What's new

China may have F-22 rival by 2018

A solar-powered spy plane that flies non-stop for 5 yrs

LONDON: The US military will soon have a new solar-powered unmanned spy aircraft that can fly non-stop for more than five years.

To quote a line from the movie 300 ..... the Chinese or any American enemy will fight in the shade.

Simply American expect 20 American F-22's for every 1 J-XX (if those are still the planes around then)

Well it could be the number of F-22 plus the number of F-35 which may be operational by 2020.

But I don't think F-35 is in the same class as F-22 when it comes to air superiority role.

Well it could be the number of F-22 plus the number of F-35 which may be operational by 2020.

But I don't think F-35 is in the same class as F-22 when it comes to air superiority role.

Yeah I think Secretary Gates was being glib and rhetorical in that statement anyways.

A solar-powered spy plane that flies non-stop for 5 yrs

LONDON: The US military will soon have a new solar-powered unmanned spy aircraft that can fly non-stop for more than five years.

The aircraft, called SolarEagle, which is being built by Boeing is designed in such a way that it can soar in the upper atmosphere for years, constantly sending surveillance and intelligence information back to the ground.

The US military has already given Boeing an $89-million contract to develop a SolarEagle demonstrator which will make its first flight in 2014, the Daily Mail reported. During test flights, the SolarEagle will remain in the upper atmosphere for 30 days, harvesting solar energy during the day that will be used to provide power through the night, it said.

The aircraft will have highly efficient electric motors and propellers along with a 400-foot wing for increased solar power and aerodynamic performance. The developer is also working on a fighter-sized, unmanned, advanced-technology demonstrator called Phantom Ray, set to make its first flight in 2011.

A solar-powered spy plane that flies non-stop for 5 yrs - The Times of India

The said solar powered plane is prop driven and will never supplant dedicated Air to Air fighters, manned or otherwise.

The said solar powered plane is prop driven and will never supplant dedicated Air to Air fighters, manned or otherwise.

True that, plus 5 years seems like a long stretch. Solar power isn't always constant.

True that, plus 5 years seems like a long stretch. Solar power isn't always constant.

I'm sure they could try flying above the clouds and keep going round and round the world to keep pace with the sun. I don't know whether the parts could last that long though. Perhaps the absence of weather will be kind on the airframe?

The solar plane that could theoretically fly indefinitely:

The Solar Plane That Could Fly Indefinitely | Motherboard

Though by the looks of it I don't think it will have much offense capability for the military.

The plane ascend to high altitude above cloud and weather during the day to charge its battery. At night it conduct a series of alternating powered flight as well as trading altitude for longer loitering time.

The solar plane that could theoretically fly indefinitely:

The Solar Plane That Could Fly Indefinitely | Motherboard

Though by the looks of it I don't think it will have much offense capability for the military.

The plane ascend to high altitude above cloud and weather during the day to charge its battery. At night it conduct a series of alternating powered flight as well as trading altitude for longer loitering time.

Is it covering a surveillance gap between Satellites (which are getting pretty damn good these day) and other attack capable but lower endurance UAVs?

Could be. Though I wouldn't expect high survivability against modern SAM or a moderately well equipped airforce.

I suppose you can use it in places like Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom