What's new

China to upgrade radar of Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter aircraft

170km for 5m2 target, not overall search range.
That is the total range (search range) according the Chinese manufacturer.. it is quite good.. remember this one is designed for light and medium fighters, bugger ones are obviously more powerful and hence have more range..

That is the total range (search range) according the Chinese manufacturer.. it is quite good.. remember this one is designed for light and medium fighters, bugger ones are obviously more powerful and hence have more range..
According to our Chinese-style, maybe it is relatively conservative.

According to our Chinese-style, maybe it is relatively conservative.
That is possible, but it is meant for export, so the Chinese have nothing to gain by boosting or diminishing the range in their announcements..

That is possible, but it is meant for export, so the Chinese have nothing to gain by boosting or diminishing the range in their announcements..
What about KLJ-7?

What about KLJ-7?
KLJ-7v2 range is around 110 km for a target of 3 sq m. and much longer for detecting surface ships, like all other mechanical radars.. BTW.. KLJ-7v1 range was about 70-75 km for the same size target..

KLJ-7v2 range is around 110 km for a target of 3 sq m. and much longer for detecting surface ships, like all other mechanical radars.. BTW.. KLJ-7v1 range was about 70-75 km for the same size target..
I saw an interview of KLJ-7's chief designer, and he said he was too young to be trusted by Pakistan's counterpart.

Open source states that Americans are quite shocked at just how advanced latest Chinese ECM gear is. Rumour has it that during the F7PG exercises with the F22, the PG's systems picked up the AN/APG-77 just fine.
[/QUOTE]

If this is true then it's great news as all new LPI radars will be picked up.

LOAL is just a software change. Blocks arent standard either- certain Block-Is carry Block-II features too although I cannot state which airframes will have what capabilities.

What I can state now(since its old info) is that the ALR-56M which is a fairly advanced RWR on the block-52/AM is unable to pickup the KJL on the Thunder even when the non-AESA system is tracking it; some wizardry is on the NRIET product.

You are spilling too many beans. That's clearly sensitive info and not available on the internet.

Open source states that Americans are quite shocked at just how advanced latest Chinese ECM gear is. Rumour has it that during the F7PG exercises with the F22, the PG's systems picked up the AN/APG-77 just fine.
[/QUOTE]

That's because kj8602a is an improvement on Israeli high performance SPS1000 and another variant.
https://books.google.com.pk/books?i...Y8KHSUaApQQ6AEwAXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

This radar is Chinese version of USA sabr aesa designed to upgrade older aircraft like block 52 f16 and b1 pesa
And this klj7a Has combination of mechanical steering of pesa and and yes trm of aesa kind of like captor m of euro fighter but not that powerful
But this radar is designed to fit multiple light jet design so all jf17 can be fitted of it

Block 3 is electronic upgrade of block 2 airframes
Claiming that block 3 is derivative of jf17b is doubtful

This radar is Chinese version of USA sabr aesa designed to upgrade older aircraft like block 52 f16 and b1 pesa
And this klj7a Has combination of mechanical steering of pesa and and yes trm of aesa kind of like captor m of euro fighter but not that powerful
But this radar is designed to fit multiple light jet design so all jf17 can be fitted of it

Block 3 is electronic upgrade of block 2 airframes
Claiming that block 3 is derivative of jf17b is doubtful
Its fixed AESA bro and all previous generation pulse dopler radars were mechanical steered radar and btw tell me which one is mechanically steered PEASA @khanmubashir

...on PDF I've heard things ranging from not enough power, not enough room, nose cone not big enough etc. Don't know how true these things are

Power consumption is dependent on the size of radar, quality and it's functionality.
Surely more performance means more energy requirement.
With AESA more data is available to process, may result in fractional increase of power consumption. on the other hand electronic scanning should be more efficient than mechanically scanned radar.
For a given given range /performance, AESA should be more energy efficient comparing to mechanically scanned radar.
In practicality modern AESA does much more complex tasks than simple scanning, this may be the reason they are looked upon as more energy demanding.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom