What's new

China's Nanotechnology's Landscape`!

@Below_freezing

how long will it take to learn Chinese for someone like me (without any knowledge ) ?

learning chinese is quite tricky, it seems very difficult when look at those 'complicated' charactors, but after sufficient knowledge of less than 3000 charactors u shouldnt hv any problems of reading newspaper and even scientific papers, as chinese is very comprehensive, we dont invent new words or vocabularies for new terminology or new items, we just use existing words but to combine them in different way``

for example, 飞 means fly, 机 means machine, so if u put them together 飞机 that means flying machine -- plane`` :) funny isnt it`!!
so based on that u can easily figured out computer, nanotech in chinese ( 电脑 electronic brain, 纳米技术 minimiter scale technology) lol``

i need to warm u the prononciation is the most difficult part, u need to spend a lot time to learn the '4' tongues, after mastering the difference of the '4' tongues then learning chinese become very easy and fun !

p.s in chinese we dont hv past, current or future tense, we just use one charactor to definine the time in the context``

hope this will help u a bit`

@Below_freezing

how long will it take to learn Chinese for someone like me (without any knowledge ) ?

1-2 Years of intensive training should get you the basic skills needed to survive: buy food, use transport, read school announcements. It will also set you up to pass the HSK.

Depending on the subject, you need a 3 to 8 on the HSK to get into grad school in China. Basic science is the lowest at around 3, followed by engineering and management/accounting at around 5. Everything else needs 8. This is approximate, I'm not too sure myself.

Pick an advisor that did his postdoc in US/Canada/Britain/Australia. If you pick one that did the postdoc in China, Japan, Germany, Singapore, etc. he might not know enough English to help you.

Grammar is easy, like rcrmj said:

don't use tense. 我吃过 means i ate 我正在吃 means i am eating 我会吃 i will eat

my school has the major in 纳米科学与技术 (nami kexue yu jishu) in the 材料科学与工程学院 (cailiao kexue yu gongcheng xueyuan)

nami = nano, kexue = science, yu = and, jishu = technology
cailiao = materials, kexue = science, yu = and, gongcheng = engineering, xueyuan = school

here is the grad admission site for my school.

http://www.hustzs.cn/GradAdmission/Show.asp?id=616

it lists every department and the research going on by each professor.

when you can read this list, you are good enough.

But if you want to study in Germany or Sweden, you need to study their language for that. Is there any rule like that in China?
Since learning Chinese/mandarin is a humongous task. :)
not really.
my perception is:
English - quick to say one or two. but it's hard to speak fluently. I think most chinese fellows have the same feeling.
Chinese - opposite. you will feel hard in the beginning, easier moving forward.

@Skull and Bones

No intention to discourage you, but it is a better idea to study in US or just in India given the language barrier you are going to encounter in China. After all, it is academic study which requires intense communication with people around you, not just a casual tour.

If you want to have a tour around China, you don't have to worry about the language difficulties.

Indian students in china is a good thing. It helps the local populace get acquainted with indian culture and customs. This is how we got USA and europe on our side....soft power.

If you really want to experience Chinese academia but do not want to learn too much Chinese, you can always apply for a Hong Kong school. The Hong Kong Polytech University 香港理工大学 has an applied physics program with emphasis in nanotech and materials.

Back
Top Bottom