What's new

Comparison | Main Battle Tanks Below 55 tonnes

the Armata is much to expansive.... you get 3 T-90 for one T-14
http://armedforces.eu/compare/tanks_T-90_vs_T-14_Armata
$4.3M. is that the incorrect price?

tank_costs-e1494109390268.png

yes it is incorrect... the price was never officle published, ask yourself how a high tech tank could be cheaper than a beefed up T-72B Clone (T-90) ... According to German sources the T-14 cost most likely twice as much as a Leo2 A7V, to get that in a right contrast.... the Puma IFV with a similar layout (crew less turret full of high tech sensors) freshly developt and build like the T-14 so far in low numbers coast over 10million Euro each vehicle... now add the cost of the hard kill system and the larger gun and you are north of 15million Euro ... there is a reason why russia never placed a second order after the first order of 100 T-14 in 2016.... it is simple much to expansive..

look in the first post..there the price of a T-90 is $4.5 million .... that is closer to reality than the $2.5million in your diagram...

Algeria payed for their T-90 over $5million each tank... India as large scale customer payed slightly less...

The 104 Leo2 A7V Germany has ordered cost 760million Euro that are 7.3million Euro each tank ...or $8.6million

twice would be $17.4 million... that is much more realistic than $4.3million

yes it is incorrect... the price was never officle published, ask yourself how a high tech tank could be cheaper than a beefed up T-72B Clone (T-90) ... According to German sources the T-14 cost most likely twice as much as a Leo2 A7V, to get that in a right contrast.... the Puma IFV with a similar layout (crew less turret full of high tech sensors) freshly developt and build like the T-14 so far in low numbers coast over 10million Euro each vehicle... now add the cost of the hard kill system and the larger gun and you are north of 15million Euro ... there is a reason why russia never placed a second order after the first order of 100 T-14 in 2016.... it is simple much to expansive..

look in the first post..there the price of a T-90 is $4.5 million .... that is closer to reality than the $2.5million in your diagram...

Algeria payed for their T-90 over $5million each tank... India as large scale customer payed slightly less...

The 104 Leo2 A7V Germany has ordered cost 760million Euro that are 7.3million Euro each tank ...or $8.6million

twice would be $17.4 million... that is much more realistic than $4.3million

From my understanding, Russia's reason for not having large-scale deployment is because largescale deployement from russia's perspective is replacing the entire fleet of thousands ( about 12,000) of tanks. Its expensive from that perspective ( cost or replacing the entire Army's tanks ). Highest estimated cost / tank I have seen is $6 Mn.

Last edited:
From my understanding, Russia's reason for not having large-scale deployment is because largescale deployement from russia's perspective is replacing the entire fleet of thousands of tanks. Its expensive from that perspective ( cost or replacing the entire Army's tanks ). Highest estimated cost / tank I have seen is $6 Mn.

Russia has not thousends of tanks... that was during cold war... today they have a active fleet of 2500tanks only... and 1900 of them are still T-72.

There is so much BS written about Russian Army of today... they are not the Red Army of the USSR anymore and they reduced their sice dramaticly after the cold war and again in 2008(giant Army reform deleting 350.000 officer and general spots)... just to get that into a perspective... they closed over 50 officer schools since 2008...today they only have 10 officer schools left..

you have to remember russian industrial and economy power is WEAK...they have the power of nations like Spain..and they spend a fortune on military... they have huge budget limits and not unlimited resources... they cant pay 2000 T-14... simple fact... the reason why their main tank still is the T-72..

@Dazzler - comment, unless you wanna get banned :lol:
On paper Al-Khalid 1 here looks at least on par if not better(IMO it's better) than both T90 Bhishma and T84 Oplot...so then why is Pak considering other tanks?

I can see that those other two are slightly cheaper per unit...but if we include the cost of setting up maintenance facilities/infrastructure/etc...wouldn't it be just better to use that money to build more Al-Khalid 1 tanks since these other acquisitions are not adding anything of significance in capability?

Hey everyone.

So I haven't done anything like this in a while for the forum, so I took a few days to put this data sheet together for forum members. It includes OEM data on 4 most popular tanks under the 55-tonne class. I am attaching the PDF copy as well. I tried my best to collect authentic data so don't get mad if any minor detail is left out.

Leave a good rating/comment if you enjoyed this.

Horus from team Pakistan Defence.

View attachment 500025

FCS

Ak-1 ISFCS-212B modified

Type-10 Digital FCS

T-90S/M/A 1A45T Irtysh

OPLOT-M IGFCS

C4ISR in Alkhalid is Raabta i guess, never heard of Raaba :P

Out of all four, only the AKhalid has autotracking available for machine gun.

VARTA soft kill APS is functional on some Alkhalids as well as Oplots.

FCS

Ak-1 ISFCS-212B modified

Type-10 Digital FCS

T-90S/M/A 1A45T Irtysh

OPLOT-M IGFCS

C4ISR in Alkhalid is Raabta i guess, never heard of Raaba :P

Out of all four, only the AKhalid has autotracking available for machine gun.

VARTA soft kill APS is functional on some Alkhalids as well as Oplots.

RAABTA is a TDL developed locally.

The reason i made this is to explain that AK is a beast. Its been a great learning experience. We ought to develop AK-2 along the lines of Type-10 as far as electronics and modern warfare capabilities go. We need to also get local production for the 1500hp engine, introduce a new modular turret to AK-2 and develop an IFV based in AK chassis.

The reason i made this is to explain that AK is a beast. Its been a great learning experience. We ought to develop AK-2 along the lines of Type-10 as far as electronics and modern warfare capabilities go. We need to also get local production for the 1500hp engine, introduce a new modular turret to AK-2 and develop an IFV based in AK chassis.
If Pak can get Ukraine to help with a 1500 hp engine(produced locally under license) and collaborate with Turkey and China for electronics/armor/APS/etc. then Pak can make Al-Khalid 2 the high end tank(along the lines of Type 10 as u suggested). This way Pak can entirely circumvent acquiring a tank like Oplot or VT4.

Instead Al-Khalid 1 and 2 can form the high/low combo and it will be a lot easier further down the road. The advances made for Al-Khalid 2 can flow towards Al-Khalid 1 and the commonality between these two(and an IFV built on the same chassis) would be a really efficient way to get the most out of the money spent on all these projects.

Engines are limiting our progress across all branches. Something for the top leadership to ponder upon collectively. All engines require an underlying expertise in materials sciences, precision machining, thermodynamics, vibration control etc. The degree to which each is required differs. They need to start building expertise in these areas and start research projects. In the end though, if we want something exportable, then current patent laws means we will definitely need to acquire the rights from somewhere else, and then start innovating on top of that, thus producing our own patents. So developing the knowledgebase can be parallelized with acquiring existing patents.

what would be the prize of AK-2 then:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom