What's new

China:Muslims,Tibetans unwelcome in the Party.

Death Rattle

BANNED
Reaction score
Unwelcome at the Party.
By WANG LIXIONG
Published: November 6, 2012

Beijing — ON Thursday, China’s Communist Party will begin its 18th National Congress, which it nicknames “18th Major.” I don’t belong to a political party and have never felt that Communist Party meetings are any of my business. But my home is in Beijing. I am a writer, and Han Chinese. My wife, Woeser, is also a writer, and Tibetan. The other member of our household is my mother, who is 90.

A few weeks ago, China’s political police asked my wife to leave Beijing because “18th Major,” a once-in-a-decade coronation of new party leaders, was on the way.

The Communist Party views Tibetans and Uighur Muslims from western China as noxious. They are constantly under suspicion as troublemakers, if not terrorists. My wife, as it happens, is petite, as lacking in guile as a window pane, and about as far from a terrorist as one could get.

She has, however, written some words in protest of the fate of her fellow Tibetans. And for this, the party has put her on a blacklist, barred her from publishing, deprived her of her job, and denied her a passport. When she obeyed the recent order and headed home to Tibet, police officers along the way stopped and searched her at nearly every juncture. While Chinese people — on airplanes, trains, buses and motorcycles — are streaming into and out of Tibet by the thousands, Tibetans themselves have become outsiders in their own land, blocked at every turn.

My wife finally did make it to Lhasa, the Tibetan capital, but only because State Security in Beijing had ordered the Tibetan police to allow her to enter for the sake of “18th Major.” After all, this is priority No. 1 these days.

Then, on Oct. 24, State Security officers visited my home again. This time it was me they wanted out of Beijing. They left it to me to guess why the party saw me as a threat. I write fiction, and have also written two books on national minorities in China, with the goal of increasing mutual understanding among China’s ethnic groups. Does such writing displease the party? I suppose it does. A Uighur professor who teaches in Beijing had invited me to his home to observe Id al-Adha, an important Muslim holiday, with some of his Uighur friends. But State Security forbade me to attend, and, to be sure that I didn’t, they posted round-the-clock guards outside my door.

None of this involved any legal procedures. When I asked the guards on what authority they stood at my door, they said nothing and pointed upward. We all knew what that meant: “The ones up there, the party.” Meanwhile the Uighur professor was forced to cancel his gathering. The reason? “Eighteenth Major.”

The Communist Party has, for the sake of its own meeting, asked that my wife leave me and that I leave my elderly mother, who is too old to live without someone to care for her. Incidentally, she joined the Communist Party in 1947 (two years before the founding of the People’s Republic, and a time when joining was still dangerous) and did so in order to oppose the reigning Nationalist government, which she saw as “lacking humanity.”

Now, I want to ask her, “What do you think of the humanity of the Communist Party today?” but cannot bring myself to inflict on her the pain that the question would bring.

I have replied to State Security that a party conclave is no reason to disperse a family. They, in turn, threatened that if I refused to leave, things would become “uncomfortable” for me. They did not say how. I have decided to wait at home and see. What does a party that vows before the entire world that it follows the rule of law have in mind for my discomfort?

Wang Lixiong is a writer and novelist. This essay was translated by Perry Link from the Chinese.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/opinion/in-china-unwelcome-at-the-party.html?_r=0

Separatists and western stooges shouldn't be welcome in any country. But are all Chinese Muslims and Tibetans separatists? Hard to believe.

Chinese Hui Muslims are very accepted in China.

The problem are ethnic separatists, these groups don't have alot of love from anyone in China.

Especially since both diaspora Tibetans and Uighurs have proclaimed governments-in-exile that court Western influence and money for independence, something Chinese see somewhat traitorous and undermining China.

As well, the heightened security is only for the duration of the party congress. It's all an attempt to show unity and stability in times of turmoil in the party leadership.

This article is very biased and misleading. Currently in 18th People's congress,there's one delegation from Tibet and is consisting of many Tibetans.

I can always pick an anecdotal personal experience that is either against or supportive towards certain things or events. Common propaganda technique.

So by his own admission his wife had 'written some words in protest of the fate of her fellow Tibetans' & they had the security forces stick to her & her husband gets invited by an 'Uighur professor who teaches in Beijing had invited me to his home to observe Id al-Adha, an important Muslim holiday, with some of his Uighur friends' & is told not to do so. Hmmmn....I would like to know what the other side of the story would be ? Perhaps what words had the lady written & why was the man stopped from going to the home of an Uighur Professor of all people who otherwise is free to teach in the Chinese Capital & even gets to host his friends.

P.S Nice heading ! I wonder how one Tibetan who writes against the Government in protest & her husband visiting an Uighur Muslim Professor teaching in Beijing becomes 'Tibetans & Uighurs' unwelcome in the Party ?

P.P.S Why weren't the Hui Muslims or other ethnic Muslims in China mentioned ? Why does it always revolve around them Uighurs ? Ever wondered that ?

Wang Lixiong王力雄 and his wife Wei she维色 are very famous anti-CCP activsts

18th CCP congress delegates from Tibet
000ffe8c72691201b4ad17.jpg

000ffe8c72691201b4ea41.jpg

000ffe8c72691201b4f44f.jpg

The stupid author must have forgotten that the CCP is an atheistical party,
the Muslims do not attend the CCP congress,they attend the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference

Chinese Hui Muslims are very accepted in China.

The problem are ethnic separatists, these groups don't have alot of love from anyone in China.

Especially since both diaspora Tibetans and Uighurs have proclaimed governments-in-exile that court Western influence and money for independence, something Chinese see somewhat traitorous and undermining China.

Makes perfect sense, I fully support the Chinese government (of course, I would never support oppression or crimes against any civilians by the Chinese or any other state)

Why weren't the Hui Muslims or other ethnic Muslims in China mentioned ? Why does it always revolve around them Uighurs ? Ever wondered that ?

Isn't the answer obvious to those who have something called a brain?

Then why are you allowed in the Netherlands?

Because I'm not a separatist and have no connection to any separatist movement here! :D

In fact, there are no separatist movements here at all you uneducated HillBilly :D

Muslims in their own words said how hans moved into their areas and treat them so bad

BBC Two - Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure

China - the superpower the world fears, but few really know. Ken Hom, the godfather of Chinese cuisine, and Ching-He Huang, leading chef of the contemporary generation, together undertake an epic 3000-mile culinary adventure across China - not only to reveal its food, but its people, history, culture and soul.

Ken and Ching leave the heaving megacities far behind to embark on an intrepid journey across China's vast western frontier where few travellers dare to venture. From the tropical jungles of Yunnan to the deeply divided Muslim city of Kashgar in China's wild west, their journey takes them deep into the culture and cuisines of the country's ethnic minority groups who make up almost 10 percent of the population. This is a China known to few, where communites and their traditions are surviving in the grip of a burgeoning superpower

The Americans and Europeans treat Muslims bad. So why don't you support separatist movements in the West?

Muslims in their own words said how hans moved into their areas and treat them so bad

BBC Two - Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure

China - the superpower the world fears, but few really know. Ken Hom, the godfather of Chinese cuisine, and Ching-He Huang, leading chef of the contemporary generation, together undertake an epic 3000-mile culinary adventure across China - not only to reveal its food, but its people, history, culture and soul.

Ken and Ching leave the heaving megacities far behind to embark on an intrepid journey across China's vast western frontier where few travellers dare to venture. From the tropical jungles of Yunnan to the deeply divided Muslim city of Kashgar in China's wild west, their journey takes them deep into the culture and cuisines of the country's ethnic minority groups who make up almost 10 percent of the population. This is a China known to few, where communites and their traditions are surviving in the grip of a burgeoning superpower

yuck! go to take a shower!

Chinese central government sends 300 bln yuan subsidies to Tibet in 60 years: white paper

Peopledaily

Back
Top Bottom