What's new

COAS, DG ISI & DGMO Briefing to Parliament

Doctor09

Reaction score
10-18-2011_85179_1.gif

why are DG ISI and DG MI giving briefings to parliamentarians?

They should give briefings to President, COAS, DGMO, and other military officers. This democracy thing is going too far in my opinion. Don't know what the constitution says in this regard?

DG ISI and DG MI gave a briefing to parliamentarians in Army Headquarter ...... General Ashfaq Parveez kayani was alsp present in the meeting........ the briefing was on operation in tribal areas , current relationship with USA and Afghanistan and the defence budget of armed forces is also discussed with parliamentarians

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

They should give briefings to President, COAS, DGMO, and other military officers. This democracy thing is going too far in my opinion. Don't know what the constitution says in this regard?
this briefing is given to defence committees of senate and Parliament so i think there in nothing wrong in it according to constitution

DG ISI and DG MI gave a briefing to parliamentarians in Army Headquarter ...... General Ashfaq Parveez kayani was alsp present in the meeting........ the briefing was on operation in tribal areas , current relationship with USA and Afghanistan and the defence budget of armed forces is also discussed with parliamentarians

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

this briefing is given to defence committees of senate and Parliament so i think there in nothing wrong in it according to constitution

Oh, the defense committees, I thought to the whole NA.

military officers are ACTUALLY just servants of the state or nightwatchman. nothing more nothing less.

military officers are ACTUALLY just servants of the state or nightwatchman. nothing more nothing less.

Yes, they are, but they are answerable to the NA? Not to the president or PM? That is my point.

But, if it is a defence committee of the NA, then it is fine.

i am curious about the exact details of this briefing .....

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

10-18-2011_85190_1.gif

Yes, they are, but they are answerable to the NA? Not to the president or PM? That is my point.

well I am not sure about exact chain of command but they should be...after all its the supreme institution of the state..

Constitutionally PA is answerable to the PM (President is a supreme commander of Army), so indirectly PA is answerable to NA.
However National Assembly Standing Committee on Defence takes care of issue related to the defence as it has mandate of entire parliament(Government+Opposition).

Open for corrections.

lolz at ISI ARMY MI now they are giving briefing to any tom herry dick .now they are under gov ? now they follow the orders of Parliament hahahahaah you know why? because its time of action .its time to reply enemy who violate our sovereignty daily .now its time to do some thing .and at this time our high command has no balls to face it so they are hiding behind this puppet gov .tell me seriusly mr.kiyani you think zardari and looter Parliament will give you order of battle even USA attack Peshawar? nope they will not .

its mean NA NAO MAN TEEL HO GA NA RADHA NACHY GEE .:tdown:

Read the news item carefully please. The briefing involves the DG ISI and DGMO, not DGMI.

The DGMO is the person responsible for every operation undertaken by the PA in the Northern Areas/Agencies and as such he can speak to everything factually. The DG ISI reports to the PM and as such is the right person to be presenting to the PM's cabinet.

lolz at ISI ARMY MI now they are giving briefing to any tom herry dick .now they are under gov ? now they follow the orders of Parliament hahahahaah you know why? because its time of action .its time to reply enemy who violate our sovereignty daily .now its time to do some thing .and at this time our high command has no balls to face it so they are hiding behind this puppet gov .tell me seriusly mr.kiyani you think zardari and looter Parliament will give you order of battle even USA attack Peshawar? nope they will not .

its mean NA NAO MAN TEEL HO GA NA RADHA NACHY GEE .:tdown:
Imran bhai ap ki baat mein waqai wazan hai i agree with you

Constitutionally PA is answerable to the PM (President is a supreme commander of Army), so indirectly PA is answerable to NA.
However National Assembly Standing Committee on Defence takes care of issue related to the defence as it has mandate of entire parliament(Government+Opposition).

Open for corrections.

The PA, like the other sister services have the President of Pakistan as their Commander in Chief. The PM is only responsible for advising the President on security matters but has no direct oversight or command of the armed forces.

However the PA, like all other services are absolutely answerable to the PEOPLE of Pakistan who are represented by the National Assembly. So all of what is happening is constitutional and should happen a whole lot more. It only adds to transparency and oversight.

In the long run, greater involvement from the civilian government will mean that the rest of the world will stop calling out the Army as something different from the Pakistani government when they refer to the security policies of Pakistan. Currently the perception is that all the policies emanate from the GHQ, and this perception has to be negated and the only way to do so is to give the civilians greater oversight over the policies and this starts with such discussions and presentations to civilian government representatives.

Back
Top Bottom