What's new

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's Visit to India

LOL what a joke... according to the OECD, 75% of all fake drugs in the world come from India, compared with only 6% for China. :rolleyes:

Fake drugs a bitter pill for India

NEW DELHI - Two recent reports by international health organizations have highlighted the disquieting magnitude of the counterfeit drugs market in India.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) reckons that 75% of the world's total supply of fake drugs can be traced to India.

Between 10 and 30% of all pharmaceuticals in developing countries are counterfeit, according to the 2006 WHO figures cited in the OECD report, which estimates that India is the biggest culprit in the spurious drugs market though other countries such as Egypt (7%) and China (6%) contribute to this menace.

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

India's top 15 exports to China (2007)

Ores, Slag, Ash
Cotton + Yarn, Fabric
Organic Chemicals
Copper + Articles Thereof
Precious Stones, Metals
Iron And Steel
Plastic
Machinery
Salt; Sulfur; Earth, Stone
Inorganic Chemcals; Rare Earth Metals
Electrical Machinery
Hides And Skins
Artificial Flowers, Feathers
Tanning, Dye, Paint, Putty
Fish And Seafood
Quote:
India's top 15 imports from China (2007)

Electrical Machinery
Machinery
Organic Chemicals
Iron And Steel
Iron/Steel Product
s
Fertilizers
Plastic
Impregnatd Text Fabrics
Silk; Silk Yarn, Fabric
Vehicles
Inorganic Chemicals; Rare Earth Metals
Manmade Filament, Fabric
Optic, Nt 8544;Med Instruments
Mineral Fuel, Oil Etc
Aluminum

Of course some people bold only those which suit them. We also buy raw materials from you and sell machinery. Only advantage you have is of the sweat shops which produce American company's goods and are exported to others.

The point remains that Chinese manufacturers are faking Indian brand names and cheating poor Africans.

I'll say it again, according to the OECD, India produces 75% of fake drugs in the world.

So for you to lecture us on fake drugs, is complete hypocrisy.

India's top 15 exports to China (2007)

Ores, Slag, Ash
Cotton + Yarn, Fabric
Organic Chemicals
Copper + Articles Thereof
Precious Stones, Metals
Iron And Steel
Plastic
Machinery
Salt; Sulfur; Earth, Stone
Inorganic Chemcals; Rare Earth Metals
Electrical Machinery
Hides And Skins
Artificial Flowers, Feathers
Tanning, Dye, Paint, Putty
Fish And Seafood
Quote:
India's top 15 imports from China (2007)

Electrical Machinery
Machinery
Organic Chemicals
Iron And Steel
Iron/Steel Product
s
Fertilizers
Plastic
Impregnatd Text Fabrics
Silk; Silk Yarn, Fabric
Vehicles
Inorganic Chemicals; Rare Earth Metals
Manmade Filament, Fabric
Optic, Nt 8544;Med Instruments
Mineral Fuel, Oil Etc
Aluminum

Of course some people bold only those which suit them. We also buy raw materials from you and sell machinery. Only advantage you have is of the sweat shops which produce American company's goods and are exported to others.

Are you an idiot? The list is ranked based on volume of trade.

India's top two export to China by volume

Ores, Slag, Ash
Cotton + Yarn, Fabric

India's top two import from China by volume

Electrical Machinery
Machinery

I bolded Optic, Nt 8544;Med Instruments and Vehicles BECAUSE there are no comparable product on India's side.

I'll say it again, according to the OECD, India produces 75% of fake drugs in the world.

So for you to lecture us on fake drugs is complete hypocrisy.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your figures themselves are fake. You removed the decimal point from 7.5% to make it 75%.

China

Many counterfeit drugs originate in China. The State Food and Drug Administration is not responsible for regulating pharmaceutical ingredients manufactured and exported by chemical companies. This regulatory lack, which has resulted in considerable international news coverage unfavorable to China, has been known for a decade, but failure of Chinese regulatory agencies to cooperate has prevented improvement.[4] On May 6, 2005, the Chinese press agency Xinhua reported that the World Health Organization had established Rapid Alert System (RAS), the world's first web-based system for tracking the activities of drug counterfeiters, in light of the increasing severity of the problem of counterfeit drugs.

June 2009, Nigeria has seized a large consignment of fake anti-malarial drugs with the label of 'made in India' but found that the medicines were in fact produced in China and were imported into the African countries.[5] The authorities have maintained that the incident is not isolated, indicating that it was just the tip of the iceberg. In 2003, the Coalition for Intellectual Property Rights, an independent Russian group, conducted a survey that found that 12 percent of the prescription drugs distributed in Russia were counterfeit.[6].

India
According to a report released by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), 7.5 percent of fake drugs supplied world over have some origins in India, followed by 7 percent from Egypt and 6 percent from China.[7] However, India also is a leading source of high quality generic and patent drugs in legitimate commerce worldwide.

Counterfeit medications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now explain again why China is cheating poor Africans by faking Indian drugs.

Made in China: tainted food, fake drugs and dodgy paint | Business | The Guardian

Made in China: tainted food, fake drugs and dodgy paint

China is facing a global crisis of consumer confidence as the country's food safety watchdog acknowledged this week that almost a fifth of the domestic products it inspects fail to reach minimum standards. Following a number of contamination scandals in the US, the world's biggest exporter is struggling to prove that it can match quality with quantity.

In the first half of 2007, 19.1% of products made for domestic consumption were found to be substandard, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said in a statement on Tuesday. Among products made by small firms, the failure rate was nearly 30%.

"These are not isolated cases," Han Yi, director of the administration's quality control and inspection department, told the state media. Underlining his concerns, officials said hundreds of bottles of fake human blood protein were found in hospitals and excessive amounts of additives and preservatives were detected in children's snacks.

The trust deficit is enormous and growing. Shi Ying, 50, a businesswoman, said she was so concerned about food safety that she found it difficult to shop. "I dare not eat farmed fish or meat because most are fed with growth pills or pumped with bad additives. I worry about vegetables in case they are tainted with pesticide. I even think twice about the water I drink because it might contain heavy metals."

Although Ms Shi lives in Shenzhen, one of China's most-advanced cities, she has started to grow her own vegetables, eat less meat and drink water only from respected bottled brands or the family well. When she does have to shop, she puts safety above patriotism.

"I think foreign food is less risky. Even though they are not as fresh, I trust products from the US, Europe and Japan because those countries protect their environments. Sometimes when I see foreigners blithely eating raw lettuce in Chinese restaurants, I worry for them."

While the worst violations are in the domestic market, the repercussions are felt beyond the country's borders. China fills the shelves of Wal-Mart, Tesco and Sainsbury's with low-price products. But as its world presence has grown, so have concerns about safety.

First, there was a mysterious spate of cat and dog deaths in the US this year that was later attributed to tainted pet food from China. Next, in the US and UK, came the recall of more than 1m Thomas & Friends toy trains coated with poisonous lead paint from China. Then, independence day fireworks were withdrawn in the US because of their dangerously unpredictable sense of direction.

Most of these scandals occurred in the US, where food safety is fast becoming a front in the trade war between the world's biggest consumer and producer.

"I think we have reached a point unfortunately where Made in China is now a warning label in the United States," said a Democratic senator, Richard Durbin, recently. The issue also topped the agenda of recent talks between the US treasury secretary, Henry Paulson, and the Chinese vice-premier, Wu Yi.

Other countries have also expressed concern. Last year Peter Mandelson, the EU trade commissioner, said that European customs officers had seized fake birth control pills and HIV drugs from China. According to Mr Mandelson, half the counterfeit goods found in the EU originate in China.

Japan has also called for higher safety standards, and Singapore, Australia, Panama and the Dominican Republic have recalled millions of tubes of Chinese-made toothpaste that allegedly contained dangerous levels of diethylene glycol, a toxin.

It remains unclear whether this represents a surge in the number of unsafe goods or simply wider coverage at a time of rising trade friction. But the threat to China's business is growing.

In an attempt to quell concerns, the government said yesterday it was drawing up new safety rules for oral care products. Beijing has also promised to revise its inspection system for other products. Last month, the government published its first five-year plan for improving food and drug safety. It closed 180 food factories in the first half of this year and seized tonnes of sweets, pickles, crackers and seafood tainted with formaldehyde, illegal dyes and industrial wax.

But the government also stands accused of reacting slowly to scandal rather than dealing with the root causes: a lack of trust in the safety standards of a country with a profit-first economic policy and a secretive, unaccountable political system.

Public confidence has not been helped by an official response that includes denial and scapegoating.

"I think it would be better if the media would stop playing up this issue," a foreign ministry spokesman, Qin Gang, said this week. Last month, the former head of China's food and drug agency, Zheng Xiaoyu, was sentenced to death for accepting 6.5m yuan (£425,000) in bribes from pharmaceutical companies to expedite the approval of new drugs.

Media reassurances are unconvincing. "More than 80% of China's products are up to standard," the Business Daily said yesterday. It was not meant ironically. This was a gain on the previous year.

Along with health and the environment, consumer safety has been one of the biggest victims of the rush to get rich. The domestic market has probably been affected more than international trade because export standards are higher than for goods sold in China. Last month, food inspectors said paraffin wax, dyes, formaldehyde and cancer-causing compounds were detected in food produced by unlicensed and small producers.

There have also been scandals related to fake or poorly made drugs. Last summer, 11 people were killed by antibiotics that contained diethylene glycol, an industrial toxin. In 2005, two boys in Guangdong province died from rabies after receiving bogus vaccinations. A year before, at least 50 babies in Anhui province died and more than 100 were malnourished after being fed fake milk formula, some of which had only 6% of the vitamins, minerals and protein needed for a growing infant.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Made in China: tainted food, fake drugs and dodgy paint | Business | The Guardian

Made in China: tainted food, fake drugs and dodgy paint

China is facing a global crisis of consumer confidence as the country's food safety watchdog acknowledged this week that almost a fifth of the domestic products it inspects fail to reach minimum standards. Following a number of contamination scandals in the US, the world's biggest exporter is struggling to prove that it can match quality with quantity.

In the first half of 2007, 19.1% of products made for domestic consumption were found to be substandard, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said in a statement on Tuesday. Among products made by small firms, the failure rate was nearly 30%.

"These are not isolated cases," Han Yi, director of the administration's quality control and inspection department, told the state media. Underlining his concerns, officials said hundreds of bottles of fake human blood protein were found in hospitals and excessive amounts of additives and preservatives were detected in children's snacks.

The trust deficit is enormous and growing. Shi Ying, 50, a businesswoman, said she was so concerned about food safety that she found it difficult to shop. "I dare not eat farmed fish or meat because most are fed with growth pills or pumped with bad additives. I worry about vegetables in case they are tainted with pesticide. I even think twice about the water I drink because it might contain heavy metals."

Although Ms Shi lives in Shenzhen, one of China's most-advanced cities, she has started to grow her own vegetables, eat less meat and drink water only from respected bottled brands or the family well. When she does have to shop, she puts safety above patriotism.

"I think foreign food is less risky. Even though they are not as fresh, I trust products from the US, Europe and Japan because those countries protect their environments. Sometimes when I see foreigners blithely eating raw lettuce in Chinese restaurants, I worry for them."

While the worst violations are in the domestic market, the repercussions are felt beyond the country's borders. China fills the shelves of Wal-Mart, Tesco and Sainsbury's with low-price products. But as its world presence has grown, so have concerns about safety.

First, there was a mysterious spate of cat and dog deaths in the US this year that was later attributed to tainted pet food from China. Next, in the US and UK, came the recall of more than 1m Thomas & Friends toy trains coated with poisonous lead paint from China. Then, independence day fireworks were withdrawn in the US because of their dangerously unpredictable sense of direction.

Most of these scandals occurred in the US, where food safety is fast becoming a front in the trade war between the world's biggest consumer and producer.

"I think we have reached a point unfortunately where Made in China is now a warning label in the United States," said a Democratic senator, Richard Durbin, recently. The issue also topped the agenda of recent talks between the US treasury secretary, Henry Paulson, and the Chinese vice-premier, Wu Yi.

Other countries have also expressed concern. Last year Peter Mandelson, the EU trade commissioner, said that European customs officers had seized fake birth control pills and HIV drugs from China. According to Mr Mandelson, half the counterfeit goods found in the EU originate in China.

Japan has also called for higher safety standards, and Singapore, Australia, Panama and the Dominican Republic have recalled millions of tubes of Chinese-made toothpaste that allegedly contained dangerous levels of diethylene glycol, a toxin.

It remains unclear whether this represents a surge in the number of unsafe goods or simply wider coverage at a time of rising trade friction. But the threat to China's business is growing.

In an attempt to quell concerns, the government said yesterday it was drawing up new safety rules for oral care products. Beijing has also promised to revise its inspection system for other products. Last month, the government published its first five-year plan for improving food and drug safety. It closed 180 food factories in the first half of this year and seized tonnes of sweets, pickles, crackers and seafood tainted with formaldehyde, illegal dyes and industrial wax.

But the government also stands accused of reacting slowly to scandal rather than dealing with the root causes: a lack of trust in the safety standards of a country with a profit-first economic policy and a secretive, unaccountable political system.

Public confidence has not been helped by an official response that includes denial and scapegoating.

"I think it would be better if the media would stop playing up this issue," a foreign ministry spokesman, Qin Gang, said this week. Last month, the former head of China's food and drug agency, Zheng Xiaoyu, was sentenced to death for accepting 6.5m yuan (£425,000) in bribes from pharmaceutical companies to expedite the approval of new drugs.

Media reassurances are unconvincing. "More than 80% of China's products are up to standard," the Business Daily said yesterday. It was not meant ironically. This was a gain on the previous year.

Along with health and the environment, consumer safety has been one of the biggest victims of the rush to get rich. The domestic market has probably been affected more than international trade because export standards are higher than for goods sold in China. Last month, food inspectors said paraffin wax, dyes, formaldehyde and cancer-causing compounds were detected in food produced by unlicensed and small producers.

There have also been scandals related to fake or poorly made drugs. Last summer, 11 people were killed by antibiotics that contained diethylene glycol, an industrial toxin. In 2005, two boys in Guangdong province died from rabies after receiving bogus vaccinations. A year before, at least 50 babies in Anhui province died and more than 100 were malnourished after being fed fake milk formula, some of which had only 6% of the vitamins, minerals and protein needed for a growing infant.

There you people go again. Derailing with long-*** articles that have no relevance to the discussion (trade deficit) and that no one will read. post reported.

I think there are many similarities between now and just before 1962. In 1959, there was a failed uprising in Tibet and Dalai Lama went to India. This was the beginning of the hostile relationship. In 2008, Dalai Lama went to Tawang to strengthen India's claim to that territory. This is also the beginning of the current deterioration of relationships.

So, in 1960, Zhou Enlai gives peace one last try and gives an offer on the border. India refused and very soon the war was on. Now in 2010, Wen Jiabao is coming to give peace one last try. It looks like India is saying no again.

So will the war this time happen in autumn like back in 1962 or will it happen in the spring or summer? What timing would Indian tactics prefer?

roger, the visit surely means ‘give peace one last try’. an offensive push forward doctrine seems to have surfaced. enemy forces’ deployment is nearing completion as massive backup support. if the conflict limits within the region concerned, expect a sudden assault in the spring or summer. satellite images not relibale as decoys been placed. time to take position.

Are you an idiot? The list is ranked based on volume of trade.

India's top two export to China by volume

Ores, Slag, Ash
Cotton + Yarn, Fabric

India's top two import from China by volume

Electrical Machinery
Machinery

I bolded Optic, Nt 8544;Med Instruments and Vehicles BECAUSE there are no comparable product on India's side.

Because they are cheap. We can not suck the blood out of labor. Now due to NREGA scheme, the poorest of the poor in rural India get some money and no one will be ready to work on Chinese standards. I concede you have an advantage there.

Back
Top Bottom