Country
Pakistan
ASIA PACIFIC

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2008

Jane's Defence Weekly

China rolls out naval variant of Z-9 helo armed with new anti-ship missile

Robert Hewson Jane's Air-Launched Weapons Editor - London

Key Points
A recent image of the prototype Z-9D appears to show it armed with a Hongdu TL-10 missile

With the Z-9D prototype carrying full PLA markings it appears that the TL-10 is intended for Chinese service

A new armed naval variant of China's Z-9 helicopter has been rolled out, fitted with a new anti-ship missile.

Developed from Harbin's Z-9C shipboard helicopter, already in service with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, the latest aircraft is designated Z-9D. An image taken recently at the Harbin Aircraft Industry Group facility in the northeastern city of Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, shows what appears to be the prototype Z-9D armed with a Hongdu radar-guided TL-10B (KJ-10B) missile. This is the first time that an anti-ship missile has been seen on a Chinese naval helicopter. The image also confirms that the air-launched TL-10 programme is moving forward to deployment.

The TL-10 missile family first appeared in public as a ship-launched weapon (JJ-10) in 2004. In 2006, its manufacturer, the Hongdu Aviation Industry Group, showed the air-launched version (KJ-10). The TL-10 series is a modern, lightweight anti-ship missile system with a 30 kg armour-piercing warhead. It is a rocket-powered, relatively high speed (M0.85) weapon with a maximum range of about 18 km when air launched.

Perhaps the most significant aspect of the TL-10 programme is that it has been developed in co-operation with Iran. The Iranian Aerospace Industries Organisation claims to have produced a weapon that is identical to the TL-10, which it calls Kosar. For its part, Hongdu notes that the TL-10 is an export product that has already been delivered to an overseas customer. Initial deliveries - to Iran - covered shipboard missiles only. The emergence of the Z-9D/TL-10 combination indicates that a new phase in the programme has begun.

As well as the radar-guided TL-10B, a version with an electro-optical seeker (TL-10A) is also available. In the past, Hongdu has exhibited mock-ups of the TL-10A fitted to its L-15 trainer and light attack aircraft. The air-launched KJ-10 was conceived from the outset as a helicopter weapon and the Z-9 is an ideal platform. Weighing 105 kg per round, up to four KJ-10Bs could be carried by a Z-9D, although the standard load is likely to be two missiles.

The basic maritime Z-9C helicopter has a sea search radar in its nose. It is not known if this equipment has been upgraded or changed completely to better support the KJ-10's targeting requirements on the Z-9D.

With the Z-9D prototype carrying full PLA markings it appears that the TL-10 is intended for Chinese service, but both helicopter and missile should equally be available for export.

In Iran, HESA (the Iran Aircraft Manufacturing Industrial Company) has drawn up concepts for an armed, up-engined Shahed 478 helicopter that could carry a missile in the TL-10/Kosar class. However, as this remains a speculative design for the moment it is possible that Iran might become a Z-9D customer also. Iran has already shown some acumen in adopting Chinese missile systems for its own helicopters, equipping Mil Mi-17s with the C-802KD anti-ship missile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2008 Jane's Information Group

Jane's Login

Will Pakistan use this missile for the Z9s it acquired for the F22 Frigates?

I think it should depend on the cost. If its cheaper to acquire navalized Eurocopter Dauphin/Panthers from France directly (equipped with western avionics) it might be a better deal.

I think it should depend on the cost. If its cheaper to acquire navalized Eurocopter Dauphin/Panthers from France directly (equipped with western avionics) it might be a better deal.

The challenge is not always the cost. Reliable supply of spares is an issue that all countries face when dealing with the West. I do not think Pakistan wants to be in that situation with regards to the F-22s and their integrated aviation assets.

The challenge is not always the cost. Reliable supply of spares is an issue that all countries face when dealing with the West. I do not think Pakistan wants to be in that situation with regards to the F-22s and their integrated aviation assets.
I thought France has always been really good on that front. Have there been any problems with parts procurements (not fund related) in keeping the Mirage III and Vs airworthy? Also, I was under the impression that critical French avionics are being sought for the JF-17.

I thought France has always been really good on that front. Have there been any problems with parts procurements (not fund related) in keeping the Mirage III and Vs airworthy? Also, I was under the impression that critical French avionics are being sought for the JF-17.

French have been fair weather friends. Pakistan has supported the Mirage fleet from various alternate sources.

JF-17 may indeed have an avionics package from France however in times of sanctions, we do have an alternate avionics package from China. Also in the future, Pakistan may entirely move away from the western platforms (by this I mean aircraft and helicopters as non-availability of spares is no longer an option).

While its ok for Pakistan to acquire hardware selectively from the West, if the Chinese hardware is found comparable enough to its western alternate, Pakistan would definitely go with the Chinese option. So Pakistan will maintain a mix until a point comes when the Chinese can offer products that are very competitive with their western alternates and then wean itself off this dependence on the West. Not saying this is happening in the next few years, but the sanctions-free supply has an advantage all its own.

PN's first option would be the Harpoons if integration is possible.

French have been fair weather friends. Pakistan has supported the Mirage fleet from various alternate sources.

JF-17 may indeed have an avionics package from France however in times of sanctions, we do have an alternate avionics package from China. Also in the future, Pakistan may entirely move away from the western platforms (by this I mean aircraft and helicopters as non-availability of spares is no longer an option).

While its ok for Pakistan to acquire hardware selectively from the West, if the Chinese hardware is found comparable enough to its western alternate, Pakistan would definitely go with the Chinese option. So Pakistan will maintain a mix until a point comes when the Chinese can offer products that are very competitive with their western alternates and then wean itself off this dependence on the West. Not saying this is happening in the next few years, but the sanctions-free supply has an advantage all its own.

Also with chinese tech we have our sweeeeeeeeeeeeey TOT:pakistan:

Is it possible that instead of going for all the Z-9c, we might change our order into a few of these new birds the Z-9D which is armed with this new missile torpedo. Certainly will enhance our ASW capabilities. Also can anyone paste any pic of it. I was not able to find it on Sinodefence.

b35a8abd0995af53d3e2122b3b34d764.jpg

z-9-d-25_66_850f84536687c28.jpg (image)

z-9-D-25_66_c1d14e7f9577220.jpg (image)

This is what i found over the internet some photos of the new TL-10A. If posted earlier please ignore.

WebMaster: I am not able to post the pictures directly from the site. The insert image button requires the address, when i paste the result and press ok the link is shown but as soon as i press save changes button then nothing. Can you help me over it.

Last edited:

I think i remember that the French held back the ROSE upgraded Mirages during the time we were active in Kargil.
Rgeards
Araz

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom