What's new

Christian on death row for blasphemy loses appeal in Pakistan court

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Christian on death row for blasphemy loses appeal in Pakistan court | News | DW.DE | 16.10.2014

The Lahore High Court has upheld the death sentence awarded to Christian woman Asia Bibi. The mother of five was convicted of blasphemy and sentenced to death in a controversial case in 2010.

0,,17999772_303,00.jpg

Two judges of the Lahore High Court announced on Thursday that Asia Bibi's death sentence would be upheld. The judges, headed by Justice Anwarul Haq, dismissed Asia Bibi's appeal after her lawyers failed to prove her innocence.

Asia Bibi's lawyer Naeem Shakir told reporters after the verdict: "We are utterly disappointed. But we will file a review petition against the LHC [Lahore High Court] decision in the Supreme Court." Shakir is hopeful that the country's highest court will grant Asia Bibi amnesty.

'Blasphemy' in 2009

Asia Bibi is from a rural area close to Lahore in eastern Pakistan. Allegations of blasphemy against the mother of five children go back to 2009. At the time, Asia, who was working in a field, was asked to fetch water.

Muslim women working with her objected, since Asia Bibi was not Muslim and therefore unfit to touch the water. The heated arguments that ensued ended her being charged of blasphemy. After being found guilty of making derogatory comments against Islam's main prophet, she was sentenced to death in 2010.

Blasphemy - insulting the Prophet Muhammad - is punishable by death in Pakistan. The controversial laws were re-introduced in the 1980s by former dictator Zia-ul-Haq. Human rights organizations in Pakistan say that the laws are often used to settle personal scores and discriminate against religious minorities.

Even lawyers and politicians defending those accused of blasphemy become targets of mob attacks. Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, who supported a call for Asia to be pardoned, was gunned down in 2011 by a police guard in Islamabad.

Muslim women working with her objected, since Asia Bibi was not Muslim and therefore unfit to touch the water. The heated arguments that ensued ended her being charged of blasphemy. After being found guilty of making derogatory comments against Islam's main prophet, she was sentenced to death in 2010.

Blasphemy - insulting the Prophet Muhammad - is punishable by death in Pakistan. The controversial laws were re-introduced in the 1980s by former dictator Zia-ul-Haq. Human rights organizations in Pakistan say that the laws are often used to settle personal scores and discriminate against religious minorities.
Retracted

Last edited:

Did she make derogatory comments against the prophet of Islam though?

I think that's against the law in all Islamic republics, the difference is the severity of punishment.

This blasphemy law defies logic !

I think that's against the law in all Islamic republics, the difference is the severity of punishment.

How can it conclusively proved or disproved in a Court of law ?

When I was young, I wanted to study law (look at the ridiculous salaries of HK lawyers to see why), but I ended up going a different route (business/finance).

So I can't answer your question, I'm only familiar with the most basic legal principles.

But apparently, it satisfied the court that convicted her. So there is your answer, whatever evidence they gave was enough for the court. She broke the law and the legal system found her guilty.

The only thing is the severity of the punishment, maybe it should be lowered to a "suspended death sentence" (like corrupt high officials in China get). That basically means no execution, but a life sentence instead.

When I was young, I wanted to study law (look at the ridiculous salaries of HK lawyers to see why), but I ended up going a different route (business/finance).

So I can't answer your question, I'm only familiar with the most basic legal principles.

But apparently, it satisfied the court that convicted her. So there is your answer, whatever evidence they gave was enough for the court. She broke the law and the legal system found her guilty.

The only thing is the severity of the punishment, maybe it should be lowered to a "suspended death sentence" (like corrupt high officials in China get). That basically means no execution, but a life sentence instead.

Whatever she said cannot be repeated in the court of law because that in turn would also be blasphemy. So the evidence is based purely on the testimony from people who have heard her commit blasphemy and that too based on their own judgement ie. the accusers which here is the women who apparently bear a grudge against her because she is a Christian.

A Governor and a minister were both assassinated because they showed sympathy for the victim Aisia here. The guy who assassinated the governor was showered with petals by the lawyers for being a defender of the faith. The same lawyers who are expected to uphold the law.

How can you expect a fair trial in such an environment of intimidation? The whole case is a sham. The odds are stacked against the victim and she cannot expect justice in such conditions.

Christian on death row for blasphemy loses appeal in Pakistan court | News | DW.DE | 16.10.2014
since Asia Bibi was not Muslim and therefore unfit to touch the water. The heated arguments that ensued ended her being charged of blasphemy. After being found guilty of making derogatory comments against Islam's main prophet, she was sentenced to death in 2010.

Islam's 'main' prophet.... well this one term shows the knowledge of author of this article about Islam

and every one who have a little bit knowledge of Islam can easily understand the genuinity of the claim he made about Asia Bibi

since Asia Bibi was not Muslim and therefore unfit to touch the water.

Last edited:
Selective topics of minority rights coming from Indians.......... really? Cow slaughter was banned in India due to it being a sacred animal for hindus, where did the rights of muslim minority go?

By the same logic Contrarian used perhaps there should be another partition of India.....No?

On topic..........blasphemy law is indeed a black law and this law only supports the taliban style mentality and the mullah. Pakistan needs to get rid of this. We should be a moderate society like Quaid-e-Azam envisioned and not a mullah country.

Islam's 'main' prophet.... well this one term shows the knowledge of author of this article about Islam

and every one can who have a little bit knowledge of Islam can easily understand the genuinity of the claim he made about Asia Bibi
One does not need to know about Islam to know the discrimination that non-Muslims face in Pakistan.
I have posted various sources earlier that Sikhs are not even given tea in the same utensils as Muslims are given in Pakistani Punjab.

Selective topics of minority rights coming from Indians.......... really? Cow slaughter was banned in India due to it being a sacred animal for hindus, where did the rights of muslim minority go?

By the same logic Contrarian used perhaps there should be another partition of India.....No?

On topic..........blasphemy law is indeed a black law and this law only supports the taliban style mentality and the mullah. Pakistan needs to get rid of this. We should be a moderate society like Quaid-e-Azam envisioned and not a mullah country.
I simply used the logic that Pakistanis give on the need for Partition - that Hindus discriminated against Muslims and never gave them food/water in the same plates amongst others. Therefore to protect the Muslim identity, Partition was necessary.

I am simply extending the same logic to todays Pakistan.

It does not mean I personally believe in it. Those Pakistanis who cite the validity of TNT and its usual causal factors should also extend their magnanimity of Partition once again, should they not?

One does not need to know about Islam to know the discrimination that non-Muslims face in Pakistan.
I have posted various sources earlier that Sikhs are not even given tea in the same utensils as Muslims are given in Pakistani Punjab.

biased source does not count my dear ....

Didn't your read these lines.

"Muslim women working with her objected, since Asia Bibi was not Muslim and therefore unfit to touch the water. The heated arguments that ensued ended her being charged of blasphemy. After being found guilty of making derogatory comments against Islam's main prophet, she was sentenced to death in 2010."

If someone should be punished then it is the Muslim woman because of her racist and inhuman attitude. No sane non-Muslim will ever dare to criticize Islam or the last prophet overtly in a country like Pakistan, and If a non-Muslim is charged for using wrong language against the prophet Muhammad then either that non-Muslim is mentally not fit or the accuser is lying.

Ironically, if the sentence is carried out it will have the exact opposite effect in the non-Muslim world that law intends, (To protect the name and image of Islam.). I would be hard pressed to think of anything more damaging to the image of the Islamic faith in those countries than the execution of a mother of five children over only something that she may have said.

This blasphemy law defies logic !

She broke the law and the legal system found her guilty.
While legally correct, this is what I feel -

When I read such apologetic accounts - that impose death on religious diktats, I sincerely and honestly wish Islamic Law to be implemented in those countries where the apologists hail from.

Back
Top Bottom