What's new

China struggles to tame illegal foreign laborers

huskie

Reaction score
NANNING, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Braving the windchill by a highway in Baise City of south China's Guangxi, 18-year-old Vietnamese Lau Mi Lenh and his family desperately tried to hitch a lift to their dreamland of neighboring Guangdong Province.

Hailing from a village in the Vietnamese province of Nghe An, Lau and his eight relatives had sneaked into China by themselves, hoping to find a job in Guangdong, as he had heard that the bustling coastal province could guarantee a handsome income for people like them.

It wasn't to be, and the illegal immigrant told Xinhua his tale from a Chinese jail cell.

He is among booming numbers of people without valid entry and employment paperwork, particularly from southeast Asia, that are flooding into the country's eastern seaboard, a part of China that is increasingly looking to the black market to fill gaps in affordable labor.

The issue is once again in the spotlight after two groups of Vietnamese stowaways, a total of eight people, were detained by local police in Baise on Friday.

Regional border control police of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region intercepted 4,500 illegal foreign laborers in 2012, and though the number dipped to a little over 3,500 in 2013, police say there are "definitely ones that are at large."

The illegal laborers, taking advantage of the many trails that snake through the China-Vietnam border area, stick their necks out to bypass the checkpoints in Guangxi to reach the eastern paradise of their dreams.

Mi Lenh said that his family moved heaven and earth to get to Baise, eventually enduring an anxious 24-hour ride in a minivan to get there.

"I was prepared to labor in jobs planting eucalyptus or sugarcane even in the countryside of Guangdong," he explained.

ILLEGAL CHAIN

China's black market of foreign labor is booming on the back of a shift in the country's own labor forces from east to west, driving human traffickers, or "traders" as they are dubbed, to transport cheap labor from abroad into the eastern areas like Guangdong, Fujian and Zhejiang.

Ah Xiang, a trader detained by police in Guangxi, said that they usually lure poverty-stricken foreigners willing to work in China with blandishments about the working opportunities, then charge "registration fees" before transporting them into Chinese factories.

"We would negotiate with the factory owners in advance to remove any possible stumbling blocks, and then the procedures would go smoothly," she said.

According to Ah Xiang, foreign laborers are becoming increasingly popular in factories in the east, as domestic workers are thin on the ground, while foreigners tend to be cheaper, more "well-behaved" and "quiet."

But the opportunities to make more money in China are often outweighed by terrible working and living conditions, Ah Xiang added, pointing out that it is hard to guarantee the rights of the illegal workers.

Experts attribute the phenomenon to a wide range of factors, including rising labor costs in China as well as loose supervision.

One of the underlying reasons for the rampant black market in foreign labor is that China's coastal cities have come under pressure from a severe shortfall in labor resources, according to Yu Yimao, captain of Baise's border control police.

In February, a survey by the Guangzhou Human Resource Market Service Center showed a shortfall of 123,300 workers in Guangzhou, capital city of Guangdong. A similar warning was issued later by the Fujian provincial government, cautioning that the province needs 80,000 laborers to fill the gap.

Meanwhile, the cost of domestic labor is on the rise.

Construction worker Li Deqin said that the daily salary for people like him used to be about 80 yuan (13 U.S. dollars), but now they command at least 180 yuan.

That is a huge contrast to many foreign workers like Mi Lenh, who barely makes 50 yuan each day in Vietnam.

"I heard that even stowaways can make more than 100 yuan a day in China," the young Vietnamese said.

While his dreams have now become castles in the air, many others are still falling for the bait, and authorities have called for a taming of the black market with a spate of proposed legal measures.

Xu Ningning, deputy secretary-general of the China-ASEAN Business Council, said that China needs to ramp up supervision to tackle the problem, for that is in the interest of both foreign workers and domestic factories.

"I think that the government could work with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to figure out a mechanism to ease the labor pressure and guarantee the rights of workers," Xu said.

He suggested that the problem could be solved by qualifying and legalizing more foreign laborers to work in China under government supervision.

Xinhua Insight: China struggles to tame illegal foreign laborers - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Like Armchair said, always natural for people to want to go to a better place. But if done illegally and if caught, they will face the full extent of the law. This should be applied everywhere around the world to curb illegal immigrants.

The Chinese had been doing that (human trafficking to HK) in the earlier years of the Communist rule.
The richest man in HK, Li kashing (hint Li, not Lee) who swam to HK hanging onto an inflated tyre.

The Chinese had been doing that (human trafficking to HK) in the earlier years of the Communist rule.
The richest man in HK, Li kashing (hint Li, not Lee) who swam to HK hanging onto an inflated tyre.

That is different, since it is immigration within the same country (China).

We already have the largest internal immigration in the world, with millions of people moving from the rural areas into the cities every year.

We don't need foreigners from other countries on top of that! China has an obligation to Chinese citizens, no one else.

That is different, since it is immigration within the same country (China).

We already have the largest internal immigration in the world, with millions of people moving from the rural areas into the cities every year.

We don't need foreigners from other countries on top of that! China has an obligation to Chinese citizens, no one else.

HK was NOT China's territory then. You certainly know that, you live in HK.
People will go where the food (jobs) are. The best the Chinese government can do is to round them up and ship them back where they came from, just like the HK (Brit) government had done to the mainlanders then.

HK was NOT China's territory then. You certainly know that, you live in HK.

Hong Kong was ALWAYS China's territory. That is the official position of the Chinese Government.

That's why I automatically got Chinese citizenship after the Handover, since I was born in Hong Kong, to Hong Kong parents. To the Government I was born on Chinese territory, and that is the truth.

The Western colonization was illegal, the Government doesn't recognize it, I don't recognize it.

HK Island was British, regardless of what Chinese government thought. HK was under British rule, the HK people were British subject based on international law.. People who were born in HK were issued Brit passports, not Chinese. Whether you recognise it or not.
If you want to be hardheaded, be my guest.

Hong Kong was ALWAYS China's territory. That is the official position of the Chinese Government.

That's why I automatically got Chinese citizenship after the Handover, since I was born in Hong Kong, to Hong Kong parents. To the Government I was born on Chinese territory, and that is the truth.

The Western colonization was illegal, the Government doesn't recognize it, I don't recognize it.
HK Island was British, regardless of what Chinese government thought. HK was under British rule, the HK people were British subject based on international law.. People who were born in HK were issued Brit passports, not Chinese. Whether you recognise it or not.

It was always Chinese territory.

The "British Administration" was an illegal act of Western colonization, added to the war crime of the Opium Wars.

People who were born in HK were issued Brit passports, not Chinese.

Pure BS.

You think all 7 million Hong Kongers were given British passports and British citizenship?

No, Britain refused to do that.

We are Chinese citizens because we were born on Chinese territory to Chinese parents. The Chinese government believes this, the Hong Kong government believes this, Hell even the British government believes this, which is why they never gave Hong Kongers British citizenship.

And which is why even Britain itself agreed to handover HK back to China.

It was always Chinese territory.

The "British Administration" was an illegal act of Western colonization, added to the war crime of the Opium Wars.

Pure BS.

You think all 7 million Hong Kongers were given British passports and British citizenship?

No, Britain refused to do that.

We are Chinese citizens because we were born on Chinese territory to Chinese parents. The Chinese government believes this, the Hong Kong government believes this, Hell even the British government believes this, which is why they never gave Hong Kongers British citizenship.

And which is why even Britain itself agreed to handover HK back to China.
People who came from other countries without the proof of citizenship and were living in HK were issued CI (certificate of identification) and these people were considered HK residents, not HK citizens. Those who were born in HK and had valid birth certificates were qualified to apply for British passports.

HSBC and The Chartered Bank issued HK currency with the Queen's head on it, not Mao's. The Brits were the de facto ruler of HK.

Those are the facts. You chose to live a different reality, is your choice. You can't argue with facts.

END OF.

apparently you cannot differentiate "lease" from "ownership".

Exactly right. :cheers:

People who came from other countries without the proof of citizenship and were living in HK were issued CI (certificate of identification) and these people were considered HK residents, not HK citizens. Those who were born in HK and had valid birth certificates were qualified to apply for British passports.

HSBC and The Chartered Bank issued HK currency with the Queen's head on it, not Mao's. The Brits were the de facto ruler of HK.

Those are the facts. You chose to live a different reality, is your choice. You can't argue with facts.

END OF.

You are the one being delusional, trying to tell a Hong Konger like me about my own city. :lol:

The British Administration happened, yes. I should know, I was born in the late 80's.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was still Chinese territory. Regardless of who administered it, same as Taiwan and same as Diaoyutai. These are all Chinese territory.

That is the truth, and that is the law, and that is why my passport says "People's Republic of China" on the first line. Because the place where I was born is and was Chinese territory.

North Kowloon peninsular and The New Territories were LEASED from China. HK Island and South Kowloon Peninsular were OWNED by the British.

Know your history and facts.

Exactly right. :cheers:

You are the one being delusional, trying to tell a Hong Konger like me about my own city. :lol:

The British Administration happened, yes. I should know, I was born in the late 80's.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was still Chinese territory. Regardless of who administered it, same as Taiwan and same as Diaoyutai. These are all Chinese territory.

That is the truth, and that is the law, and that is why my passport says "People's Republic of China" on the first line. Because the place where I was born is and was Chinese territory.

If you were born in the 80's, you are still a yellow hair little kid. When I was born, your parents were still too young to copulate.

North Kowloon peninsular and The New Territories were LEASED from China. HK Island and South Kowloon Peninsular were OWNED by the British.

Know your history and facts.

so the vast majority of the land was leased(therefore HK was not owned by UK), and the 'ownership' of the rest of the land was revoked in the 80s and eventually given up by UK, so what's all the fuss about? stop living in a cave FFS

it is as stupid as to say India is owned by the British

Back
Top Bottom