What's new

Chinese tourists flock to Thailand

cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
By Olivier Languepin - Wed, Jan 2nd, 2013

Chinese visitors to Thailand this year outnumbered every other countries with more than 2.5 million, a 56 per cent increase from last year’s 1.7 million. Their traditional and favourite destinations are Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya and Phuket.

Thailand’s northern city of Chiang Mai is expected to attract an increasing number of Chinese tourists in the foreseeable future now that a Chinese comedy shot on location in Chiang Mai has become a blockbuster in China.

For the first time in the history of Chinese cinema, a one billion yuan movie was born. Lost in Thailand (2012) is the first Chinese movie to gross over 1 billion yuan (US$161 million) in box office receipts. Just ten years ago, the entire country’s box office revenue totaled 900 million yuan.

3bouddhaswatjedyod-450x337.jpg

Chiang Mai is expected to attract an increasing number of Chinese tourists in the foreseeable future now that a Chinese comedy shot on location in Chiang Mai has become a blockbuster in China.

According to Kasian Watanachaopisut, president of the Thai- Chinese Tourism Alliance Association, the Chinese film entitled ” Lost in Thailand” has reportedly made up to 700 million yuan (111 million U.S. dollars) since it premiered in the world’s most populated country earlier this month.

Produced with a 30 million yuan (4.7 million U.S. dollars) budget and directed by Chinese movie star Xu Zheng, “Lost in Thailand” might probably become China’s most-viewed comedy of all time.

Kasian said the film has drawn the attention of Chinese viewers to the fascinations and tourism qualities of Chiang Mai and many are interested to visit it some day.

The Sino-Japanese conflict has diverted travelers from both countries to Thailand

According to him, a total of 2.5 million Chinese tourists are estimated to visit Thailand throughout 2012, and only a meager 2 percent of them are reported to have been somehow attracted to Chiang Mai or other northern spots.

“But that comedy is believed to be drawing a lot more of the Chinese tourists to Chiang Mai where local villagers, cultural heritages and scenic, natural spots are so inviting and well- preserved,” he said.

“With the help of ‘Lost in Thailand’ which is now a Chinese box office smash featuring Chiang Mai as a beautiful tourist spot worth visiting, we do hope that the number of Chinese tourists to Chiang Mai will substantially increase from this year’s 50,000,” he said.

According to a local tourism official, Chinese tourists spend an average of 3,750 baht (125 U.S. dollars) each in Chiang Mai per day.

Political stability and the increasing popularity of tourist attractions in Thailand have contributed to the tourism boom, while the ongoing Sino-Japanese conflict has diverted travelers from both countries to Thailand.

Number one ranked in numbers of visitors to Thailand this year is from China with 2.5 million travelers. Russia placed second with one million visitors, while India, South Korea and Japan each produced almost one million people from each country.

Chinese tourists flock to Thailand - Tourism - Thailand Business News

I wonder how many Chinese visit Thailand just because of locally famous adult entertainment.

:rofl:

I read an article awhile ago that mentioned Chinese tourists are very big fans of she-boy dancing performances.

I wonder how many Chinese visit Thailand just because of locally famous adult entertainment.

:rofl:

Not all Chinese are fan of perversion, when Chineses go to Vietnam, we're not just looking for adult entertainment but acquisition as well :azn:

But seriously we have developed a great affinity toward this country because we didn't have historical hostility. And without saying that Thai food, tourist sites and all sorte intertainment that fit into Chinese taste. in the future with high speed train and infrastructure, the dynamic exchange between two countries will even greater.

Thailand is definitely a nice place for vacation. One of my favorite country. Nice food, nice view, nice people.

Thailand is great, definitely agree with the article above!

Cmon guys - cool it off and cherish the Patpong I and II and Sukhumwit Road in Bangkok and Patong beach in Phuket ;) :yahoo:

P.S - No need for the moral d**** measuring contest :partay:

I read an article awhile ago that mentioned Chinese tourists are very big fans of she-boy dancing performances.

I think just because curiosity.

If you are one of the dancers,I am willing to pay for the show,and I d like to take some photos:chilli:

Yep, one nice place for man. Only need to spend ¥1000-2000 u can get all u wants, wonderful place indeed.

Back
Top Bottom