What's new

Chinese 4G technology to go into operation

DF-41 ICBM

BANNED
Reaction score
The first 4G mobile phone based on homegrown technology is expected to debut in Shanghai in the first half of next year, when commercial use of 4G services will have begun, China Mobile said yesterday.

China Mobile, the world's biggest mobile operator with around 700 million subscribers, has established a TD-LTE (time division-long term evolution) network covering areas within the Inner Ring Road in Shanghai, to provide much faster network speeds. "We will provide TD-LTE handsets and related services next year," Mao Weiliang, Shanghai Mobile's vice general manager of data services division, said during the annual Shanghai Telecommunications Conference.

China Mobile is pushing the development of its own 4G technology, which is five to 10 times faster than the current 3G network, to improve the mobile broadband experience and fuel the nation's economy by attracting investment.

China Mobile has begun commercial 4G services in Hangzhou but is only providing data cards at present. There are no TD-LTE phones ready for the market.

It plans to build TD-LTE networks in 13 cities nationwide by the end of this year, including Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou and Shenzhen.

The 3G and coming 4G networks will improve mobile Internet quality and relieve pressure on mobile carriers, which face surging data traffic demand, industry insiders said.

More than 80 percent of Shanghai Mobile's 20 million users use their handsets to access the Internet, and use 50 megabytes data traffic every month on average.

China Unicom's Shanghai branch has 1.18 million 3G users in the city, using 207 megabytes every month.

China Mobile's total user data consumption jumped more than 50 percent annually in the past years, Xi said.

China has set TD-LTE as a strategic industry to develop because the homegrown 3G network will evolve into the 4G network, according to Zhang Xiaoqiang, vice director of the National Development and Reform Commission. But the industry still needs more investment in chips, software and global expansion, Zhang said.

Laurence Ding, NEC China's carrier network operation's general manager, said: "Besides the latest trials in China, TD-LTE has become an international standard for 4G with overseas adoption,"

NEC has also developed equipment supporting both TD-LTE and Western LTE technologies, Ding said.

By June 1, operators had launched a total of nine commercial networks in overseas markets including Japan, Sweden and India, according to the Global TD-LTE Initiative, a telecom industry alliance.

Shanghai users to get 4G phones next year_Telecom--China Economic Net

wow very good news this is what good ambitious hard working government is all about

Well its depends . Leave aside international standards in the past few countries have developed their own systems for communication like CDMA and others........

So as far as it is good for their home networks they are good to go............

Ericsson is working on LTE-Advance with download up to 1 Gbps and upload till 500 Mbps.......... The current system availble in market from ericsson is 80Mbps .That is simple LTE.

btw how much this TD-LTE can offer .............

It is a China and 3rd world country only standard.

Oh come on u can do better than that. They are developing sumthing . If u cannot be appreciative then don't show ur negativity here. I hope u dont mind.

Chinese members can u tell me what is download speed being offered by this TD-LTE. I am just curious..........

Except that developed countries don't use it.
LOL at Korean inferiority :rofl: Korean is so "developed" it has to pay licensing fees to use other country's 4G patents.

Oh come on u can do better than that. They are developing sumthing . If u cannot be appreciative then don't show ur negativity here. I hope u dont mind.

Chinese members can u tell me what is download speed being offered by this TD-LTE. I am just curious..........
4G means wifi speed anywhere on the go and you can turn your phone into a wifi transmitter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom