What's new

China Surpasses Japan as Asia's Top High-Tech Exporter, ADB Says

It's new normal that China rise and Japan down in every fields.Nihonjin should adapt it.
不过也许等下他就要发扶桑送几条船或几架飞机给安南或吕宋的消息补点血了,抱团取暖嘛,这个冬天有点冷~:enjoy:

Well, also don't forget the HSR to India, it may keep him happy for a while.

Well, also don't forget the HSR to India, it may keep him happy for a while.
@Nihonjin1051 probably is drinking down alot of sake these recent days.

dsc06550.jpg

That Nihonjin guy gets on my nerves.

His posts would have been appropriate 30 years ago. Japan was powerful back then and its decisions were important in Asia.

Today, Japan is in the intensive ward. I think it's like four recessions in five years.

Nihonjin's flood of posts to create the impression that Japan is an economic or military giant is completely inappropriate.

Japan is rapidly fading from the scene.

US: $18 trillion GDP
China: $11-12 trillion (depending on SNA 1993 or SNA 2008)
Japan: under $5 trillion

In a world with two giants, Japan is a relative pipsqueak. Furthermore, Japan is heavily in debt with a falling credit rating. On top of that, Japan is running persistent trade deficits. Finally, Japan's Yen is depreciating at a rapid rate (from 75 to 125 Yens per US dollar in the last three years).

Game over for Japan.

First of all I have no favor in Japan when it comes to geopolitics, in fact I am quite annoyed by it, but I will comment from pure business angle. News like "China surpasses Japan" is not big deal, it's only a surprise if otherwise! China is a continental sized economy, it's natural to be far larger than an archipalego-sized Japan in macroscopic indicators.

On more comparable base, Japan lost to SK in several major heavy industries, electronics (see that ADB chart, SK already overtakes in HT exports), and lost to Taiwan in semiconductor (TSMC currently controls 60% of the worldwide foundry market and has an annual net profit of around $10 billion). SK, Taiwan, are the real existential problem for them.

Japan onshore (domestic) business may have taken hit from rise of SK, Taiwan, however note that Japan still has massive offshore credits (assets, including HT manufacturing), largest in the world even more than China, that's something too big to miss. Japanese are rich, own their public debt, earnings from global credit offset trade deficits, Japan financially is fine for the time being.

Japan might be doing fine now, however in the long run, Japan will continue to face stiff competition from SK and Taiwan in HT exports. My advice is Japanese HT corps should integrate closer with Mainland in order to maintain their competitiveness, like what SK and Taiwan have done. For Japan, continental-sized China is not a competitor, not a rival, it is a hope.

Last edited:
First of all I have no favor in Japan when it comes to geopolitics, actually quite annoyed by it, but I will comment from pure business angle. News like "China surpasses Japan" is not big deal, it's only a surprise if otherwise! China is a continental sized economy, it's natural to be far larger than an archipalego-sized Japan in macroscopic indicators.

On more comparable base, Japan lost to SK in several major heavy industries, electronics (see that ADB chart, SK already overtakes in HT exports), and lost to Taiwan in semiconductor (TSMC currently controls 60% of the worldwide foundry market and has an annual net profit of around $10 billion). SK, Taiwan, are the real existential problem for them.

Japan onshore (domestic) business may have taken hit from rise of SK, Taiwan, however note that Japan still has massive offshore credits (assets, including HT manufacturing), largest in the world even more than China, that's something too big to miss. Japanese are rich, own their public debt, earnings from global credit offset trade deficits, Japan financially is fine for the time being.

Japan might be doing fine now, however in the long run, Japan will continue to face stiff competition from SK and Taiwan in HT exports. My advice is Japanese HT corps should integrate closer with Mainland in order to maintain their competitiveness, like what SK and Taiwan have done. For Japan, continental-sized China is not a competitor, not a rival, it is a hope.
With idiot like Abe who still think we are at imperial Japan era, Japan will still think they are at top of the game.

Abe must be removed and a more realistic politician shall come up.

With idiot like Abe who still think we are at imperial Japan era, Japan will still think they are at top of the game.

Abe must be removed and a more realistic politician shall come up.

Just as in marketing, good product with wrong positioning still invites failure.

Same in diplomacy, geopolitics, positioning is key.

Last edited:
What is even more terrifying is that all nations except India saw decline in their high - tech exports. Well, India is not particularly interesting as it starts from abysmal position. It is quite interesting to see that Indonesia is near bottom. On second thought, not surprising since if you look at Nature Global Index, Indonesia is near bottom. Check Nature's website. Indonesia had 0.44 in CC and 5 articles... It is even behind Vietman.

What is even more terrifying is that all nations except India saw decline in their high - tech exports. Well, India is not particularly interesting as it starts from abysmal position. It is quite interesting to see that Indonesia is near bottom. On second thought, not surprising since if you look at Nature Global Index, Indonesia is near bottom. Check Nature's website. Indonesia had 0.44 in CC and 5 articles... It is even behind Vietman.

Actually if measured in money value SK has grown a lot, Singapore (not in the chart) too, Thailand moderate growth, Malaysia flat, but yes everyone drop in share % since the pie is dominated by a single entrant.

High-technology exports (current US$) | Data | Table

Last edited:
Good call. I dug up the Nature Global Index for 2014.

Top 100 countries : Nature Index tables : Nature : Nature Publishing Group

uRGwRD5.jpg

Yep. If measured in USD, the amount of export goes up for those nations. However, if we look at those figures in terms of USD, I think you should factor in inflation in USD. After all, that report is comparing figures from 2000 to 2014, and it would be comparing apple to orange without factoring dollar inflation. Also, that figures are somewhat misleading.

Notice that those values are EXPORT. Look at South Korea and USA. Their dollar values of export are almost the same, but it would be seriously misleading to think that South Korea is at the same level of USA. USA is more or less self sufficient economy, but South Korea is export oriented economy.

Back
Top Bottom