What's new

Corona Virus - Nation Level Lock Down /Other Options

While we are having a lockdown but as I work in the financial services industry so I have to show up to work in Federal ISB area daily. My comments are from what I am observing.

Defence sector. Won't specify but those sites that can be cut off, have been cut off from outside so they are not affected.

Manufacturing Industry. Some of our customers from manufacturing sector are already asking for rescheduling of long term loans on account of SBP's offer to do the same. Some of which is based on real impact on their cashflows while the rest is just rent seeking which will crowd out funds from smaller SMEs that need the fund most.

Pakistan has a road centric transport network. Majority of the labor uses public transport. Production in at least 2 industrial areas that I know off has been impacted because the labor can't come.

Even I have to start using my car to show up to work daily because SWVL/Metro buses e.t.c are closed.

Local mom&pop stores have been closed. Only few larger stores and medicine shops are open.

This lockdown is not sustainable because a majority of our economy is based on informal sector. Labor/daily wagers are going hungry.

I saw daily wagers on my route to work sitting beside the road even though we are supposed to be in a lockdown.

The good thing is that private charity has increased because we all know the stakes. Army/NDMA is involved to have a joint effort in order to eliminate red tape and put "wheels" on files and to reduce any chance overallocation of resources so that critical resources are not hoarded (with the exception of sindh, they too will fall in line eventually).

Long term impact of this virus will be a revamp of the health sector, innovation (NUST e.t.c are already working on cheaper ventilator tech, testing kits while our rent seeking industries are asking for rebate from govt) and alignment of capital for allocation into new industries.

Greater number of companies are now thinking about remote work. In longer term we will see elimination of more brick and mortar businesses if they have to survive such black swan events.

The only possible strategy for now is using middle of the ground route. Quarantine only those areas that are affected more. Reduce cross border movement and open all the industries gradually.

We can't save everyone unfortunately. We will be seeing a second outbreak and then the third.

We can only manage reduction in casualties.

This should be a lesson to keyboard warriors on both sides of what a potential nuclear war will feel like in long term.

Thank you for your meaningful post...

Lockdown starts tonight at sunset here in Jamaica no movement allowed .

tourist economy and it’s going to be a long time until recovery as season mainly lasts November to June .

1B307949-73D6-4722-9581-9E55DB4AE9BA.jpeg

Not a soul on the beach = no money

The World Health Organization has not made any suggestions with respect to cash in the case of Corona :

I am logging off. Time to sleep.

thanks for the reference.

It’s not only the cash I was worried about, but people meeting people, to hand them cash. Minimizing human to human contact to an absolute minimum may lower the chances a otherwise healthy person becomes an unwitting vector to the virus, and can carry it to the more vulnerable amongst us.

Hi,

I am creating this thread to gain meaningful insight from many knowledgable members here to understand, how a country/State/District will handle this situation in our region( South Asia/India-Pakistan-BD- SL).

1- Nationwide lock down - It will slowdown the spread of virus but impact economy
2- If you do not have any lockdown - Economy may not impacted as much as it is with lockdown, but we are not rich enough to provide adequate health care to all of our people..

Any meaningful contribution is appreciated

@jamahir @Joe Shearer @VCheng @Nilgiri @waz @W.11

Suffice to say that it must be a balance between the two, and every State will need to figure out the correct ratios and their timing according to its own unique circumstances.

Pls do

Govt = Really? Any details?

Well funds are being mobilized with 1-2+ days salaries (depending upon rank/grade) being contributed by defense sector as a start. This is apart from government's own budgetary allocation and funds that will be received in the new donation account.

I work in a semi-govt type set up. They deducted salary from us for dam fund too. Lets see if they do the same this time around as well.

Saw videos of army personnel distributing rations in some quarantined areas.

Apart from that local charities are requesting funds and have distributed ration among the poor in some areas (saw some with daily wagers).

Hi,

I am creating this thread to gain meaningful insight from many knowledgable members here to understand, how a country/State/District will handle this situation in our region( South Asia/India-Pakistan-BD- SL).

1- Nationwide lock down - It will slowdown the spread of virus but impact economy
2- If you do not have any lockdown - Economy may not impacted as much as it is with lockdown, but we are not rich enough to provide adequate health care to all of our people..

Any meaningful contribution is appreciated

@jamahir @Joe Shearer @VCheng @Nilgiri @waz @W.11

Now, that is the problem in Indonesia as well.

I think most countries are facing the same problem as you mentioned above.

Even Europe and USA.

On a lighter note, my mother came home from abroad some 23+ days ago.

Airport authorities had checked the temperature at airport and noted down details.

Today we got a call from army (it seems the airport authorities are sharing record with relevant corps formations of PA in every major city). They wanted to do a follow-up check with all travellers just in case someone was sick so that they could do contact tracing right from the source (the first traveler).

Some images from the federal city while going to work.

IMG_20200402_105502.jpg
IMG_20200402_105505.jpg
IMG_20200402_105804.jpg
IMG_20200402_105811.jpg
IMG_20200402_105833.jpg
IMG_20200402_105836.jpg

So one issue is continual education about Corona.

And I wish to see the military also support the police in patrolling neighborhoods cautioning people who are not out for valid reasons.
Agree with both the points- Young adults usually feel they are invincible-So some high handedness is a must here.

Back
Top Bottom