Chinese media briefed on economic corridor projects

Shabaz Sharif

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By The Newspaper's Reporter
Published about 24 hours ago

53a3896e05b43.jpg

Federal Minister for Planning, Development and Reforms Ahsan Iqbal briefs on Chinese projects in Pakistan during a meeting with a Chinese media delegation.—APP
ISLAMABAD: Planning and Development Minister Ahsan Iqbal has said that the Pak-China Economic Corridor will bring positive change to the lives of three billion people in the region.

During a meeting with a delegation of the Chinese media here on Thursday, he said long-term projects of the Pak-China Economic Corridor would be completed by 2030 while groundbreaking ceremonies for short-term projects would be held this year and they would be completed by 2017.

Total investment in the Pak-China Economic Corridor was around $32 billion, he said, adding that the financial mode would be decided next month.

The “early harvest” projects comprise of energy and infrastructure sector projects. Infrastructure sector projects include Raikot-Islamabad Highway (Karakoram Highway); Multan-Sukkur Motorway; Gwadar Airport and other development projects, including hospitals.

Energy sector projects include 20,000MW in IPP mode (Bin Qasim power plant, Gadani power plant, Sahiwal power plant); transmission lines for evacuation of power; 1,000MW in Bahawalpur Solar Park and 220MW renewable solar energy project near Karachi.

The minister informed the delegation that he had urged Chinese authorities to engage local workforce in development projects and ensure transfer of technology so that employment could be generated and people could take ownership of these projects.

These projects, he said, would have a positive impact on three integrated regions — South Asia, China and Central Asia — and this cooperation would double trade between Pakistan and China.

At present China is the 16th largest trade partner of Pakistan and after completion of these projects it will become Pakistan’s biggest trade partner.

Mr Iqbal said the corridor would mutually benefit the two countries. It would allow China cheapest inflow of supply and cheapest outbound cargo, he added.

Published in Dawn, June 20th, 2014

Most important for Pakistan is:
(1) Safety
(2) Growth

You need get (1) done before (2) can be realized.

It is pathetic to see a Federal Minister hold Map in his hand to give briefing to Chinese media .. $32 Billion key projects discuss kar raha hey .. salay Rs3000-4000 ka projector he karaye par ley laita ..

A one-time investment, long-term benefit.

Welcome aboard Chinese high-speed trains in Western development.

I wonder what long term projects are which will be completed by 2030? Train link?

I wonder what long term projects are which will be completed by 2030? Train link?
I don't know, but the survey and design has been carried out. I think certainly not so long, just started, two years isalmost finished.

Back
Top Bottom