China says mulling Seychelles naval hosting offer

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China says mulling Seychelles naval hosting offer
Submitted 1 hr 4 mins ago

China said Tuesday it is considering an offer from the Seychelles to host Chinese naval ships in the Indian Ocean island nation, highlighting the increasing global reach of a navy that recently launched its first aircraft carrier. State-run media gave prominent coverage to the Seychelles offer to allow rest and resupply for Chinese ships in the multinational force conducting anti-piracy patrols off the coast of Somalia, which China has joined since late 2008. But the reports were careful to reaffirm China's firm policy of not establishing permanent military bases overseas, a cornerstone of Beijing's claim not to be seeking regional hegemony or military alliances with other nations. "China's position is clear. China has never set up military bases in other countries," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told reporters at a daily news briefing
http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/International/13-Dec-2011/China-says-mulling-Seychelles-naval-hosting-offer

MQ-9 Reaper crashes on African island

By Jill Laster - Staff writer air force times
Posted : Tuesday Dec 13, 2011 10:45:27 EST

An Air Force UAV crashed Tuesday morning at an African island airport, the service has announced.

The MQ-9 Reaper crashed at about 10:30 a.m. at an international airport in the Seychelles, north of Madagascar. The Reaper was unarmed and no injuries were reported, the Air Force said in a news release.

U.S. Air Forces in Europe spokesman Tech. Sgt. Markus Maier declined comment on what the Reaper was doing in Seychelles, citing national security reasons. He said only that there “are multiple aircraft of various types” stationed with U.S. Forces Africa and that those aircraft support a range of regional security missions.

The cause of the incident is under investigation, and the airport runway has reopened for normal traffic.

This will have serious implications for India. I hope the political class in India take serious note on this

I thought China said No already to that offer.

Kind of contradicts. Say no to the offer not go considering of it.

Kind of contradicts. Say no to the offer not go considering of it.
In Han Dynasty tradition, a host has to invite the guest into his house three times before the guest will accept the invitation.

1st invite: guest will decline
2nd invite: guest will also decline
3rd invite: guest goes in

Strange isn't it? :D

Isn't there already an American base on the Seychelles? It looks like the two sides won't have to go far to bomb each other.

In Han Dynasty tradition, a host has to invite the guest into his house three times before the guest will accept the invitation.

Serious? Is the Seychelles government aware of this tradition?

It looks like the US is up to no good flying combat UAVs over Seychelles. This must be the reason why Seychelles is requesting a PLA base.

"China's position is clear. China has never set up military bases in other countries," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told reporters at a daily news briefing
It looks like foreign ministry is trying to make China weak and passive again by rejecting overseas military bases. Surely PLA must be very eager to go in. When Xi Jinping becomes party chairman in 2012 I hope the whole foreign ministry gets demoted. They are doing their best to sabotage China's rise by projecting an image of weakness.

It looks like the US is up to no good flying combat UAVs over Seychelles. This must be the reason why Seychelles is requesting a PLA base.

It looks like foreign ministry is trying to make China weak and passive again by rejecting overseas military bases. Surely PLA must be very eager to go in. When Xi Jinping becomes party chairman in 2012 I hope the whole foreign ministry gets demoted. They are doing their best to sabotage China's rise by projecting an image of weakness.

We will never make foreign military bases.

There may be vacation resorts though, which are military themed and coincidentally have many active soldiers there on 2 month vacations.

That's interesting a family member has invited me three times first and second time I didn't go. Recently they invited me again making it the third time so I am seriously planning to go this time.

Back
Top Bottom