What's new

China 'to overtake US on science' in two years

Dr. Cao is an idiot and a traitor. I'm not saying this for his words here, but because I have actually read 3 of his articles. His articles lack quantitative evidence and if were in chemistry or materials engineering would be laughed at. His "analyses" are easily refuted.

The whole notation of "citation rate" as a measure for quality is just as big of a joke as a Nobel Prize, which more measures popularity in the West, not really quality. Real quality is measured more accurately by patents.

Anybody wants to refute this glaring misconception? Especially can any Chinese member really refute this or is everyone sailing the same boat, inspite of knowing how awfully misguided this is. For once I would like to see our Chinese brothers clear misconceptions spread by some lesser knowledgeable Chinese members.

Anybody wants to refute this glaring misconception? Especially can any Chinese member really refute this or is everyone sailing the same boat, inspite of knowing how awfully misguided this is. For once I would like to see our Chinese brothers clear misconceptions spread by some lesser knowledgeable Chinese members.

Times Higher Education - Average citation rates by field 1998-2008

What a joke! You can pump up citation ratings by publishing more in biology, clinical medicine and biochemistry, while a country can be great in materials science, engineering and physics and still be dragged down. The citation ratings disproportionately reward pre-2000, biochemistry papers, while severely suppressing post 2000 materials science, physics and math papers.

The US pumps out more worthless garbage in medicine, biology, biochemistry, psychology and neurology than anyone. Engineering and materials science on the other hand? Haha.

The idea of China overtaking U.S. in science in two years time is sheer nonsense. China is a 6 trillion dollar economy spending less than 1.5% of GDP on R&D and the U.S. is a 15 trillion dollar economy spending close to 3% of GDP on R&D, that is, the U.S is outspending China 5:1. It will take more than a decade for China to catch up.

Don't get me wrong, China is making incredible progress in becoming a scientific power and if you consider we started with almost nothing after the Cultural Revolution, the revival of scientific research in China is nothing short of a miracle.

The idea of China overtaking U.S. in science in two years time is sheer nonsense. China is a 6 trillion dollar economy spending less than 1.5% of GDP on R&D and the U.S. is a 15 trillion dollar economy spending close to 3% of GDP on R&D, that is, the U.S is outspending China 5:1. It will take more than a decade for China to catch up.

Don't get me wrong, China is making incredible progress in becoming a scientific power and if you consider we started with almost nothing after the Cultural Revolution, the revival of scientific research in China is nothing short of a miracle.

Just take the words as compliments and let the ideas of it inspire us. No need to get worked up by a "sheer nonsense" article. We will all find out if the prophesy is true or not in due course.

what science china has of it's own..?

they are even coping the indian auto-riksha..
last time I checked your 35 dollar laptop was a Chinese Hivision speed pad, which is a Chinese brand and is being sold in China for 99 dollars. You govt bought them in bulk, subsidized them and claimed to have made the world's cheapest laptop.

india-35-tablet-hivision-speedpad.jpg

To Indian members, you may be gleeful now about china 'copy' this and that. But just remember that one day your country will go through similar process, and by then china would have passed that stage and moved on.

Maybe by then you will know how it feels like.

regards.

Our scientists and engineers are also making 1/3 if not less than the money that their US counterparts make. The cost of research is lower especially considering that instrumentation is a fixed cost while labor goes up, and many can share an instrument but you need actual researchers to do work.

In addition, instrumentation and expendable reagents is CRUCIAL in biological subjects, but it is less of a factor in engineering. This excludes developing countries from much biological research, while it is easier to catch up in engineering. 1 year of monoclonal antibodies (that may produce nothing of value) plus the associated fluorescence microscope costs the same as an AFM. The AFM can characterize a new alloy or ceramic that revolutionizes your country's industry. The 1 year of monoclonal antibodies can maybe start work on a new drug.

Some research like that I'm interested in (chemical processing of semiconductor thin layers) needs 2 things: AFM, and a PVD chamber. All bought for less than 800000 RMB. Reagents another 10000. You can't even get started with 800000 RMB in a biological lab.

Times Higher Education - Average citation rates by field 1998-2008

What a joke! You can pump up citation ratings by publishing more in biology, clinical medicine and biochemistry, while a country can be great in materials science, engineering and physics and still be dragged down. The citation ratings disproportionately reward pre-2000, biochemistry papers, while severely suppressing post 2000 materials science, physics and math papers.

The US pumps out more worthless garbage in medicine, biology, biochemistry, psychology and neurology than anyone. Engineering and materials science on the other hand? Haha.
You Chinese boys have been busted on being ignoramuses on the topics of science and engineering...

http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...s-way-local-supercomputers-2.html#post1561393

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...s-telling-mideast-protests-3.html#post1524030

So yes...The :lol: :lol: should be on YOU...

If you want to talk about 'worthless' science and engineering in the medical field...

Micro Computer Device Implanted in the Eyes for Tracking Progress of Glaucoma
Scientists at the University of Michigan have developed a pressure monitor device which can be implanted in an individual's eye ball to track the progress of glaucoma. They claim that it is the world's smallest computer system which is just 1 sq mm in size. This device has been developed by Professors Dennis Sylvester, David Blaauw and David Wentzloff. It is yet to be named.

The device contains an ultra low-power microprocessor, a pressure sensor, memory and a thin film battery. It also consists of a solar cell and a wireless radio with an antenna which can transmit data to an external reader device. This radio does not require tuning to find the right frequency and so it can link to wireless network of computers. To charge the battery, the device requires 10 hours of exposure to indoor light or 1.5 hours of sunlight. Information can be stored in the device up to a week. The device takes measurements every 15minutes and consumes an average of 5.3 nanowatts energy.

Splashing money doesnt guarantee success, its how efficient you are with the money that is being spent on R&D and for that reason I believe your message doesnt tell the full story.

No need to reply to trolls from india, they are from a backward country we dont gain anything by engaging them, congrats to china go china go

Back
Top Bottom