What's new

China opens monument to Korean independence hero who assassinated Japanese official

Nan Yang

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
China opens monument to Korean independence hero who assassinated Japanese official

China opens monument to Korean independence hero who assassinated Japanese official - The Japan Daily Press

A Chinese memorial to a South Korean national hero was unveiled at the Harbin railway station on Monday. The memorial was in honor of Ahn Jung-geon, an anti-Japanese freedom fighter who killed Hirobumi Ito, Japan’s first Prime Minister, in 1909. Ito was the one who signed the Eulsa Treaty, formalizing the annexation of the Korean Peninsula to Japan.

Woah! Is there such a memorial in either of the two Koreas?

I just did some hopping and found out that both Koreas honor him.

Woah! Is there such a memorial in either of the two Koreas?

I just did some hopping and found out that both Koreas honor him.

Chinese also.
The assassination of Ito by An was praised by Koreans and many Chinese as well, who were struggling against Japanese invasion at the time. Well-known Chinese political leaders such as Yuan Shikai (袁世凱), Sun Yat-sen (孫逸仙; 孫文), and Liang Qichao (梁啟超) wrote poems acclaiming An.

Although he is a Korean, but the hero did a good thing in China !

BTW in China GuiLin, KunMing and ChongQing city, we also have American "Flying Tiger" museums.
13ccb3d9daf012b7a1b1a1c6364712c2.jpg

74c83c8a-ef34-4873-af82-0ea1e8a03f48.jpg

W020050905588725493836.jpg

Img351516042.jpg

2012112616453725894.jpg

Last edited:
BBC:Japan protest over Korean assassin Ahn Jung-geun memorial in China

_72388192_72388189.jpg

Ahn is celebrated as a hero in Korea but viewed as a criminal in Japan

Japan has criticised a memorial built in China to commemorate a Korean independence activist who assassinated a prominent Japanese statesman in 1909.
Ahn Jung-geun shot dead Hirobumi Ito, four-time prime minister of Japan and the first resident governor of then Japanese-run Korea.
A Japanese government spokesman branded him a "terrorist" after the Chinese-Korean memorial hall opened in China's Harbin city, where Ito was shot.
He is celebrated as a hero in Korea.
"The co-ordinated move by China and South Korea based on a one-sided view [of history] is not conducive to building peace and stability," Yoshihide Suga told reporters.
But China said that Ahn was a "famous anti-Japanese high-minded person" and South Korea's foreign ministry said Ahn was a "widely respected figure", describing the assassination as a "courageous act", the AFP news agency reports.
Yasukuni controversy
All parties in the row have tried to adopt the mantle of diplomacy.
South Korea's foreign ministry said it hoped the museum would "set the path for genuine peace and co-operation based on correct historical awareness".
Mr Suga, on the other hand, said the "extremely regrettable" monument was "not contributing to building peace and cooperative relations in this region".
The Ahn memorial is just the latest act to lay bare the acrimonious legacy of Japan's occupations of China and the Korean peninsula, which took place in the first half of last century and resonate to this day.
He was hanged for killing Ito but decades later he was awarded a prestigious civil decoration in South Korea for his efforts for Korean independence and there are many memorials to him there.
The row comes after Shinzo Abe was condemned by China and South Korea for visiting the Yasukuni shrine that honours Japan's war dead, including some convicted war criminals.
Mr Abe insisted that he visited the shrine in a personal capacity and also to pledge that "never again will people suffer in war".
Nevertheless alarm has been growing in recent months over deteriorating relations between China, Japan and South Korea, who are also embroiled in a number of disputes over territory in the East China Sea.

BBC News - Japan protest over Korean assassin Ahn Jung-geun memorial in China

Chinese opens monument of Budhism in favor to their own interest.
70425-3474-1390289050.jpg

They said that their dishes are so delicious that The Buddha would follow Archimedes to go out without clothes for their dishes.

I think Buddhist will find it insulting. I believe even in India, people will not like such depiction.

The assasination of Ito Hirobumi was a great thing. He was the greatest rock infront our goal to modernize Korea in a economic way. He was to nice to the Koreans. You can´t make progress with being nice. After his removal we were able to create a more economic system there. I have no problem with that memorial. Koreans praise the man who murdered the one who made their life lazy and easy. After this murder we were able to teach Koreans discipline, education system and order. It is just natural in my opinion that Korea praise an event that allowed Japan to civilize Korea.

Too bad we were not able to teach China in the same extent. We partly pushed discipline and working ethics into them. But not as much as Korea. You see the result today. You have many productive workers in china but also many lazy ones. Lack in quality, corruption and so on. I think it´s time for some tutoring again.

As for the stature...its made from concrete...poor quality. Why not metal or real stone? Lack of quality...

I have to disagree. Korea was absolutly underdeveloped. Thats a fact. I can respect koreans without seeing them as equal. I respect my little 3 year old cousen but i know he is not equal in the things that i can do.

Japan had to develop Korea, build up a society. It was our duty to do so. And i believe we suceeded. Korea was chaos. If you teach someone you need fear. The reign of fear is also the reign of order. Order can only be achieved through fear. That is what i believe in.

show me where we slaughtered korean babies. Just one single incident. And where we slaughtered thousands of Koreans. You sure have specific examples for such accusations.

I find it laughable that Chinese and Koreans cry about "brutal occupation". They allowed it to happen. It is their own fault. Now they celebrate their own weakness like a religion.

They died because our own mistakes. We had our own nuclear weapon program. It even started before USA and made progress but was slowed down since many here were too conservative. Japan was lead into WW II from old men. Old politicians, old generals. I have highest respect for elderly people. But you don´t win wars with them. They think often too conservative. Japan has a long tradition to bring men of my young age into high office as generals. Oda Nobunaga was famous for this. If the nuclear program would not have been slowed down by Tojo, we would have had the bomb ready by 1941 - 42. I would not have declared war to the USA. I would propably even search a friendly relationship towards them. That gives acess to coordinated 4 strikes.

1. nuclear attacks on cities on the west coast and Hawaii
2. conventional invasion of Panama and the Panama channel
3. nuclear attacks on cities of the east coast
4. strategic nuclear strikes against targets like Hoover dam or Chicago (via the great lakes)

Unfortuately we did not follow such unconventional ways but mostly 19th century tactics. That way we wasted too much of our potential. We can only blame ourself for that and not our enemies. We should learn from that and not repeat past mistakes.

http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=153854

It is well known that Japanese right wings and militarists also hated the West. Japan was in fact much admired by Chinese revolutionists and many Chinese revolutionists studied in Japan.

But Japan did not play its cards well. The militarists took over Japan and the rest is history. In any case, in the end it turned out well for China. After Japan lost the war, they lost Korea, Manchuria, the Southern seas and even Taiwan (Which was ceded to Japan way back in 1895...long before 1937). These are territories 3 times the size of present day Japan.

So the 14 war criminals were just a bunch of losers being worshiped by another bunch of losers.

I also do not really mind if Abe worship Yasukuni. It just gives China an excuse to remind Japan to learn from history.

It is well known that Japanese right wings and militarists also hated the West. Japan was in fact much admired by Chinese revolutionists and many Chinese revolutionists studied in Japan.

But Japan did not play its cards well. The militarists took over Japan and the rest is history. In any case, in the end it turned out well for China. After Japan lost the war, they lost Korea, Manchuria, the Southern seas and even Taiwan (Which was ceded to Japan way back in 1895...long before 1937). These are territories 3 times the size of present day Japan.

So the 14 war criminals were just a bunch of losers being worshiped by another bunch of losers.

I also do not really mind if Abe worship Yasukuni. It just gives China an excuse to remind Japan to learn from history.

This affair just shows that Japan has never made a real break of its fascist past, it's practically the continuation of the fascist regime with a different varnish.

Contrary to that, during the Nazi era, Claus von Stauffenberg, who attempted to assassinate Hitler to stop the war madness and eventual destruction of Germany, was regarded as a traitor and criminal as well. But after the war, von Stauffenberg became a hero of resistance against fascism and barbarity.

This affair just shows that Japan has never made a real break of its fascist past, it's practically the continuation of the fascist regime with a different varnish.

Contrary to that, during the Nazi era, Claus von Stauffenberg, who attempted to assassinate Hitler to stop the war madness and eventual destruction of Germany, was regarded as a traitor and criminal as well. But after the war, von Stauffenberg became a hero of resistance against fascism and barbarity.
It's an insult to the Nazis to have their name in the same sentence with imperial Japan. Those midgets were 1000x worse than any Nazi.

Back
Top Bottom