What's new

China on track to develop Indian railways as Xi heads to S.Asia

we dont need the Japanese - chinese - German technologoies

we recently ran the delhi agra train at 160 Kmph - we just need to run all trains at average speeds of more than 160kmph

if we do that our problems are solved and again we will not need bullet trains

we just need to make all our passenger trains run at average speeds of more than 160 kmph

our existing tracks are capable for such speeds only we need to change the signalling system and fence the track from both sides

I don't think this will happen.

The strong nationalism and pride of Indians together with border and security issue
will weigh more than the train deal.

we recently ran the delhi agra train at 160 Kmph - we just need to run all trains at average speeds of more than 160kmph

we just need to make all our passenger trains run at average speeds of more than 160 kmph

our existing tracks are capable for such speeds only we need to change the signalling system and fence the track from both sides

It took India one year to develop a "semi bullet train". I'm confident that India can develop a true bullet train in two years.

Couple of 50 cents bots to entertain the folks :D

China is pretty desperate to invest its money in India to diversify its currency reserves from buying more US bonds. There is no reason to prevent them from investing in India. It will be a win win for all.

However HSR is a useless project. Expanding normal speed rail service is the way to go.

I don't think this will happen.

The strong nationalism and pride of Indians together with border and security issue
will weigh more than the train deal.
When Its comes to business, we are open to everyone pretty much like dispite many disputes Japan and China engage in many fields when it comes to business or USA and China who do business dispite various issues.

For passenger trains it might be good enough for now. But for freight trains, faster the better.

It's true that China has the longest mileage of high speed train.
Modi fed koi fish with Abe two weeks ago. Looks quite close.

I'll hope the best.

The deal with Japan is for HSR, which is different than intended one for China. Which is to improve the speed in existing system, not HSR. From a different thread:
Another mega deal will involve (a) the doubling of speeds on existing railway tracks in the country through use of technology developed and tested in China for the purpose; and (b) partnering in the construction of "fast trains" reaching speeds of 160 kilometres per hour. These would shrink travel time considerably while being much cheaper than the "bullet trains" to be developed in cooperation with Japan, an official claimed.

Let's hope the deal materialize.

Last edited:
It took India one year to develop a "semi bullet train". I'm confident that India can develop a true bullet train in two years.

there is nothing like semi bullet train

idont know if this is an attempt at scarcasm but i will take this positively

The main costs factors are in order of costs

Land
Tracks
siganlling
Rolling stock

these are fixed overhead costs

The variables are Manpower - drivers guards attendants etc

now our existing tracks are capable of withstanding speeds upto 220kmph
only need to change singalling system - as need to increase distance between 2 signals posts aor track segments for safety braking and optimal speed

now just consider 1 example of economics

1 train from Delhi to bambay takes 18 hours time

so

say the crew works for 8 hours anything more they will be paid overtime

so for 18 hours jorney + i hr pre start + 1 hour post end activites you require staff for 20 hours

ie . 3 set of crews 8*3 = 24 hours

now consider that the speed of trains are increased by 25% and the travelling time comes down to 14 hours

so 14+ 2 = 16 hours = 8*2 = only 2 set of crews

+ consider that the rolling stock will be better utilised as in a year it will make more journeys thus more passenger carried thus more revenues + less variable costs + less overhead distribution on individual journeys = More profits / trip without raising fares

there is nothing like semi bullet train

idont know if this is an attempt at scarcasm but i will take this positively

The main costs factors are in order of costs

Land
Tracks
siganlling
Rolling stock

these are fixed overhead costs

The variables are Manpower - drivers guards attendants etc

now our existing tracks are capable of withstanding speeds upto 220kmph
only need to change singalling system - as need to increase distance between 2 signals posts aor track segments for safety braking and optimal speed

now just consider 1 example of economics

1 train from Delhi to bambay takes 18 hours time

so

say the crew works for 8 hours anything more they will be paid overtime

so for 18 hours jorney + i hr pre start + 1 hour post end activites you require staff for 20 hours

ie . 3 set of crews 8*3 = 24 hours

now consider that the speed of trains are increased by 25% and the travelling time comes down to 14 hours

so 14+ 2 = 16 hours = 8*2 = only 2 set of crews

+ consider that the rolling stock will be better utilised as in a year it will make more journeys thus more passenger carried thus more revenues + less variable costs + less overhead distribution on individual journeys = More profits / trip without raising fares

All difficulties can be overcome under Modi-ji. India can develop its own bullet train.

Indian 'semi-bullet train' sets new national speed record - The Times of India

my point exactly

that HSR

in China makes loss - in debt trap
In Japan - no profits
In france - no proifts
In germany - i dont know
in US - no HSR network - but has it hampered transportation ?

then in INDIA

we should stay away from HSR (bullet trains, TGV ) etc

I don't think we will be operating bullet trains like Shinkansen. The airline lobby in our country is already suffering heavy losses. They are virtually under a heavy taxation/duty structure which doesn't allow them to make any money. Except for IndiGo and Go, all are nearing collapse. Air India cannot be counter as it has improved its loss rates in the past few months and also that it is a national carrier backed by government.

Bringing HSR network into India will mean a further deathblow to the airline industry. While railways is the lifeline of India, those who travel by rail en masse are not the category that would use HSR. They will prefer the general compartment or sleeper or AC1/2/3. Which means HSR is restricted to a upper middle class level passenger. However, if his or her travel is work related, there is a 90% chance they'd take a flight.

Technically, the only good thing HSR will bring is increase the standards of Indian Railways and create more government jobs.

Other than that, at least for 25 years, there is no visible benefit.

Back
Top Bottom