What's new

CJP’s dams donation drive fails to woo overseas Pakistanis

CIS-TRANS

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1797957-damphotofilex-1536345433-941-640x480.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Out of Rs1.93 billion, donated to the Chief Justice’s Fund for the construction of dams, Rs1.91 billion was donated domestically.

According to data available till September 6, a total Rs1.93 billion has been donated so far. Interestingly, only Rs20 million has been donated by overseas Pakistanis while the remaining Rs1.91 billion was raised locally.

Pakistanis donated Rs0.9 million through debit and credit cards while Rs53 million through SMS and Rs32 million through IBFT. Likewise RS1.82 billion has been donated in the bank branches in specific accounts across the country.

Overseas Pakistanis from United States donated Rs5.7 million followed by UK from where Pakistanis donated Rs4.19 million. Pakistanis living in UAE have donated Rs4.13 million. Pakistanis living in Canada have donated Rs1.5 million. Interestingly, Rs18,490 have been donated from India and only Rs3,000 have been donated by Pakistanis from Afghanistan.

On the other hand, Secretary Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan Raheel Awan, while talking to The Express Tribune, said that overseas Pakistanis are very enthusiastic to donate to the fund but they could not do so due to different reasons, adding that there are very limited Pakistani banks branches situated in abroad.

Likewise, there are also other technical issues, he added. In view of these problems, Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar has already given special instructions to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) governor to resolve these issues so that countrymen living abroad could easily send donations.

Awan also hoped that a visible change will be witnessed in the donation of overseas Pakistanis in the next few days.

sc-dams-fund-1536345252.jpg

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1797957/1-cjps-dams-donation-drive-fails-woo-overseas-pakistanis/

Pakistan is home to 220 million people. Pakistanis living abroad is between 5 to 8 million people only including g house wives and children. Naturally a bulk of donations will come from Pakistan itself, and that is a very good thing for two reasons. They have trust in the new government under IK's leadership and they want to change the country themselves without relying on any foreign help.

The donation drive is just starting to pick momentum, especially after IK's address to the nation, its going to collect significant donations from overseas Pakistanis. Besides dams are not constructed in a few weeks or months, it takes years to complete them and the donations will continue to pour in until they are fully built and operational.

1797957-damphotofilex-1536345433-941-640x480.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Out of Rs1.93 billion, donated to the Chief Justice’s Fund for the construction of dams, Rs1.91 billion was donated domestically.

According to data available till September 6, a total Rs1.93 billion has been donated so far. Interestingly, only Rs20 million has been donated by overseas Pakistanis while the remaining Rs1.91 billion was raised locally.

Pakistanis donated Rs0.9 million through debit and credit cards while Rs53 million through SMS and Rs32 million through IBFT. Likewise RS1.82 billion has been donated in the bank branches in specific accounts across the country.

Overseas Pakistanis from United States donated Rs5.7 million followed by UK from where Pakistanis donated Rs4.19 million. Pakistanis living in UAE have donated Rs4.13 million. Pakistanis living in Canada have donated Rs1.5 million. Interestingly, Rs18,490 have been donated from India and only Rs3,000 have been donated by Pakistanis from Afghanistan.

On the other hand, Secretary Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan Raheel Awan, while talking to The Express Tribune, said that overseas Pakistanis are very enthusiastic to donate to the fund but they could not do so due to different reasons, adding that there are very limited Pakistani banks branches situated in abroad.

Likewise, there are also other technical issues, he added. In view of these problems, Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar has already given special instructions to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) governor to resolve these issues so that countrymen living abroad could easily send donations.

Awan also hoped that a visible change will be witnessed in the donation of overseas Pakistanis in the next few days.

sc-dams-fund-1536345252.jpg

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1797957/1-cjps-dams-donation-drive-fails-woo-overseas-pakistanis/

The donation drive is just starting to pick momentum

Usually its the other way round. They begin with a lot of hooha and then slowly peter out, especially if, as you imply, decades of years time scale is required to collect sufficient funds to begin work.

People should come forward and give full support in a national cause.

I think the biggest problem is... Pakistanis will donate more if they have a proper website where they can just add their debit card details and make a payment online... Even paypal will help...

Most people have to go to embassies to donate and people in EU countries are too busy to go to Pakistani consulates

The website should be widely promoted on the Tv and social media so that everybody knows that all they gotta do is go to pakistandamfund.com etc... And donate

Simple as that

I think the biggest problem is... Pakistanis will donate more if they have a proper website where they can just add their debit card details and make a payment online... Even paypal will help...

Most people have to go to embassies to donate and people in EU countries are too busy to go to Pakistani consulates

The website should be widely promoted on the Tv and social media so that everybody knows that all they gotta do is go to pakistandamfund.com etc... And donate

Simple as that
True!!
A friend called me yesterday evening and said that he will have to send some money to ME which i can then deposite in dam fund. He is in Ireland and said that he was not able to transfer directly and had some issues/reservations. Government need to sort that out and then more people will come forward and donate. Not everyone will take the pain to call some friend so that the money can be sent to him and then he can submit in the fund.

Simple as that

I think that hits the nail on the head... These ventures need to make sure ease is available to people for example like shaukat khanum the dam fund also allows msg to contribute 20 rupees simply by messaging... This way I can contribute whilst sitting on my bed...

The overseas Pakistanis need the same advantage to allow them to contribute with the same enthusiasm... As you mentioned as website must be opened and it must allows all forms online payments through all ways... You can't say contribute and then not make an appropriate way for them to contribute...

@Arsalan surely it can't be that hard for the government after all they are making ways for overseas voting..shouldn't this be given equal priority with which we can reach them

If Imran khan is asking them for help then he must provide a way for them to help...

Simple as that

Attachments

• DOC-20180907-WA0035.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 19
I know this but it is not as convenient as paying online.

The point is, every penny counts. When you go to the bank they will charge you £25 to £35 depending on the service you take in order to send money abroad.. and there are people around the world who may only want to donate £10 to £100 or usd. This way they cannot contribute

The easiest way is to set up a website and ask everybody to donate directly.

Also I am sure so many non Pakistanis can also donate if it was as simple as that

If I am not wrong online donation was initiated on sbp or other government site but its not widely promoted as it should be. In my opinoon it should be dedicated website for single cause

CJP needs to hire eminent economists like orya jan, ansar abbasi, farhan virk, and zaid hamid. They can yell and hashtag their way to success.
You forget to name me :lol:

Back
Top Bottom