China may give five more N-power plants to Pakistan

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China may give five more N-power plants to Pakistan
Tuesday December 11, 2007 (0935 PST)

ISLAMABAD: China may give to Pakistan five more nuclear power plants with each having a capacity of 300 to 1,000 megawatt, media learnt here on Monday through reliable sources.

“Chinese Senior Vice Foreign Minister Wang Yi, who is due to arrive here today (Tuesday) on a two-day official visit, will hold talks on matters of mutual interest with President Pervez Musharraf, Prime Minister Mohammadmian Soomro, Foreign Minister Inamul Haq and Foreign Secretary Riaz Mohammad Khan,” a source said, requesting anonymity.

When contacted, Foreign Office spokesman Muhammad Sadiq confirmed the visit of the Chinese minister but did not give more details. However, the diplomats of the Western countries based in Islamabad are describing the visit as of extraordinary importance because it is taking place at a time when the United States and India are going to take some important decisions regarding their bilateral accord on the civil nuclear technology. Under the agreement, the United States will provide civil nuclear technology and power plants to India.

According to diplomatic sources, the diplomats of Western countries are of the view that China, which has already agreed to give Pakistan 300-megawatt nuclear power plants for Chashma nuclear power project-I and II, might also give two more plants of the same capacity for phase III and IV of the Chashma power project under the memorandum of understanding already signed between the two sides.

The sources said the diplomats of the Western countries also believe that Beijing might also offer Islamabad a 300-megawatt nuclear power plant for the second phase of the Karachi Nuclear Power Plant to overcome power shortage in the commercial capital of the country to a large extent. “As China has started manufacturing 1,000-megawatt nuclear power plants, it is in a position to offer many such plants to Pakistan,” the sources said.

End.

Thank God. I'm not sure why the US is so open about what Israel and India do with their nuclear plants but so concerned about the 'Islamic Bomb'. This is China's reply to the US. And a far better reply than the Americans can come up with.
:pakistan::china:

We're progressing as planned in 2004! :agree:

Musharraf went to China prior to Bushes historical visit to India, Afghanistan and Pakistan in 2004 when the 123 was offered to India only.
We utilsed our options knowing that there will be no US' reactor for us.
Rest is just a media and PR show ;)

The reacters will be good for us . But the question is will they generate any radioactive material which can be used in making nuclear warheads ?
This will definitely be concern for US and India. the UScongress recently avoided the sale of a reactor to India which generated such type of material that can be used in nuclear warheads.
I am sure if there is any such case US and India will oppose the deal..

The reacters will be good for us . But the question is will they generate any radioactive material which can be used in making nuclear warheads ?
This will definitely be concern for US and India. the UScongress recently avoided the sale of a reactor to India which generated such type of material that can be used in nuclear warheads.
I am sure if there is any such case US and India will oppose the deal..

these civilian reactors will be under IAEA regulations and monitoring.

these civilian reactors will be under IAEA regulations and monitoring.

I agree, the deal includes nuclear energy for civil use only. We've achieved and demonstrated technological ability to build military reactor. 50MW Pu-based experimental Khushab NPP is fully operational and its a success. :yahoo:

Indegenously built reactors don't have to be placed under IAEA safeguard and will produce weapon grade Uranium and Plutonium.

I agree, the deal includes nuclear energy for civil use only. We've achieved and demonstrated technological ability to build military reactor. 50MW Pu-based experimental Khushab NPP is fully operational and its a success. :yahoo:

Indegenously built reactors don't have to be placed under IAEA safeguard and will produce weapon grade Uranium and Plutonium.

KCP II and KCP III in Khushab are in progress and Ist one is to be comissioned in July 2008.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom