What's new

China's Race for Artificial Intelligence (AI) Technology

e.g. "look, he bought a sex toy at that store, although he was a single or he is a pervert with some kinky phantasy"
Is this the reason your avatar changed from Alte Mutter?

177528-1.jpg.gif

Because of the Transatlantic sycophants in politics and business who think relying on our great friend and partner on the other side of the pond can't go wrong. It's not that we don't have great IT people in Germany or the EU, we just don't have an environment to foster the startups into successful MNC.

When the IT industry stated to get into the web, we had all the rivaling companies that the US also had, but step by step, they all got crushed or bought by google and Co. The only one we have that is still very competitive is SAP, Nixdorf, Siemens etc. all have given up.
what does Nixsdorf do these days ?

No, I thought the way the calligrapher wrote the words was so poetic. :enjoy:

Ah my valued frined,

You dare them!

I can see the poetic elements as well... the depth of your rejection to the fake illusions around us...brave. Quite brave.

Alles van waarde is weerloos!

Arcadia was written before our good ShakeSpear did his magic acts...yet Kant never really left his town.

You keep doing what is right...

Fun.

Publishing research paper is one thing, publishing quality research paper is another thing, and publishing quality, innovative, and ground breaking research paper is another big thing.

While it is somewhat an indication that China is publishing good amount of research papers on AI, but we have not seen any groundbreaking products came out of China results of these.

Currently I doubt China's research on AI is at the same level and sophistication as the Americans, maybe in the future China will catch up.

According to Thomson Reuters Web of Science index, we find PRC leading the world in highly cited publications of AI research.

Courtesy of Web of Science

For period 2006-2016, countries
S8pTZDs.png

For period 2006-2016, institutes
3zeCwBw.png

For period 2011-2016, countries
jku4gow.png

For period 2011-2016, institutes
99vBPKd.png

Last edited:
Is it only me who thinks that ever since the discovery of atomic fission, science progress became a race to the bottom of human development?

For a bit of comfort, many are willing to give up freedom till we all become slaves of a neo-feudal oligarchy.

Smart city sounds cool, but it also means 100% supervision. Cashless shopping makes shopping more comfortable, but with the data in the wrong hands or a tyrannical regime (nobody knows who will rule in the future) can used as a weapon against you, e.g. "look, he bought a sex toy at that store, although he was a single or he is a pervert with some kinky phantasy". Or, "He bought that book with forbidden thoughts", although that book was at that time legal and became illegal after the dictator came to power.

Tought about the exact same bolded expression recently.

Social structure had changed rapidly since the end of Feudalism in Europe. In fact ideas like individualism or nationalism or modern state wouldn't even be imagined in a feudally organised territories. Back then there was a rigid hierarchy in society and where you "belonged" determined even before you was born. It was rigid structure because it was coming from a certain social preassure.

After the end of feudalism and with the emergence of national identites, people were belong their national identity. You didn't "belong" to any serf that ruled your region. You had no regional identity. You had a national identity. And that national identity was completely earthly and secular. You can't change your religion and hate it, change where you live and hate it, even hate the serf that rules you. But you can't change your national identity that's who you are. That's your mother's tongue. In all your life you want be able to talk any language better then your mother tongue.

But somehow we changed that beautiful and weel tought out identity again. Right now we are again feeling a "belonging" to our occupation, the company that we work, the social class that we're in, the store that we shop etc. We are forming little feudal serfdoms in the name of companies or NGO's. People not only spend their time in there for money professionally but feel some form of "attachment". If you're gay you're not Turk anymore. You're a gay and you belong to LGBT community. If you're minority you belong to that community. If you're religious then you're from the religious community. If you insist that you define yourself with your national identity, then you're ostracized and "pejoratively" called as nationalist.

In that micro-identities that we invented we are seeing much heavier social preassure to adapt. To become something that we quite not feel right. From the brand we wear to where the hell we go for holiday we simply share them willingly on social media. Because we need to feel that belonging. We need that approval. There is no privacy anymore. We are in the age of sharing. Oversharing in fact.

I'm a computer scientist and spend quite sometime in front of a computer but I never used social media. I don't have any "facebook" or "twitter". I don't take selfies and share on the internet. I don't announce my holidays or where I shop. People can't believe this when I say that. In Turkey if you don't have a facebook people simply assume you don't know how to use a computer and can't find any other reason not to have a social media account.

In that age of social preassure, nothing stays private and with the internet of things coming up the accumulated data of each individual will rise exponentially. And the next dictator won't be a guy who will force us to use these technologies. The next dictator will sell these technologies to us and we will buy them blindly like idiots. We will be watched, categorized, predicted and will be known to other entities so well that probably we don't know ourselves that well.

Even Turkish government with it's very limited technological capabilities and let's say an ideology and state of mind that belongs to 7th century, looks social media accounts of government employees and fire them if they drink alcohol and share that photo on facebook. I don't want to blame the victim here but he shared those pictures willingly. Shared his private life on internet where billions of people use each day. And what could go wrong right?

Tought about the exact same bolded expression recently.

Social structure had changed rapidly since the end of Feudalism in Europe. In fact ideas like individualism or nationalism or modern state wouldn't even be imagined in a feudally organised territories. Back then there was a rigid hierarchy in society and where you "belonged" determined even before you was born. It was rigid structure because it was coming from a certain social preassure.

After the end of feudalism and with the emergence of national identites, people were belong their national identity. You didn't "belong" to any serf that ruled your region. You had no regional identity. You had a national identity. And that national identity was completely earthly and secular. You can't change your religion and hate it, change where you live and hate it, even hate the serf that rules you. But you can't change your national identity that's who you are. That's your mother's tongue. In all your life you want be able to talk any language better then your mother tongue.

But somehow we changed that beautiful and weel tought out identity again. Right now we are again feeling a "belonging" to our occupation, the company that we work, the social class that we're in, the store that we shop etc. We are forming little feudal serfdoms in the name of companies or NGO's. People not only spend their time in there for money professionally but feel some form of "attachment". If you're gay you're not Turk anymore. You're a gay and you belong to LGBT community. If you're minority you belong to that community. If you're religious then you're from the religious community. If you insist that you define yourself with your national identity, then you're ostracized and "pejoratively" called as nationalist.

In that micro-identities that we invented we are seeing much heavier social preassure to adapt. To become something that we quite not feel right. From the brand we wear to where the hell we go for holiday we simply share them willingly on social media. Because we need to feel that belonging. We need that approval. There is no privacy anymore. We are in the age of sharing. Oversharing in fact.

I'm a computer scientist and spend quite sometime in front of a computer but I never used social media. I don't have any "facebook" or "twitter". I don't take selfies and share on the internet. I don't announce my holidays or where I shop. People can't believe this when I say that. In Turkey if you don't have a facebook people simply assume you don't know how to use a computer and can't find any other reason not to have a social media account.

In that age of social preassure, nothing stays private and with the internet of things coming up the accumulated data of each individual will rise exponentially. And the next dictator won't be a guy who will force us to use these technologies. The next dictator will sell these technologies to us and we will buy them blindly like idiots. We will be watched, categorized, predicted and will be known to other entities so well that probably we don't know ourselves that well.

Even Turkish government with it's very limited technological capabilities and let's say an ideology and state of mind that belongs to 7th century, looks social media accounts of government employees and fire them if they drink alcohol and share that photo on facebook. I don't want to blame the victim here but he shared those pictures willingly. Shared his private life on internet where billions of people use each day. And what could go wrong right?

Very well written! What you call little feudal serfdom can be regarded as neo-tribalism, where each and every interests groups form their respective tribes. The tribes can be split into tiny fractions till society cannot function as an entity anymore. But that's the ruling class goal, isn't it? A fractured society has no power to counter tyranny. Western modern society is regressing into the pre-Westphalian era plus fascism and modern IT technology where 100% surveillance is possible and sheeples blindlingly embrace this new "comfort" and "security".

Imagine a cashless society run by a tyrannical system with 100% surveillance. Not even Orwell could have conceived this nightmare. How about switch off your bankcard for a month for saying the wrong thing or posting a non-PC pic on facebook or having contact with the "wrong" person? It goes deeper, even your family and good friends will be on the watchlist once your bankcard got switched off as to observe whether they have increased their grocery purchase to help you out for the time being. They, too, will be punished for helping you and then you can think who in the future will dare to lend a helping hand to family members or friends.

Beware of anything that has the prefix "smart" in it!

Who is she?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Jones

:partay:

Last edited:
This is research based on numbers, not quality. Both the graphs here signify numbers.

It would have been better if we would have compared papers by their total citations.

:)

According to Thomson Reuters Web of Science index, we find PRC leading the world in highly cited publications of AI research.

Courtesy of Web of Science

For period 2011-2016, countries
jku4gow.png

:)

computer science.JPG

I don't think we should dig too deep into AI. A self-learning and self-aware AI could spell doom for humanity. This is the same view shared by some of the brightest people on earth, including Hawking, Gates and Musk. Once we cross that technological singularity, there is no going back.
i dont think AI bots wil come close to human being as a whole for non-living elements have no life in themselves.

Artificial intelligence won’t replace humans anytime soon, say China’s tech leaders

dd

While there’s no doubt artificial intelligence (AI) is the new frontier, AI applications won’t be able to perform complicated jobs or replace humans anytime soon, China’s tech leaders said on Thursday.

Technology companies in China and the rest of the world are exploring opportunities in AI, but the foundation for the technology is still not mature, said Pony Ma Huateng, chairman and chief executive of Chinese internet powerhouse Tencent Holdings.

“Cloud computing driven by AI and big data are absolutely the new frontier but... I think we still need a lot of effort in building the foundation, for example we need better algorithms,” Ma said at the World Internet Conference in Wuzhen.

It is possible for AI technology to be used in various industries with different applications but because current technology development is too preliminary AI is unable to perform complicated tasks, he added.

“We have been discussing AI for a decade, but only saw a breakthrough over the past year after [Google’s] Alpha Go beat a human [playing Go]. However, applying AI technology in various industries is not that simple. We are still far away from achieving this,” Ma said.

Tencent and China’s two other technology giants Baidu and Alibaba Group – collectively known as BAT – have all been investing in developing AI technologies.

There is still a long way to go to create human-like AI applications. So AI can only do some simple tasks in the near future
YANG YUANQING, LENOVO CHAIRMAN
Starting in 2013, Baidu began developing its AI system, Baidu Brain, which is now powering applications in image recognition, voice recognition and its autonomous cars. Alibaba, which owns the South China Morning Post, has expanded its AI applications into areas such as traffic control, customer services, and real-time voice recognition.

Among BAT, Tencent was the latest to join the AI frenzy. Yet Ma said: “Every technology company will explore opportunities in AI and integrate it with the company’s advantages. In the past, when one company seized the opportunity in the mobile internet sector, it didn’t mean that other companies had lost the chance.”

Speaking at the same conference, Yang Yuanqing, chairman and chief executive of computer maker Lenovo Group, said the development of AI technology is still at a very early stage.

“There is still a long way to go to create human-like AI applications. So AI can only do some simple tasks in the near future,” he said.

But AI will become an important element in developing smart devices, Yang said. “We may not care about the shape of a smart device in the future, but will focus on how to integrate AI with the smart device which will be able to help people solve more problems.”

http://www.scmp.com/business/compan...lligence-wont-replace-humans-anytime-soon-say

It will just replace people on the bottom of the labor pool.

I can see a day coming where you go into a room in a hospital/clinic/mall where a device gives you a complete body scan and does some other blood/pressure tests, runs a diagnosis algorithm, and tells you the outcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom