chance overallocation of resources so that critical resources are not hoarded (with the exception of sindh, they too will fall in line eventually).

People are now more aware. Even in our village in far off KPK, we are not allowing trespassers/people from other villages.

Long term impact of this virus will be a revamp of the health sector, innovation (NUST e.t.c are already working on cheaper ventilator tech, testing kits while our rent seeking industries are asking for rebate from govt) and alignment of capital for allocation into new industries.

Greater number of companies are now thinking about remote work. In longer term we will see elimination of more brick and mortar businesses if they have to survive such black swan events.

The only possible strategy for now is using middle of the ground route. Quarantine only those areas that are affected more. Reduce cross border movement and open all the industries gradually.

We can't save everyone unfortunately. We will be seeing a second outbreak and then the third.

We can only manage reduction in casualties.

This should be a lesson to keyboard warriors on both sides of what a potential nuclear war will feel like in long term.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom