What's new

China, Pakistan to go ahead with trade corridor

Kiss_of_the_Dragon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Beijing, Feb 18: Brushing aside India's concerns about proposed Economic Corridor through Pakistan-administered Kashmir, China and Pakistan held a meeting to finalise the multi-billion dollar project as President Mamnoon Hussain arrived here today on an official visit.

The second meeting of the Joint Cooperation Committee of the Economic Corridor coincided with the Pakistani President's first foreign trip since he assumed office last year.

During his four-day visit, Hussain will hold talks with top Chinese leaders like President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang.

"It is an item on the agenda," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing while answering a question on India's concerns about the 2,000-km China-Pakistan Economic Corridor planned to be constructed through the disputed Kashmir region.

"On India's concerns, I understand it is about the Kashmir issue. China’s position on this issue is clear cut. The Kashmir issue is a legacy issue from history," she said.

"We hope the two sides (India and Pakistan) will follow the spirit of peace, appropriately deal with (the issue through) dialogue and consultation." Hua said: "May be you have known, the vision of the economic corridor is a very important agreement between the two leaders."

The corridor "will benefit hundreds of millions of people" and "enjoys huge potential for development", she said, defending China's decision to go ahead with the project.

The corridor will link China's volatile Muslim Uygur- majority Xinjiang province, which has witnessed a spate of terror attacks in recent times, with Pakistan's Gwadar port to provide road access to the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean.

"It also likely to become a new highlight of bilateral cooperation. It not only benefits our two countries but also enhances connectivity between South Asia and East Asia," Hua said. The project will set a good example for regional cooperation, she added. During his visit, Hussain will hold talks with President Xi Jinping.

He will also meet Premier Li Keqiang and other leaders before leaving for Shanghai. The two sides are expected to sign a number of agreements.

China Pakistan to go ahead with trade corridor through PaK Lastupdate:- Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com

Pak-China-130822-156685-640x480.jpg

America's look east, China's look west :lol: The future of Middle east, Central Asia, Pakistan and China will be bright, a new silk road and new economical realm is about to be born.

How serious is China about the Economic Corridor?

I believe this corridor is important to develop our western region, we already have connection to central Asia by land, but Gwadar is only sea port that China could eventually use to access some middle east countries and Africa i mean from our western region. I'm not mind reader of our leaders but I think China is serious about this economic corridor when take into consideration of possible blockade scenario on Strait of Malacca and the benefit to have a pipeline from Iran to China using this corridor.

How serious is China about the Economic Corridor?

Very serious, why do I say that? The location of Pakistan.

As you very well know Chinese coastal, and the areas immediately behind those areas, are getting seriously developed, in another 4-5 years, if not a little sooner, those areas will have a per capita of 20,000, matching Taiwan, and close to Korea. That's a population of about the whole of America, if not larger.

However, you probably also know this, the Western Chinese provinces are very poor. They are still very much in the development phase. China is signing deals with central Asia, Russia, India for specifically this reason. That energy will flow into the west and connect Western China to the rest of Asia and Europe.

Pakistan is a key player in this for several reasons.

1) We are on good terms, we are more likely to talk terms that may not be possible for China with other nations at this point.

2) Pakistan is very populated, that population is young, and it is increasing. This could potentially be a part of the solution for the aging Chinese population.

3) Pakistan is still very poor, yet huge population, the potential for growth is very high, that is a market and workforce that any would want to be a part of.

4) Pakistan could act as the gateway into the middle east, being a Muslim nation, Pakistan can be very helpful in establishing better relationships in the region.

5) Have you seen the map? Pakistan is literally in the middle of everything, gate into the middle east, port to Africa, down into India, and road into China. This makes Pakistan a very important player in the ever competitive game of international trade.

Now the question is does Pakistan want to be rich and act on the very many number of things that it has going for it.

An excellent opportunity for Pakistan to pull their economy to next heigher level. Pakistan can inrease their export and foreign reserve which will inevitablyead to increase defence budget and better hardware for the military.

China was still very poor when they started the special economic zone in the fishing village now known as Shenzhen City. And everything snow-balled to today's China as wrold No2 economic power, a similar feat can be achieved if Pakistan worked whole heartedly with certain reforms like investment policies, taxation, support facilities like power supply, roadways, industry related management and skill trainings etc.

Last edited:
See? Whatever China does, its all our fault. We are threatening surrounding countries by forces, and also we give too damn little help to our friends, so it's all our fault. LMAO.....:rofl:

China please keep on working hard and don't give a **** about whatever others say.

Last edited:
Very serious, why do I say that? The location of Pakistan.

As you very well know Chinese coastal, and the areas immediately behind those areas, are getting seriously developed, in another 4-5 years, if not a little sooner, those areas will have a per capita of 20,000, matching Taiwan, and close to Korea. That's a population of about the whole of America, if not larger.

However, you probably also know this, the Western Chinese provinces are very poor. They are still very much in the development phase. China is signing deals with central Asia, Russia, India for specifically this reason. That energy will flow into the west and connect Western China to the rest of Asia and Europe.

Pakistan is a key player in this for several reasons.

1) We are on good terms, we are more likely to talk terms that may not be possible for China with other nations at this point.

2) Pakistan is very populated, that population is young, and it is increasing. This could potentially be a part of the solution for the aging Chinese population.

3) Pakistan is still very poor, yet huge population, the potential for growth is very high, that is a market and workforce that any would want to be a part of.

4) Pakistan could act as the gateway into the middle east, being a Muslim nation, Pakistan can be very helpful in establishing better relationships in the region.

5) Have you seen the map? Pakistan is literally in the middle of everything, gate into the middle east, port to Africa, down into India, and road into China. This makes Pakistan a very important player in the ever competitive game of international trade.

Now the question is does Pakistan want to be rich and act on the very many number of things that it has going for it.

I disagree with #2. China's demographics will be balanced by the next gen as they already scrapped the one child policy.

The economic corridor will boost the economy of any cities along the connection and not just the prosperity of Kashgar or People live near the Gwadar port. This is long term investment, don't expect to get the immediate benificial result...I will be happy if we get any tangible results in 4 to 5 years.

chinamoss1_072713123837.jpg

You'd better send me some Dumplings to celebrate this ! :azn:

And I'll send you some Rasgulas ! :D

You got it buddy. :D

beijing-dumpling-hipster-sheung-wan-review.jpg

As for the topic, do you think that Chinese will spend billions of dollars and NOT be serious about something?

If it's billions of dollars you can bet we'll be serious about it. :azn:

I'll wait till China officially announces it because we, Pakistanis have been dreaming about this Economic Corridor for at least a decade so far.

The feasibility reports have not even been completed as of yet and they won't be for another couple of years. Moreover, the previous 2 Pakistani Governments also made much noise about this and nothing happened. On the other side however, China has become the second largest economy in the world without having to go through Pakistan even a little bit.

Can't see why China would want to spend so much on Pakistan when they can reach the better developed Iran and their ports through Afghanistan probably much more quickly and easily.

Last edited:
I'll wait till China officially announces it because we, Pakistanis have been dreaming about this Economic Corridor for at least a decade for now.

The feasibility reports have not even been completed as of yet and they won't be for another couple of years. Moreover, the previous 2 Pakistani Governments also made much noise about this and nothing happened. On the other side however, China has become the second largest economy in the world without having to go through Pakistan even a little bit.

Can't see why China would want to spend so much on Pakistan when they can reach the better developed Iran and their ports through Afghanistan probably much more quickly and easily.

It's America pulling the strings with some of the more corrupt Pakistani politicians.

Same way they shut down the Iran-Pakistan pipeline, even though Iran had already completed construction on their own side.

The China-Afghanistan border is not really an effective option for our important trade to pass through. Plus, who knows who will be ruling Afghanistan in a year or two.

Gwadar makes the most sense.

When it comes to spending a huge amount of money like this, you can bet we are dead serious about it.

And it's not just the money, it's the geostrategic importance as well.

This economic corridor and the eventual extension through Iran and Middle east will be very important, this will destabilize American's equation in this region: everything there will be reorganized and rebalanced not to American's term when the region prosperity is not longer dependant of U.S, As I said before US look east to make trouble for China, we look west to reset U.S's game plan back to square one.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom