What's new

Chinese Missiles News & Discussions

SD-50 is a SAM version of PL-12/SD-10 with additional booster. PLA shouldn't be interested as they have so many other options developed from the very beginning as SAMs.
That is true, I agree. It could in theory be a good naval SAM for export though. Couldn't it in theory be able to fit in HQ-7 configuration? It is lighter than LY-80, and seems a lot thinner diameter wise but is still kind of long.
11-1c742c889a.jpg

PLA-N-HHQ-7-Naval-Crotale-3S.jpg

It would be much easier to integrate this on ships with decks not able to support VLS systems and much better protected than current ships equipped with short range SAMs.
Sky_Dragon_50_GAS2_Medium-Range_Surface-to-Air_defense_missile_system_China_Chinese_defense_industry_military_equipment_009.jpg

I knew it was based off PL-12... So China doesn't use the SAM itself? Somebody asked this a few pages back but nobody answered for him.

That is true, I agree. It could in theory be a good naval SAM for export though. Couldn't it in theory be able to fit in HQ-7 configuration? It is lighter than LY-80, and seems a lot thinner diameter wise but is still kind of long.
11-1c742c889a.jpg

PLA-N-HHQ-7-Naval-Crotale-3S.jpg

It would be much easier to integrate this on ships with decks not able to support VLS systems and much better protected than current ships equipped with short range SAMs.
Sky_Dragon_50_GAS2_Medium-Range_Surface-to-Air_defense_missile_system_China_Chinese_defense_industry_military_equipment_009.jpg

I knew it was based off PL-12... So China doesn't use the SAM itself? Somebody asked this a few pages back but nobody answered for him.

China destroyer VLS system used quadpad of these missiles(DK-10) in one silo. As for frigate or export warship, such VLS will be expensive which so far no market for such system.

China destroyer VLS system used quadpad of these missiles in one silo. As for frigate or export warship, such VLS will be expensive which so far no market for such system.
How would it be expensive? It would be much cheaper to have a system above deck than below deck.

Like this, but instead of HQ-7 it could be Sky Dragon 50 if dimensions permit it.
397946_302302989827493_100001433824085_840350_2050153041_n.jpg

I'm just saying, you could advertise it as an air-defence ship to 3rd world African/Asian nations that can't afford expensive dedicated air-defence ships with VLS. 50 KM range is great if you could integrate it on 2-4 ton ships.

How would it be expensive? It would be much cheaper to have a system above deck than below deck.

Like this, but instead of HQ-7 it could be Sky Dragon 50 if dimensions permit it.
397946_302302989827493_100001433824085_840350_2050153041_n.jpg

I'm just saying, you could advertise it as an air-defence ship to 3rd world African/Asian nations that can't afford expensive dedicated air-defence ships with VLS. 50 KM range is great if you could integrate it on 2-4 ton ships.
The VLS is highly complex and expensive system and also the weight added will be far greater which once again come back to balancing the ship. This will make export very expensive for warship. So far, China do not have very rich customers for most of our weapon system.

The VLS is highly complex and expensive system and also the weight added will be far greater which once again come back to balancing the ship. This will make export very expensive for warship. So far, China do not have very rich customers for most of our weapon system.
It's a real problem. The US and Russia have the market on lock, it's difficult to see how China will be able to break through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom