What's new

China Taiwan Province (ROC): News, Discussions & Images

'One small step' across Taiwan Straits
CCTV.com

The Chinese mainland has sent its first ever Taiwan affairs chief to Taiwan for a four-day visit.

2014062609002733153.jpg

Zhang Zhijun (L), director of the Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council, meets with Taiwan's mainland affairs chief Wang Yu-chi in Taipei, southeast China's Taiwan, June 25, 2014. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)

Small steps for these two, a big step for the two sides across the straits.

"It took me less than three hours to fly to Taiwan. But we spent 65 years to make this meeting happen," Zhang Zhijun, director of State Council Taiwan Affairs Office, said.

"I visited the Mainland this February as head of Mainland Affairs Council. Four months after that, we have the chief of State Council Taiwan Affairs Office visiting Taiwan. It’s of huge significance," Wang Yu-Chi, head of Mainland Affairs Council, said.

The two chiefs say differences and challenges exist in cross-straits relations, but agreed that both sides need to work together to address the problems.

"Both of us have great responsibilities. We need to work harder. We need to carefully maintain the status quo and pursue a peaceful development, to benefit people on both sides," Zhang said.

During his visit, Zhang Zhijun will visit New Taipei City, Taichung and Kaohsiung. The South of the island is the traditional stronghold of the Green Camp, which is considered less close with the mainland. The southern regions have also benefited less from the trade pact with the mainland. Zhang will devote three out of four days to speak with a wide group of people from Taiwan.

"I hope that Director Zhang will hear the voices of Taiwan people, understand their ways of life and gain a better understanding of Taiwan," Wang said.

The visit comes after students protests in March, which called for stopping ratification of a two-way service trade liberalization pact. The issue is expected to be further discussed.

The two sides signed 21 deals last year, with bilateral trade at 124 billion US dollars and Taiwan registering about three million mainland tourists.

Over 2,600 mainland students admitted to Taiwan universities

China.org.cn

More than 2,600 students from the Chinese mainland were admitted to Taiwan universities this year, a new high since a drive to enroll mainland students was launched four years ago, authorities said Tuesday.

A total of 4,512 mainland students applied for undergraduate programs this year, an increase of 66 percent year on year. Among them, 1,804 were admitted, according to the education department of Taiwan.

Another 849 will pursue master's and doctoral degrees, the department said.

Ming Chuan University, Tamkang University and Chinese Culture University were among those recruiting the most students. Business, foreign languages and design topped the most popular majors, statistics showed.

Taiwan universities opened their doors to mainland students in 2011, enrolling 975 that year.

Taiwan authorities have eased measures to recruit mainland students, including recognizing mainland universities and colleges, increasing the number of mainland students and streamlining registration procedures.

The sharp increase in recruitment this year is attributed to the opening of public-funded universities to mainland students, said Chein Tai, director of Taiwan's University Entrance Committee for Mainland Chinese Students.

A total of 48 public universities have joined a program to absorb mainland students this year, attracting a large number of applications, although each university may recruit five at most, he said.

But 14 of a total of 133 universities and colleges failed to enroll any mainland students, partly due to lack of promotion and relatively low education quality, according to media reports.

i read that the admission rate is over 90%, which means those debazi schools are a dump that will take any trash, which further means that very few of the admitted chinese students would actually want to go.

so the number is just another self congratulatory move by the debazi themselves

Over 2,600 mainland students admitted to Taiwan universities

China.org.cn

More than 2,600 students from the Chinese mainland were admitted to Taiwan universities this year, a new high since a drive to enroll mainland students was launched four years ago, authorities said Tuesday.

A total of 4,512 mainland students applied for undergraduate programs this year, an increase of 66 percent year on year. Among them, 1,804 were admitted, according to the education department of Taiwan.

Another 849 will pursue master's and doctoral degrees, the department said.

Ming Chuan University, Tamkang University and Chinese Culture University were among those recruiting the most students. Business, foreign languages and design topped the most popular majors, statistics showed.

Taiwan universities opened their doors to mainland students in 2011, enrolling 975 that year.

Taiwan authorities have eased measures to recruit mainland students, including recognizing mainland universities and colleges, increasing the number of mainland students and streamlining registration procedures.

The sharp increase in recruitment this year is attributed to the opening of public-funded universities to mainland students, said Chein Tai, director of Taiwan's University Entrance Committee for Mainland Chinese Students.

A total of 48 public universities have joined a program to absorb mainland students this year, attracting a large number of applications, although each university may recruit five at most, he said.

But 14 of a total of 133 universities and colleges failed to enroll any mainland students, partly due to lack of promotion and relatively low education quality, according to media reports.

I see this a great opportunity for mainlanders to not only learn from accredited schools in Taiwan, but be exposed to the possibility of working abroad in the West.

I see this a great opportunity for mainlanders to not only learn from accredited schools in Taiwan, but be exposed to the possibility of working abroad in the West.

But Mainland Chinese do not really go study in Taiwan to later have a chance to work abroad later. In fact very few of TW universities are internationalized.

Besides, I am not sure a written or unwritten rule, certain higher degrees are sort of a no-go to Mainland Chinese students in TW -- such as political science.

Also, most Chinese students in Taiwan are exchange students and they are barred from scholarships. They have to pay tuition in full to get admission.

Western students, on the other hand, even those not so bright souls, live off luxurious Taiwan Scholarship with zero accountability and performance criteria.

More than often, they use up their scholarship in TW with little academic success/progress for two years, and then they go back to where they came from.

TW's international education system does have built-in discrimination against the students from the motherland, that is.

But Mainland Chinese do not really go study in Taiwan to later have a chance to work abroad later. In fact very few of TW universities are internationalized.

Besides, I am not sure a written or unwritten rule, certain higher degrees are sort of a no-go to Mainland Chinese students in TW -- such as political science.

Also, most Chinese students in Taiwan are exchange students and they are barred from scholarships. They have to pay tuition in full to get admission.

Western students, on the other hand, even those not so bright souls, live off luxurious Taiwan Scholarship with zero accountability and performance criteria.

More than often, they use up their scholarship in TW with little academic success/progress for two years, and then they go back to where they came from.

TW's international education system does have built-in discrimination against the students from the motherland, that is.

That's odd, because I have students taking my Introduction to Business Design course and 4 of them are foreign exchange students from Taipei. I guess, if what you say has any semblance in truth to it, select schools in Taiwan are barred from this so called exclusion.

@Kolaps .

It's actually DPP who forcing the policy to limit mainland students as much as possible. While KMT want closer, even all out relationship with mainland.

Everyone know what superpower behind the DPP, they actually want a total isolation from the mainland.

But we all are Chinese btw, although there's a worry for an all out with the mainland. It's still a communist, if you are forget.

But anyway, there's a lot of Taiwan students in mainland universities too. And also many Taiwan graduates work in mainland. You know what mainland today.

It's actually DPP who forcing the policy to limit mainland students as much as possible. While KMT want closer, even all out relationship with mainland.

Everyone know what superpower behind the DPP, they actually want a total isolation from the mainland.

But we all are Chinese btw, although there's a worry for an all out with the mainland. It's still a communist, if you are forget.

But then you are being hated in PDF by PRC, just like I am.

But then you are being hated in PDF by PRC, just like I am.

China-Taiwan situation and relationship are very complicated.

First of all, Taiwan can't return to mainland, as simple as just like that. That is why PRC supporters here dislike me because of that.

If Taiwan finally return to mainland, some people are thinking it's the end of the story, but it's not. Just look at HK. It's already returned to mainland, but the story is not yet end.

This is a great way for the two Countries to promote friendship and brotherhood and eventually reunite........

China-Taiwan situation and relationship are very complicated.

First of all, Taiwan can't return to mainland, as simple as just like that. That is why PRC supporters here dislike me because of that.

If Taiwan finally return to mainland, some people are thinking it's the end of the story, but it's not. Just look at HK. It's already returned to mainland, but the story is not yet end.

BTW, are you Guashin ka shi Bunshin lang? (汝系外省ga系本省人?)

^
Why you ask? Just look the flag. :-)

No personal detail.

But I just want to say, pro-mainland in Taiwan are mostly those new comers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom