What's new

Christian couple sentenced to death for blasphemy in Pakistan

somnath

Reaction score
Country
India
A Christian couple has been sentenced to death for blasphemy in Pakistan’s eastern province of Punjab, a watchdog group said Saturday.

Shafqat Emmanuel, 38, and his wife, Shagufta Kausar, 42, were arrested in July in the Gojra area of the district of Toba Tek Singh following a complaint by an imam that they were sending blasphemous text messages.

Farrukh Saif, the head of Word Vision in Progress, an organization working for the rights of minorities in Pakistan, said the couple was sentenced to death on Friday.

“They cried when told by the judge that they would be executed by hanging,” said Saif.

A court official in Toba Tek Singh confirmed the conviction.

Saif, whose organization provided lawyers for the couple, said they would appeal against the verdict.

It is the second such sentencing in less than two weeks.

On March 27, a court in the eastern city of Lahore handed down the death sentence to Sawan Masih, also a Christian, for blasphemy.

He was arrested last year after a Muslim friend accused him of maligning the Prophet Mohammed during an argument.

Anything deemed insulting to Islam is considered blasphemy in Pakistan and is punishable with death.

The blasphemy laws were enacted in the 1980s by then military ruler General Ziaul Haq and are seen as a tool to persecute minorities.

Rights bodies have been demanding their repeal, but the government has resisted reforms for fear of the backlash from conservative Islamic society.

An estimated 1,300 people have been accused of blasphemy since 1986, according to statistics compiled by the human rights unit of the Law Ministry.

do Christians in Pakistan don't have any respect for any religion ?? why so many case of blasphemy ?

"an imam that they were sending blasphemous text messages"

Iss harami maulvi ko kaun text messages bhejai ga? Who bhee blasphemous? Stupd Maulvis and all their stupid followers are the bane of Pakistan. They have an iq of below 40 to believe all the crap that the mullas' kafir producing factory churns out. Then these people have the nerve to accuse the world of judging them. I mean, really? Look at your actions.

A Christian couple has been sentenced to death for blasphemy in Pakistan’s eastern province of Punjab, a watchdog group said Saturday.

Shafqat Emmanuel, 38, and his wife, Shagufta Kausar, 42, were arrested in July in the Gojra area of the district of Toba Tek Singh following a complaint by an imam that they were sending blasphemous text messages.

Farrukh Saif, the head of Word Vision in Progress, an organization working for the rights of minorities in Pakistan, said the couple was sentenced to death on Friday.

“They cried when told by the judge that they would be executed by hanging,” said Saif.

A court official in Toba Tek Singh confirmed the conviction.

Saif, whose organization provided lawyers for the couple, said they would appeal against the verdict.

It is the second such sentencing in less than two weeks.

On March 27, a court in the eastern city of Lahore handed down the death sentence to Sawan Masih, also a Christian, for blasphemy.

He was arrested last year after a Muslim friend accused him of maligning the Prophet Mohammed during an argument.

Anything deemed insulting to Islam is considered blasphemy in Pakistan and is punishable with death.

The blasphemy laws were enacted in the 1980s by then military ruler General Ziaul Haq and are seen as a tool to persecute minorities.

Rights bodies have been demanding their repeal, but the government has resisted reforms for fear of the backlash from conservative Islamic society.

An estimated 1,300 people have been accused of blasphemy since 1986, according to statistics compiled by the human rights unit of the Law Ministry.

I exercise my right to demand a link.....:coffee:

Muslims also show disrespect for other religions. Should they also be hanged ?
Yes, they should be, but Indians go a step further and massacre an entire populace for the offences of a single person, dont even try and ask for evidence, a quick google search will suffice.....

Muslims also show disrespect for other religions. Should they also be hanged ?
Only those who are dumb enough to abuse majority religion in the country... It is punishable to death in our constitution if proved... than whats wrong with it if disrespect of a religion is a crime and punishable to death in your country than it must be exercised..

I exercise my right to demand a link.....:coffee:
Pakistan: Christian Couple Sentenced to Death for Sending 'Blasphemous' Texts

Christian couple get death sentence in blasphemy case | Pakistan Today

I guess he can't post links because of the minimum posts requirements rule.

Yes, they should be, but Indians go a step further and massacre an entire populace for the offences of a single person, dont even try and ask for evidence, a quick google search will suffice.....

keep India out of the discussion if possible :)

We All Know Who Did Massacres in the Name of Religion it is History Now. Take A Step Further Try To be a human First Before Any Other Thing

And who says this? A Country whose people rape females of other religion just for the sake of changing their religion to so called "Peaceful religion".

I guess he can't post links because of the minimum posts requirements rule.
I guess you are right mate, hadnt thought about that....:-)

keep India out of the discussion if possible
The guy I quoted blanketed all Muslims, I merely blanketed all Indians by mentioning that they too have blood on their hands hence its not just the Muslims....
I could rephrase and use Hindus instead of Indians but targeting a religion is not my style....

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom