What's new

China's Defense Budget 2017

Considering how we spend close to 1% of the GDP advancing renewable energy annually, only spending approximately 1.3% of the GDP on the military each year is very little indeed.

SIPRI has published their report on 2016 world military spending. On China, SIPRI "estimate" is $215 billion, which is more than 50% higher than official data (RMB 954.354 billion, ~$140 billion).

Let's stick to official data, China's military expenditure is only 23% of US, or about twice of Russia, it's a very modest level compared to size of economy.

20170424_Military_Expenditure.jpg

I don't understand, why they (China) have to raise their military budget to 2% or more of their GDP? If with this number of military budget can already fulfill the needs of PLA, PLAAF, and PLAN current capability and development, then why do they need to raise more? I'm sure that the cost will be raise some day, with China has more J-20, Type 055 and aircraft carriers. But not now. Because even with everything that they have today, the budget still sufficient to pay everything that PLA, PLAAF, and PLAN have.

To raise them without planning / something to spend with will only give the benefit to the corrupt officials.

SIPRI has published their report on 2016 world military spending. On China, SIPRI "estimate" is $215 billion, which is more than 50% higher than official data (RMB 954.354 billion, ~$140 billion).

Let's stick to official data, China's military expenditure is only 23% of US, or about twice of Russia, it's a very modest level compared to size of economy.

View attachment 392954

I'm interested about the equivalent effectiveness of US/China military spending from research, operation cost, salary and military marching procurement: it cost less from China in all aspect and we have sufficient funding for research and procurement of new weapon without Jeopardized Chinese economy.

I believe China can catch up US if we continue to have this ratio of 3/1 (611 billions compare to 215 billions) within 20 to 30 year span, China military force will close to match US in most of aspects and have a descent conventional parity...this is not bragging, I could be wrong.

I'm interested about the equivalent effectiveness of US/China military spending from research, operation cost, salary and military marching procurement: it cost less from China in all aspect and we have sufficient funding for research and procurement of new weapon without Jeopardized Chinese economy.

I believe China can catch up US if we continue to have this ratio of 3/1 (611 billions compare to 215 billions) within 20 to 30 year span, China military force will close to match US in most of aspects and have a descent conventional parity...this is not bragging, I could be wrong.
Let's stick to official data, China:US spending ratio is 1:4 (in nominal dollar), or perhaps even less, given US has a lot of other military-related spending say NSA, CIA black ops and such. Is it too little? In my opinion:
  1. Not sure about how efficient is China expenditure, or that of US and others, it's quite complicated. Though I believe say GCC expenditure is less efficient due to shallow domestic supply chain. In that sense China expenditure should be quite efficient, given the fact that China has deep domestic supply chain if not the deepest in the whole world (due to COCOM, Wassenaar Arrangement, China's military industrial complex is almost an autarky running in parallel with rest-of-the-world), providing its own alloys, advanced materials, semiconductors to machine tools. Imports are limited to assembled systems from strategic partners/allies, for R&D and combat training purposes.
  2. The 1:4 ratio is in nominal value, aka exchange rate quoted at forex "market", since China expenditure is almost entirely domestic, purchasing power may need to be adjusted.
  3. I agree with you that economy, or fiscal discipline to be more exact, cannot be jeopardized. Due to international reserve status of dollar, US government has "unlimited" public debt ceiling (US public debt, US net external liabilities are both largest in the world, and both mounting at breath-taking speed), China doesn't. China should control spending at 1.2-1.3% of GDP to prevent financial risks from accumulating, which can perhaps wipe out a nation more thoroughly than nukes.

This may be some roughly illustration of how our defense budget has been providing for our arm force
*Take note the numbers of our land force got "ONE more zero" by mistake, it should be "1,600,000" instead
aRPe4ws.jpg

Back
Top Bottom