What's new

China's defense budget to grow 7.5% in 2010: Spokesman

Communist

Reaction score

China's defense budget to grow 7.5% in 2010: spokesman

English.news.cn 2010-03-04 12:03:10

The news conference on the Third Session of the 11th National People's Congress (NPC) is held at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, capital of China, March 4, 2010. (Xinhua/Xing Guangli)

BEIJING, March 4 (Xinhua) -- China plans to increase its defense budget by 7.5 percent in 2010, a major slowdown compared to last year's growth of14.9 percent, a parliament spokesman said here on Thursday.

The planned defense budget is 532.115 billion yuan (about 78 billion U.S. dollars), a rise of about 37 billion yuan from last year's defense expenditure, Li Zhaoxing, spokesman for the annual session of the National People's Congress (NPC), told a press conference.

It is the first time for China's defense budget growth rate to drop to less than 10 percent in recent years, after a row of consecutive double-digit increase.

However, Li stressed that the figures would not be final until the budget plan is approved at the NPC annual session due to open in Beijing on Friday.

Taking into account China's large population, its vast territory, and its long coastline, the former Foreign Minister said the country's defense budget is "comparatively low."

China has always taken the road of peaceful development and keep in line with the defensive national defense policy, he said.

He said China's defense expenditure in recent years accounted for about 1.4 percent of its GDP, whereas the ratio was four percent for the United States, and more than two percent for the United Kingdom, France and Russia.

China's defense budget to grow 7.5% in 2010: spokesman

Last edited:
I am really disappointed, frustrated, upset and dismayed. How can China fund the research and development of its defense equipments? What does the CCP want? Does it want to lose more lands so that aggressors will snatch the rest of China's lands away and the Chinese will be left with only one square km land to live in? How will PLA protect the territorial integrity with the age old inferior weapons? This is a betrayal, treachery to the nation... God save China...

Last edited:
China's GDP grew by ~8.7% in 2009, so 7.5% increase in defense budget is nothing out of line. We are not going to a war with anyone, there's nothing wrong with this budget.

Of course the real budget is probably a bit higher than this, for example China just doesn't know where this j-xx rumor comes from :D. Every country keeps some cards close to their chests, nothing new.

Last Year China's defense budget was 78 billion dollars that's what said, on paper in reality it's budget could have exceeded 100 billion dollars. The U.S defense budget is 708 billion dollars that's more than every other countries defense budget combined. But that's just on paper like I said before, I'm not surprised if our budget went over the Trillion dollar mark. That being said this is just a ploy to have Western nations to be at ease, because they don't want China having a rapidly growing defense budget, being a threat to counter their influence in such regions where they both have mutual gains..

Isn't the US spending something like 1.3bln a day on its overseas war? You guys are burning some serious cash :partay: There's no other country in the world can afford that bill for sure! :D

China's defense budget does not include research and new equipment purchase.

I hope so,but in fact the budget includes all the new equipment purchase and most research purchase

I am really disappointed, frustrated, upset and dismayed. How can China fund the research and development of its defense equipments? What does the CCP want? Does it want to lose more lands so that aggressors will snatch the rest of China's lands away and the Chinese will be left with only one square km land to live in? How will PLA protect the territorial integrity with the age old inferior weapons? This is a betrayal, treachery to the nation... God save China...
Dont worry...Everything have its own time. And i read a 7.5% Grow. I can see it as a good sign. I dont see china going in any war this year. 37 Billion more is a good sign. I hope you've heard slow and steady wins the race.

China's defense budget does not include research and new equipment purchase.

Yes, the budget opened is just a part of the actual number,China gov feel the pressure from the west this time and reduce the grow rate.....:azn:

India's defense allocation for 2010-2011 is also up another 8.13 percent in 2010-2011 on top of the massive 34% increase in 2009-2010, according to media reports.

India's defense expenditure has been raised to Rs.147,344 crore (Rs.1.47 trillion/$32 billion) for 2010-11, up 8.13 percent from the revised estimates of the previous fiscal, in the budget presented by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the Lok Sabha.

According to the Wall Street Journal, India is one of the largest buyers of foreign-made munitions, with a long shopping list which includes warships, fighter jets, tanks and other weapons. Its defense budget is $30 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31, a 70% increase from five years ago. The country is preparing its military to deal with multiple potential threats, including conflict with China and Pakistan.

"For 2010 and 2011, India could well be the most important market in the world for defense contractors looking to make foreign military sales," according to Tom Captain, the vice chairman of Deloitte LLP's aerospace and defense practice.

Haq's Musings: India to Borrow and Spend More in 2010 Budget

Last Year China's defense budget was 78 billion dollars that's what said, on paper in reality it's budget could have exceeded 100 billion dollars. The U.S defense budget is 708 billion dollars that's more than every other countries defense budget combined. But that's just on paper like I said before, I'm not surprised if our budget went over the Trillion dollar mark. That being said this is just a ploy to have Western nations to be at ease, because they don't want China having a rapidly growing defense budget, being a threat to counter their influence in such regions where they both have mutual gains..

The true U.S budget is well over a trillion because of extra war fund, some weapon purchases (excluded from budgets), and secret research programs (disguised as civilian projects). China's defense budget is much smaller.

this is too little.

the world will be going to war soon. the current status of the world is just like before WW1. fragmented with 1 super power and several rising, major powers.

but because of technological advances WW3 will be much more bloody tahn WW1.

I agree the world resembles the world after the WW1 ended , there was economy down term , depression and job losses etc ....population was so high that no nation new what to do ?

Resources were scarce ...

We trust in China:china::pakistan:

yes, just like britain began to go down after WW1, so too will another english speaking power in the western hemisphere start to decline.

no names here of course.

:china:

The planned defense budget is 532.115 billion yuan (about 78 billion U.S. dollars), a rise of about 37 billion yuan from last year's defense expenditure,
Defense spending would account for 6.4 percent of the country's total fiscal expenditure(8446billion RMB/1242billion $) in 2010, the same with last year,and 1.4% of the country's GDP

Back
Top Bottom