What's new

China World Trade Center Tower : Beijing tallest skyscraper

ah, nice. :tup: i never know Tianjin is such a beautiful city even though my hometown is just next to it. i had been Tianjin once for mahua etc fingering food :-)

50972_220229.jpg

Mahua mentioned aboved should be pronounced like this "muhor",that sounds mimic to real local dialect.
30de3ab5.jpg

I think the most famous food of Tianjin for Chinese people is Goubuli -the steamed buns with stuffing .
Goubuli means dog ignored,really interesting.

Wuhan is an industrial city, which some people don't like but I have gotten to appreciate. My district in 武昌 (near 南湖) is residential (except for Wuhan Shipbuilding which is a 15 minute bus ride away), however, there are huge tracts of factories in 光谷 and 青山 near Wuhan Steel. What represents Wuhan best other than historical sites such as 黄鹤楼 are our flagship corporations, Wuhan Steel (15th largest in the world) and Wuhan Shipbuilding, and the commercial districts in Hankou.

Wuhan Steel:

17_200905211311281tlMk.jpg

xin_14120304090827678684.jpg

Wuhan Shipbuilding:

48ac6909f02c479dd3581b63.jpeg

Hankou:

6b59c5006046c5224afb51a5.jpg

GuangGu, China's "Optics Valley":

00005.jpg

ee55cde90b89bde5d439c905.jpg

Wuhan High Speed Railway:

2009929235611313.jpg

156951FD14641A1A68B2CC88F722EF75.jpg

As China's manufacturing both moves inland and towards high tech, Wuhan's traditional manufacturing strengths in optics, transportation, materials and defense are built upon with 21st century technology.

I'll keep my contrarian approach and showcase three of the most controversial buildings in Beijing:

The Oriental Plaza
6IOqf3185J1mPDl.jpg

Put aside the word 'oriental' which for some reason some Chinese are very fond of nowadays, this building (or group of buildings) are dull, derivative and monotonous. And it stands right on one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in Beijing between Wangfujing and Dongdan.

It was built by Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing during the last years of the reign of Beijing mayor Chen Xitong, who was later tried and jailed for corruption in a scandal (involving the death of a deputy-mayor) that shocked the nation. The project was controversial for its complete disregard for building guidelines, and although Chen Xitong is long gone now this building still stands near the Chang'an Avenue.

The National Center for Performing Arts
JYSU_2K7_MoonFestival_Nation_sDay_xx2_Nationa_+Grand_Theater.jpg

Better known as 'the Egg' in Beijing, the plan for this building was unveiled during the last years of Jiang Zemin's deeply unpopular presidency. This futuristic nonsense is located right in the heart of Beijing near Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. It created an absolute uproar but legions of activists were unable to stop it from being built. After all, it was President Jiang's last pet project, his 'footstep' on Beijing landscape.

The CCTV Headquarters
35hpp41.jpg

Just when one thought there's no way someone could come up with a more crude assault on Beijing skyline than Jiang Zemin did, CCTV outdid the former president by announcing the plan for its new headquarters. Not surprisingly the outrageous design and outrageous cost immediately promoted a national outrage and CCTV was forced to suspend the plan. But as the publicity faded away CCTV restarted the construction, and now the most ridiculed building in China (nicknamed 'The Big Boxer Shorts') is home to its most ridiculed media outlet.

never thought about how ugly beijing's more "creative" buildings looked...

i prefer the functional rectangles of wuhan =)

I personally find Tianjin looking somehow out of place. The city has lots of historical buildings but they don't seem to have chinese characteristics. Also they seem to combine building style from different countries. I'm not sure why but the brightly coloured buildings reminded me of doll houses. The buildings kinda looks too prestine to be old buildings.

Just my impressions from the photos.

I personally find Tianjin looking somehow out of place. The city has lots of historical buildings but they don't seem to have chinese characteristics. Also they seem to combine building style from different countries. I'm not sure why but the brightly coloured buildings reminded me of doll houses. The buildings kinda looks too prestine to be old buildings.

Just my impressions from the photos.

You got it,most of them just look like old buildings from outside.
But the main structures of these buildings are really old and also western styled.

Some old ones from inside to outside with no transform:
6_4804_ee2d1b8aea14e39.jpg

0127B8920C2536FBFF80808127B5D924.jpg

11bc1de6a3bg214.jpg

11bc1e27cbfg214.jpg

0127B892082A36F9FF80808127B5D924.jpg

Last edited:
What is the point of having such tall buildings?Tall buildings are actually a western concept and everyone is busy copying it.

What is the point of having such tall buildings?Tall buildings are actually a western concept and everyone is busy copying it.

Even i thought the same before.
But when your city's population is growing and you don't want to expand horizontally(problems like clearing forest etc) then we have to go vertical.

For ex:In Mumbai as the population explodes we can't expand into the sea,hence going vertical is the only option.

There are many other advantages too.

@Tractor

Tianjin's buildings seem very Victorian.

Excuse my stereotype, but I was expecting some Laughing Buddhas and cool oriental-looking Pagodas :)

Even i thought the same before.
But when your city's population is growing and you don't want to expand horizontally(problems like clearing forest etc) then we have to go vertical.

For ex:In Mumbai as the population explodes we can't expand into the sea,hence going vertical is the only option.

There are many other advantages too.

Well said, just like Hongkong, an island with a land mass of 1,042 sq km , going vertical is the only way out to accommondate 7 million people.
I love watching the harbour view from a high point like the peak or some tall buildings, especially at night.:smitten:

@Tractor

Tianjin's buildings seem very Victorian.

Excuse my stereotype, but I was expecting some Laughing Buddhas and cool oriental-looking Pagodas :)

It's my favor to show more but I don't like the ancient style a little.
2154409471744730590.jpg

127f3105159g215.jpg

127f311cf02g213.jpg

127f31090beg215.jpg

Last edited:
wow china has awsome buildings... i never knew that, anyway they look awsome.

Back
Top Bottom