What's new

China's first quantum communication network

I am not too familiar with it either, but it does make the network safer, and its signal can travel faster than the speed of light, so it is suitable for the communication of the space travelling. :coffee:

That just doesn't sound right....Faster-than-light communication is, by Einstein's theory of relativity, equivalent to time travel. (from wiki)

anyways would like to read more on this if anyone has any reference to published papers on this.

BEIJING, Feb. 22 (Xinhua) -- China's Xinhua News Agency on Tuesday launched a new global network dedicated to the secure and efficient transmission of financial information based on quantum communication technology.

The network, jointly developed by Xinhua and the Anhui-based University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), was inaugurated at the Beijing-based Financial Information Exchange, a financial service platform owned by Xinhua.

Quantum communication is a new type of communication based on the quantum properties of particles such as photons. It has become a new research field in quantum physics and information theory studies in recent years.

Experts say conventional technology, such as wireless networking, faces more difficulties in guaranteeing information security in the future.

Core financial information requires extremely high security during transmission, storage, and processing. Therefore, the application of secure and efficient quantum communication will prove of strategic importance and enormous economic value.

Xinhua and the USTC have been researching possible applications for quantum communication in financial information security since the first half of 2011, a statement from the Financial Information Exchange said.

As of the end of November 2011, the two sides successfully built the world's first network based on quantum communication technology for application in the financial information industry, the statement said.

It said that the network is capable of supporting confidential audio-visual communication, real-time text transfers and the rapid transmission of data files.

The network's data transfer bandwidth can reach several hundreds of megabits, meeting requirements for most forms of encrypted communication, according to the statement.

The launch of the network has proved the practicality of quantum communication technology, the statement said, adding that the network is also significant for the demonstration, marketing and exploration of quantum communication standards, the statement said.

The Xinhua Financial Information Exchange, launched in late 2010, is an information-sharing platform supporting the financial and cultural sectors.

Xinhua taps quantum communication for financial information security - Xinhua | English.news.cn

I am not too familiar with it either, but it does make the network safer, and its signal can travel faster than the speed of light, so it is suitable for the communication of the space travelling. :coffee:
Well I know the theory, but seeing that implemented in a metro scale is shocking to me. I would love to see some technical details of this. Do pass it along when you find them.

That just doesn't sound right....Faster-than-light communication is, by Einstein's theory of relativity, equivalent to time travel. (from wiki)
Theoretically it is possible as we are talking about communication and not about travel. Assume you have two sub-atomic particles say quarks that are paired. This pair is guaranteed to have a opposite spin no matter where they are. So if you are are able to separate this pair and send them to two corners of the globe, you controlling one half of the quark can influence the spin on the other half. Basically you have a means to communicate at a rate faster than that of light.
Ofcourse what I wrote is a dumbed down version so if you nit pick, I'll ignore.
It however would be a fantastic achievement if done. I'll wait for technical details before being convinced myself. Till then its just another metro network :coffee:

BEIJING, Feb. 22 (Xinhua) -- China's Xinhua News Agency on Tuesday launched a new global network dedicated to the secure and efficient transmission of financial information based on quantum communication technology.

Quantum communication is a new type of communication based on the quantum properties of particles such as photons. It has become a new research field in quantum physics and information theory studies in recent years.
Photons == light. If it is indeed photons, then is it the existing optical networking? BTW Quantum Optics is the study of lasers.

Experts say conventional technology, such as wireless networking, faces more difficulties in guaranteeing information security in the future.

Core financial information requires extremely high security during transmission, storage, and processing. Therefore, the application of secure and efficient quantum communication will prove of strategic importance and enormous economic value.

Xinhua and the USTC have been researching possible applications for quantum communication in financial information security since the first half of 2011, a statement from the Financial Information Exchange said.

The network's data transfer bandwidth can reach several hundreds of megabits, meeting requirements for most forms of encrypted communication, according to the statement.

Xinhua taps quantum communication for financial information security - Xinhua | English.news.cn
If it is the "faster than light" communication, then the bandwidth must be beyond Peta bytes. As far as security is concerned, cryptography addresses it quite well.
Is there no technical white paper or something for this? I'm sure it would answer my queries better than news clips.

Theoretically it is possible as we are talking about communication and not about travel. Assume you have two sub-atomic particles say quarks that are paired. This pair is guaranteed to have a opposite spin no matter where they are. So if you are are able to separate this pair and send them to two corners of the globe, you controlling one half of the quark can influence the spin on the other half. Basically you have a means to communicate at a rate faster than that of light.
Ofcourse what I wrote is a dumbed down version so if you nit pick, I'll ignore.
It however would be a fantastic achievement if done. I'll wait for technical details before being convinced myself. Till then its just another metro network :coffee:
Yes, you are right. But I doubt they have actually realized it. The leader of this project did some breakthrough research when he was in Germany. But those were in lab level.
I think this is possibly a different thing using this fancy name. You know, for funding....

Yes, you are right. But I doubt they have actually realized it. The leader of this project did some breakthrough research when he was in Germany. But those were in lab level.
I think this is possibly a different thing using this fancy name. You know, for funding....

The funding has been provided, and the article clearly points out that it has already been built for the network facility of the metro, not the lab project.

The funding has been provided, and the article clearly points out that it has already been built for the network facility of the metro, not the lab project.
I hope you do understand what Indiatester said. It is hard to explain without a lot of quantum mechanics illustration. Anyway currently its communication speed is sub luminal and no theoretical breakthrough yet. Hefei version here still uses light fiber and is different from what Indiatester said The best communication exp was given by a group of researchers in Tokyo university last year. I remember it was published by science. China has successfully done an exp in the space which was published in Nature.

Photons == light. If it is indeed photons, then is it the existing optical networking? BTW Quantum Optics is the study of lasers.

If it is the "faster than light" communication, then the bandwidth must be beyond Peta bytes. As far as security is concerned, cryptography addresses it quite well.
Is there no technical white paper or something for this? I'm sure it would answer my queries better than news clips.

I don't think its classical information transfer speed is faster than light but it still holds huge advantages over conventional communication in terms of bandwidth.
If u r interested, check a 1993 PRL paper by C.H. Bennett.

next..
2012-2015
2015ques.jpg

Back
Top Bottom