What's new

China's Grocery Shopping Is 100 Years In The FUTURE! (AMERICA COULD NEVER)

Maintaining a small number of criminals will stimulate the development of anti-theft systems and models. It is an important key to advanced civilization.
Okay, this just got weird.......I am a........gonna go...

China has 1/4 the arable land of the US. Yes, China needs to play up their grocery shopping. :enjoy:

So it's ok for Americans to steal from their supermarkets?
Buddy, when Viktor Belenko defected to the West in his MIG-25 back in 1976 and later saw American grocery stores in NYC, he thought the entire city was a CIA construction just for him. Ask your parents what China was like in 1976 with half rotten dog meat in the markets. This is more to make you feel good than it is to embarrass Americans.

Buddy, when Viktor Belenko defected to the West in his MIG-25 back in 1976 and later saw American grocery stores in NYC, he thought the entire city was a CIA construction just for him. Ask your parents what China was like in 1976 with half rotten dog meat in the markets. This is more to make you feel good than it is to embarrass Americans.
We Beijing people don't eat dog meat and don't sound like you visited Beijing before, it sounds extremely stupid. besides, we don't live in the past, we live in the present.

China's Grocery Shopping Is 100 Years In The FUTURE! (AMERICA COULD NEVER)

BTW did you notice this about the Chinese shopping carts in the OP..."TROLLEE"
trollee.png

TROLLEE Shopping Platform, developed by iFREE Group and powered by Veea's Edge Computing and Advertising platforms, drives new revenue opportunities for retailers and increases customer loyalty
Veea Inc. Global Headquarters 164 E 83rd Street New York, NY, 10028

Who still grocery shop nowadays?

@Hamartia Antidote @CIA Mole @gambit@Rusty2 @Foinikas

I uses Amazon, Ebay and Hello Fresh for grocery and fresh food, and If I ever need to shop at a supermarket, they do delivery for free when you shop online you know?

I can't even remember when is the last time I actually went to the Supermarket, I did last month because I wanted to use their toilet when I am outside but I don't remember last time I was in a supermarket browsing for food...probably 5 years ago??

I am surprised supermarket is still in business......

One of my local supermarkets, Stop&Shop, has had scanning guns available for customers to walk around with for over 15 years (2007) so you don't have to go through the checkout...

China is definitely way behind as stores can even skip all the hardware and you can just scan things with your phone.

This is from 12 years ago
July 07, 2011 QUINCY, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced today the launch of Scan It! Mobile – the next generation of its in-store handheld scanner that allows customers to use their mobile device to scan and bag their groceries while they shop. Operating on the iPhone® 3GS or 4G, the new app allows customers to complete an entire shopping trip on their mobile devices. Shoppers can download the app for free at stopandshop.com/scanitmobile or the Apple® App Store today.
  • 2003 – Shopping Buddy, a tablet attached to the shopping cart, piloted in three stores
  • 2007 – Scan It! and Weigh It! were launched. Scan It! was the next evolution of Shopping Buddy which provided shoppers with a smaller handheld device to scan items and receive personalized offers. Weigh It! self-service scales in produce launched to complement Scan It! handhelds. Scan It! and Weight It! are now available in more than 250 stores
  • 2011 – Scan It! Mobile piloted in three Mass. stores; expanded rollout 2012

They also have robots in the aisles looking for spills and checking inventory

Last edited:
One of my local supermarkets has had scanning guns available for customers to walk around with for years so you don't have to go through the checkout...

China definitely way behind as stores can even skip all the hardware and you can scan things with your phone.
One of my local (well, next suburb stores actually) have AI Self Serve check out where the Checkout counter have AI to identify the item you bought. So you don't need to put stuff in yourself

people hated them tho, it make them feel like they are criminal

One of my local (well, next suburb stores actually) have AI Self Serve check out where the Checkout counter have AI to identify the item you bought. So you don't need to put stuff in yourself

people hated them tho, it make them feel like they are criminal

Amazon has a way more advanced cart than the Chinese one in the video. You don't even have to line up the barcode to a front scanner. The cart identifies it automatically when you drop it in the cart.

yes, it does produce too as there is a scale in the cart,

China always years behind..but somehow PDF members think they are ahead.

I think cameras above self-checkouts is pretty standard here.

Last edited:
Amazon has a way more advanced cart than the Chinese one in the video. You don't even have to line up the barcode to a front scanner. The cart scans it automatically when you drop it in the cart.

It depends on how widely they are being used, the OP video was made by Americans and they don't seem to know the tech in US. just as every country has digitial payment devices but very few countries can be a totally cash free country like China.

It depends on how widely they are being used, the OP video was made by Americans and they don't seem to know the tech in US. just as every country has digitial payment devices but very few countries can be a totally cash free country like China.

Computer vision is 21st Century tech. Those Chinese carts are using old bar code tech scanners. The Amazon dash cart sees the item with cameras and recognizes it. No barcodes needed.

Called the Amazon Dash Cart, the cart uses computer vision algorithms and sensor fusion technology to identify items that customers place in its basket. To pay, shoppers walk through a special Amazon Dash Cart lane, where sensors automatically identify the cart and the items selected, and their payment is processed using the credit card on their Amazon account.

With computer vision you don't even need a cart. You just grab an item and walk out.

Last edited:
Computer vision is 21st Century tech. Those Chinese carts are using old bar code tech scanners. The Amazon dash cart sees the item with cameras and recognizes it. No barcodes needed.

It depends on how widely they are being used, it's just one video, doesn't mean it's the top science, it only reflects what those two Americans think. China is very good at applying tech in mass scale, like HSR, EVs..., that is more important, application is the king.

Amazon has a way more advanced cart than the Chinese one in the video. You don't even have to line up the barcode to a front scanner. The cart scans it automatically when you drop it in the cart.

yes, it does produce too as there is a scale in the cart,

That's the same system we had I think just less mobile because it would be on the exit. IIRC, there used to be manual self serve exit, you park the trolley and then scan each item by hand, now you just have to park the trolley and they will do it for you

it only reflects what those two Americans think.

LOL! Yeah, you got burned by a clickbait title. This is why you should be careful of what you post.

China is very good at applying tech in mass scale, like HSR, EVs..., that is more important, application is the king.
I suppose those carts in the OP are in every grocery store in China?

I'm sure Chinese companies will come over to the US and see what tech works and bring those ideas back to China and apply it on a mass scale and say they are the most cutting edge innovative country in the world.

Last edited:
It depends on how widely they are being used, it's just one video, doesn't mean it's the top science, it only reflects what those two Americans think. China is very good at applying tech in mass scale, like HSR, EVs..., that is more important, application is the king.
It DOES mean it is top science. Becuase they would have to be invented first.

I mean China would have more mobile/internet user than America for the account there are more Chinese than American, does that mean China lead that technology of mobile phone or internet??

AI/Visual recognition is not something new by the way

That's the same system we had I think just less mobile because it would be on the exit. IIRC, there used to be manual self serve exit, you park the trolley and then scan each item by hand, now you just have to park the trolley and they will do it for you

Hmm..that just sounds like the old way of having a cashier do everything.

Back
Top Bottom