What's new

Chinese schoolchildren to sit compulsory manners classes

Jun

Reaction score
Chinese schoolchildren are to sit mandatory manners classes in an attempt to smooth some of the rougher edges off modern Chinese society, the country's ministry of education has announced.
school_1809908c.jpg

From primary school onwards, Chinese children will now receive lessons in the art of queuing, good table manners, how to respect their elders and betters and the correct way to write letters, emails and even send SMS messages.

Older children will be tutored in the arts of introducing oneself to strangers, dealing politely with members of the opposite sex, making public speeches and the rudiments of dealing with foreigners and (to Chinese eyes, at least) their strange ways.

"The goal is to let students know that China is a country with a long history of civilisation, rituals and cultures," said the guidelines which were published on the ministry's website.

Behind the lessons lie Chinese government fears that modern China, having outgrown the guiding ideologies of both Confucianism and Communism, has become an increasingly materialistic and empty society.

China's government frequently tries to improve the situation by launching patriotic campaigns against China's earthier habits, such as spitting, smoking in public lavatories, littering and queue-jumping, but they are mostly ignored.

"The campaign is very necessary for our society now," said Xin Tao, vice director of China's the National Assessment of Education Quality and a professor of Beijing Normal University told the state-run Global Times.

"It's true that many Chinese people aren't well-mannered." However poor manners might be a relative thing. "Without doubt, Chinese children are, by some distance, better mannered and more attentive than their English counterparts," said an English teacher who has taught in both Chinese and English schools, "the problem comes when they leave and enter wider society. They have to fight to get on."

#########
Good Move. It's about time to correct the bad hahits. :china::china:

I think a better way to fix the problems is to bring an end to the one-child policy (very slowly, starting from the big cities). As long as there are single child families around their kids will be the "little emperors" in the house.

Chinese schoolchildren are to sit mandatory manners classes in an attempt to smooth some of the rougher edges off modern Chinese society, the country's ministry of education has announced.
school_1809908c.jpg

Older children will be tutored in the arts of introducing oneself to strangers, dealing politely with members of the opposite sex, making public speeches and the rudiments of dealing with foreigners and (to Chinese eyes, at least) their strange ways.

#########
Good Move. It's about time to correct the bad hahits. :china::china:

I saw tortured at first, that's radical, thought to myself, not that some little monsters dont deserve it these days:rofl::rofl:

Indeed, they will benefit greatly from good manners.

Great move. I am not sure it can be fully blamed on the "one-child-emperor" policy. Any society that has a lot of people, and hence competition can be pretty ill-mannered. That is common in most of India and populous cities of the world like NY, London and Chicago. I would like all of us Indians to have manners and etiquette training as well. At the very least, it should be a part of our coursework that the generation next can benefit from.

Good.

China should also start promoting Chinese philosophy and culture via contemporary music, literature, art, etc.

instilling culture and values is a good thing...great going China...

I think a better way to fix the problems is to bring an end to the one-child policy (very slowly, starting from the big cities). As long as there are single child families around their kids will be the "little emperors" in the house.

One-child policy should be removed. I agree as well but, if they just remove in some cities, you'll have population unbalance. Everyone would want to move to cities so, they can have more babies?

One-child policy should be removed. I agree as well but, if they just remove in some cities, you'll have population unbalance. Everyone would want to move to cities so, they can have more babies?

even if 1 child policy is removed it'll take a millionaire to raise 2 children. my cousin is paying 2000 a month for his daughter's preschool, 500 for special food, and already spent 1000 for toys, that's 1000+2500 per month, he makes 5000, his wife makes 3000, house has to pay back loan 3000 a month, add to that electricity and food, who can raise another child?!

Policy is one thing, to what extent the policy will be enforced is another. I'd say in major cities the one-child policy has been enforced quite thoroughly, but towards vast countryside and suburban areas one can have reasonable doubt.

And yes, overall urbanization is the current state policy of China, that seems to be the only possible way of solving our population-related problems......

even if 1 child policy is removed it'll take a millionaire to raise 2 children. my cousin is paying 2000 a month for his daughter's preschool, 500 for special food, and already spent 1000 for toys, that's 1000+2500 per month, he makes 5000, his wife makes 3000, house has to pay back loan 3000 a month, add to that electricity and food, who can raise another child?!

No way a young couple with average pay can provide comfortable life for 2 kids, that's to say without self-sufficient grandparents pitching in...

Great move. I am not sure it can be fully blamed on the "one-child-emperor" policy. Any society that has a lot of people, and hence competition can be pretty ill-mannered. That is common in most of India and populous cities of the world like NY, London and Chicago. I would like all of us Indians to have manners and etiquette training as well. At the very least, it should be a part of our coursework that the generation next can benefit from.

dude, i agree with you.

family education is the most importance way to teach the children to be well-mannered and the compulsory class in school is not enough!

Couldn't agree more. I know how hard it is to raise 2 kids for middle class family. Specially education, their school [in india the only good schools are the private ones, because in the government schools only poor kids come to study and private schools are damn expensive], their tuition classes [so much competitoin in education so your kids have to have tuition and that too by best tutor.] and all that? I remember when I was in India I used to get 80-85% in school still I was nowhere near top 10 students and when we moved to UK, I've never got anything less than A* I always top in my class. loool I dunno how it is in china? Is it by percentage or grade?

Anyways I read in times magazine named 'The only assets and properties for middle class families are their kids' education.' You've gotta read it man.

Couldn't agree more. I know how hard it is to raise 2 kids for middle class family. Specially education, their school [in india the only good schools are the private ones, because in the government schools only poor kids come to study and private schools are damn expensive], their tuition classes [so much competitoin in education so your kids have to have tuition and that too by best tutor.] and all that? I remember when I was in India I used to get 80-85% in school still I was nowhere near top 10 students and when we moved to UK, I've never got anything less than A* I always top in my class. loool I dunno how it is in china? Is it by percentage or grade?

Anyways I read in times magazine named 'The only assets and properties for middle class families are their kids' education.' You've gotta read it man.

we have it better, government schools are very good, private schools are not useful IMO. no tutors either, i never had one and its not necessary, the school works you enough, if 12 hours per day is not enough then you're just too dumb and the tutor won't help. so from grades 1-9 there is no issue with money except uniforms and books (if you go to school in your home district; this is another issue for migrant workers). 10-12 there is tuition, 10000 per year, and universities also need 10000 per year tuition. funny thing is, preschool is most expensive of everything, but that's when families are least able to afford it.

we have it better, government schools are very good, private schools are not useful IMO. no tutors either, i never had one and its not necessary, the school works you enough, if 12 hours per day is not enough then you're just too dumb and the tutor won't help. so from grades 1-9 there is no issue with money except uniforms and books (if you go to school in your home district; this is another issue for migrant workers). 10-12 there is tuition, 10000 per year, and universities also need 10000 per year tuition. funny thing is, preschool is most expensive of everything, but that's when families are least able to afford it.

In India it's different thing. Just 6 hours of schooling [inldung lunk and break.] And we don't have tutors untill 9-10. Just in 11-12 i'm talking about but primary schools are still so expensive. Even in india you've only gotta buy uniform coz education is free and compulsary till you're 16. But you've gotta study in municipality school not private ones if you want free education.

Back
Top Bottom