What's new

China: Interesting personalities

Former Professor builds exotic castle
(chinadaily.com.cn) Updated: 2016-07-16 14:09

Song Peilun, in his 70s, has spent 20 years building a castle of stone statues in Guiyang, Guizhou province. The castle, which covers an area of 20 hectares, features fantastic and exotic statues. [Photo/IC]

f8bc126d97c418f4112625.jpg

Song sits on a two-story building. [Photo/IC]

f8bc126d97c418f4112520.jpg

A view of the castle. [Photo/IC]

f8bc126d97c418f411251f.jpg

The castle built by Song Peilun. Song said his inspiration is from the Crazy Horse mountain monument in the US. [Photo/IC]

f8bc126d97c418f4112522.jpg

One of his creations.

f8bc126d97c418f4112521.jpg

One of his buildings.

f8bc126d97c418f411251e.jpg

Song stands with his building. Song was a college professor. In 1996, he quit his job and began creating the castle. [Photo/IC]

f8bc126d97c418f4119826.jpg

Song Peilun. [Photo/IC]

A Chinese Girl With No Fingers Plays Piano Beautifully

Liu Wei - Armless Pianist - Winner of China´s got Talent

THE NEXT CHINESE STAR PIANIST IS 9 YEARS OLD. PREPARE TO BE AMAZED.
February 28, 2014 by Norman Lebrecht

36 comments.

This is Serena Wang, whose debut disc will appear next month of Channel Classics. Read nothing more until you’ve watched this:

So we asked Jared Sacks of Channel Classics Records how he found her. Here’s the full story:

There is plenty of ‘young talent’ around. Especially out of Asia. Technically speaking incredible. But when I had this experience of hearing Serena play it certainly goes beyond what we call normal. How does one have this musical timing at that age. How does the brain comprehend this kind of depth. Like the spirit of someone speaking through her (and, believe me, I am not a religious man!).

I have worked a good deal through the years in China, making recordings, lecturing, demonstrations of Hi res audio. Working closely with a Chinese enthusiast who has also been doing marketing for me. This person got to know Serena’s father. Her parents know nothing about music but saw at an early age that they would have to get her special lessons. Serena goes to normal school but practices every day a couple of hours. Her parents do not push her in the least and are trying to keep her life as normal as possible.

#
I met the father last year around this time. He did not want the circus of the major labels so we talked about what we could do. Last summer Serena came with her teacher, her mother and older brother and we recorded a project of composers who wrote piano works for children. Poulenc, Shostakovich, and some Chinese works. We also did this Chopin to end the disc. My son made the video.

serena-wang-montero-lauded-dudamel-condemned-what-satchmo-thought-highest-paid-maestros-bauhaus-triadic-ballet.jpg

#
This is a disc geared to children, played by a child.

Serena_Wang1.png

Serena has been playing the Beethoven 1st Concerto with Chinese orchestras and just played for the official Chinese New Years Concert in Bejing. Her father and teacher only let her do a tour 3 times a year so that her studies are not being hampered. She is however going to be playing with the Orchestra de Paris in October and has been asked to play with the New York Phil next season. On a whim she went to Tokyo a couple of months ago to take part in the Chopin competition there. I am told she won.
#

I made the recording with wet eyes. The honour of getting to know her and being a small part of her life. I just felt the need to let others know.

#
Chances are not good for child prodigies. Can they overcome the bridge to maturity? The constant attention, the comparisons? Can she become ‘worldly ‘ to continue to develop her musical sense? Actually to me it really does not matter as for the here and now, she has already given so much. I work with the best like Ivan Fischer and Rachel Podger. But this purity in her playing does make music transcend over everything we love and care about. It is really that simple.
- See more at: http://slippedisc.com/2014/02/the-n...ld-prepare-to-be-amazed/#sthash.DK56EHY9.dpuf

THE NEXT CHINESE STAR PIANIST IS 9 YEARS OLD. PREPARE TO BE AMAZED.
February 28, 2014 by Norman Lebrecht

36 comments.

This is Serena Wang, whose debut disc will appear next month of Channel Classics. Read nothing more until you’ve watched this:

So we asked Jared Sacks of Channel Classics Records how he found her. Here’s the full story:

There is plenty of ‘young talent’ around. Especially out of Asia. Technically speaking incredible. But when I had this experience of hearing Serena play it certainly goes beyond what we call normal. How does one have this musical timing at that age. How does the brain comprehend this kind of depth. Like the spirit of someone speaking through her (and, believe me, I am not a religious man!).

I have worked a good deal through the years in China, making recordings, lecturing, demonstrations of Hi res audio. Working closely with a Chinese enthusiast who has also been doing marketing for me. This person got to know Serena’s father. Her parents know nothing about music but saw at an early age that they would have to get her special lessons. Serena goes to normal school but practices every day a couple of hours. Her parents do not push her in the least and are trying to keep her life as normal as possible.

#
I met the father last year around this time. He did not want the circus of the major labels so we talked about what we could do. Last summer Serena came with her teacher, her mother and older brother and we recorded a project of composers who wrote piano works for children. Poulenc, Shostakovich, and some Chinese works. We also did this Chopin to end the disc. My son made the video.

serena-wang-montero-lauded-dudamel-condemned-what-satchmo-thought-highest-paid-maestros-bauhaus-triadic-ballet.jpg

#
This is a disc geared to children, played by a child.

Serena_Wang1.png

Serena has been playing the Beethoven 1st Concerto with Chinese orchestras and just played for the official Chinese New Years Concert in Bejing. Her father and teacher only let her do a tour 3 times a year so that her studies are not being hampered. She is however going to be playing with the Orchestra de Paris in October and has been asked to play with the New York Phil next season. On a whim she went to Tokyo a couple of months ago to take part in the Chopin competition there. I am told she won.
#

I made the recording with wet eyes. The honour of getting to know her and being a small part of her life. I just felt the need to let others know.

#
Chances are not good for child prodigies. Can they overcome the bridge to maturity? The constant attention, the comparisons? Can she become ‘worldly ‘ to continue to develop her musical sense? Actually to me it really does not matter as for the here and now, she has already given so much. I work with the best like Ivan Fischer and Rachel Podger. But this purity in her playing does make music transcend over everything we love and care about. It is really that simple.
- See more at: http://slippedisc.com/2014/02/the-n...ld-prepare-to-be-amazed/#sthash.DK56EHY9.dpuf

Thanks for sharing.

She is one talented young girl. I am blown away by her piano skills.

Perhaps, she is the next "Lang Lang" but female.

I admire her, her ideals and what she is doing.

--------
Migrant worker seeks to expand villagers’ minds through reading
By Xu Ming Source:Global Times Published: 2016-7-29 5:03:00

b9481847-678e-4152-b237-a716be196c96.jpeg

Wu Lizhu Photo: Courtesy of Wu Lizhu

Wu Lizhu is rushed off her feet at the moment as her library "business" is busy, though it is still struggling to survive.

Two years ago, when the library had just opened in her hometown, a remote village in Guangdong Province, it seldom saw any visitors. Today the library has become a link between the village and the outside world, and not just through the stories in the books. During the summer holidays, it is filled with college students who provide free classes to the village children.

"More and more children are walking into the library. And it has become a platform for volunteers to help children," said Wu.

Wu's pride in the library is clear. But two years ago, when the 27-year-old first decided to set it up in a place where education is not valued and children start work after middle or even primary school, she faced huge difficulties.

"They didn't understand why I chose to do such a tough but unprofitable thing. I feel lonely even today," said Wu, who went to work in a city at the age of 14, "But I know I needed to change something. I would hate to see the teenagers in the village follow me."

d7f6b11d-b197-4ac8-b11f-0ad5b842b7e2.jpeg

Wu Lizhu's library Photo: Courtesy of Wu Lizhu

Seeking change

"The children in my village usually play along the river or are obsessed with computer games when they are not in class. Now the library has become their favorite hang-out," Wu explained. "The parents don't need to worry about their safety anymore when their children are out of sight, they can just come here to fetch them."

But it is not a childcare center. Boasting more than 5,000 books, which were collected nationwide, it is a place where children can feed their imaginations. Wu has also introduced free storytelling and painting classes. Most of the readers in the library are children and teenagers, according to Wu.

Wu got the idea for the library in 2014 after seeing that though more than 10 years had passed since she dropped out of school, things had not changed. Many teenagers were still giving up on their education, something that Wu hopes to change "at the root" through her library.

Wu never finished primary school. This was common in her village, where education, particularly for girls, was scorned. Seeing that the girls came back from the cities dressed well with money in their pockets, Wu joined the migrating army in 2003 at the age of 14.

Wu spent more than 10 years working in different cities, such as Dongguan, Shenzhen and Beijing. She worked in a plastic factory, sold jewelry and clothes and waited tables, earning very little. The hardship she suffered led her to the decision that no one else should follow in her footsteps.

After studying at the "Workers' University" in 2010 which provides education for migrant workers and helps them find direction in life, Wu worked at a primary school for migrant workers' children for several years, and in 2014 decided to go back to her hometown to instigate change.

"The books just serve as the foundation. I hope it can eventually change people's minds," said Wu.

From suspicion to support

Her task was not an easy one. In a village where making money is the priority, a library seemed irrelevant and she faced skepticism. Her own family told her not to bother because the library would just lose money.

"They saw it as unnecessary for a girl to take on such a strenuous task. And they did not see any benefit from the project at all," noted Wu.

The villagers believed that she must be motivated by profit. "They said 'only profit can make one move'," Wu told the Global Times, "They could not believe that I was opening the library just for the benefit of the public." Furthermore, they did not think the library could last since "no one wanted to read."

Fortunately, she got some help from students from a middle school at which she used to teach as a volunteer. They helped clean the library, make rules and spread the word among their friends and relatives.

"At first, the parents did not care for the library at all. Neither did they encourage their children to read there. They just waited and watched," said Wu,

"Three months later, the parents who had said that I was doing this only for profit told me directly that the library was a good thing and should have been opened even earlier," Wu laughed.

Seeing that their children are benefiting from the library, some parents offered to donate books. And Wu once successfully collected money for library's rent in June from the villagers, which gave her a much-needed boost of confidence.

Long way to go

The situation is much better these days. Wu now has three staff members who help her run the library. Her family has become more understanding and some villagers are becoming supportive.

Besides children, adults in the village are also reading in the library. "Mama classes" are frequently held, where illiterate women in the village are taught how to read and write. There are also activities encouraging parents and children to play together.

Through all these activities, Wu hopes to reverse the lack of emphasis on education in the village. "I hope that under-age children will stop going out to work." She also hopes that what she is doing can help children become mentally independent and see other possibilities in life besides the paths set by their parents or family.

Wu said she was very moved recently when a middle school student who helps at the library in his spare time said that "Wu had saved him." The boy said he would have dropped out of school if he had not met Wu.

"As a matter of fact, I am not sure if the library and what I am doing is leading to some good changes to the village. I may notice some, but they are too subtle, and few confide in me like that boy did," Wu said.

Opening the library has left Wu heavily in debt. "I've maxed out all my credit cards," she said. Fortunately, she received nearly 50,000 yuan ($7,510) in financial support from a charitable fund, but the money could only cover one year of expenses. Now she and her team are exploring more sustainable ways to keep the library going.

Wu sometimes feels lonely. She said that in the beginning when she was working alone, the pressure caused by all the criticism led her to question herself sometimes.

"But I immediately gave up these thoughts and became determined again," said Wu.

Thanks for sharing.

She is one talented young girl. I am blown away by her piano skills.

Perhaps, she is the next "Lang Lang" but female.

I thank you for creating a wonderful thread

Yes. Yalun Serena Wang is a prodigy. I hope she enjoys her busy schedules and her parents, custodians and teachers can develop Yalun into one of the best pianists in the world with a great personality , like or even better than Lang Lang who has been having an excellent career as a superstar in classical music, a philanthropist, a cultural ambassador and an inspiration to young pianists all over the world

2194.jpg

Let's take an extract from his website about his outstanding achievements:
http://langlang.com/en/me
" Today, his resume reads like a bestseller (and indeed his auto biography, Journey of a Thousand Miles, has been published by Random House in eleven languages, and was released to critical acclaim – and as part of his commitment to the education of children, he released a version specifically for younger readers, entitled Playing with Flying Keys). He has been heralded as the hottest artist on the classical music planet” by the New York Times, has played sold out concerts in every major city in the world and is the first Chinese pianist to be engaged by the Vienna Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic and the New York Philharmonic orchestras."

The Lang Lang International Music Foundation
http://langlangfoundation.org/

And there is another gifted kid, a Chinese-Canadian boy who was invited to play at the Carnegie Hall 3 years ago when he was 5 years old
He is Ryan Wang

See this funny interview in the Ellen show:

And dont miss this very touching clip when
5 Year-Old Piano Prodigy Ryan Wang Performs for 101 Year-Old Dorothy Landry

Bless Dorothy and Ryan and everyone

More amazing stories of interesting Chinese people to come

Last edited:
Beautiful Aranjuez
Belated congratulations to Meng Su
" Meng Su performed in the Final Round of the Parkening International Guitar Competition on May 30, 2015.
Meng Su went on to win the Gold Medal later that evening, becoming the first guitarist to have won both youth and the main Parkening Competition, she is also the first female guitarist to both make it to the final round of the main competition and win the Gold Medal. "
Now watch Meng Su's superb rendition of this great classical guitar concerto

Last edited:
Violinist from China wins annual young artist competition

Email
By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on March 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM

45th Annual William C. Byrd International Young Artist Competition winner Xiao Wang.Courtesy Photo

FLINT, MI -- A violinist from China took home the top spot this year at the 45th Annual William C. Byrd International Young Artist Competition at the Flint Institute of Music.

The annual competition for string instruments was held at the Flint Institute of Music (FIM) on Saturday, March 5. Twenty-five contestants auditioned, and five finalists were selected by three judges to perform in the evening program.

The winner of this year's competition is Xiao Wang, a violinist from China who is currently studying at the Manhattan School of Music in New York, according to a news release from the FIM. His prize is $6,000 and the opportunity to perform with the Flint Symphony Orchestra on April 22, 2017.

Wang has won a number of competitions including the 2012 Szigeti International Violin Competition and the 2015 Seoul International Competition. He also received the laureate distinction at the very prestigious 2015 Queen Elizabeth Violin Competition.

Wang began playing the violin when he was 5-years-old and continued his studies at the Central Conservatory in Beijing at 10-years-old, according to the release. He has earned at Bachelor's degree in music from the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia.

The second prize winner Yuan Tian took home $2,500 for his performance of the Violin Concerto No. 1, Op. 77 by Shostakovich, according to the release.

Three other finalists each received a $1,000 award. The three finalists are:

• Nathan Cottrell plays the cello and is a graduate students at Michigan State University who performed Schelomo by Block.
  • Samuel DeCaprio plays the cello and is a graduate students at Mannes College in New York who performed Sinfonia Concertante, Op. 125 by Prolofiev.
  • Jenni Gi Seo play the viola and is a graduate student at the Julliard School. Her music selection was Concerto for Viola and Orchestra by Bartók.
The next William C. Byrd International Young Artists Competition is for winds and brass instruments and will be held on Saturday, March 4, 2017.

The competition is sponsored by the St. Cecilia Society of Flint, Michigan and produced completely by volunteers.

This doctor is brilliant with curing scoliosis or curvature of the spine.
Doctors like him need to be given more publicity.

--------
Doctor with novel cure for scoliosis patients
By Huang Zhiling In Chengdu (China Daily)Updated: 2016-07-15 08:25

b083fe96fac218f281810d.jpg

Doctor Liang Yijian talks with one of his patients who suffers from scoliosis at No 3 Hospital in Chengdu, Sichuan province. Huang Zhiling / China Daily

Chengdu surgeon has treated curvatures of the spine previously thought incurable

When Xiao Qiang got married at his home in Zhengxing town, Chongqing municipality, last month, the 32-year-old was happy to have proved the doctors wrong.

Xiao was born with severe scoliosis, or curvature of the spine, and had been told from an early age that there was no cure.

Scoliosis is classified as a severe condition, and potentially damaging to a patient's lungs and heart, if the spine's curvature exceeds 100 degrees. Xiao's spine deviated from the norm by 190 degrees.

"I'd had it since birth," he said. "Surgeons in many major cities had told me there was no cure.

"Then, in March 2013, I went to No 3 Hospital in Chengdu, where doctor Liang Yijian treated me for two and a half years. Now I look normal when I wear clothes."

Liang, head of the hospital's orthopedics department, inserted four metal rods into the upper part of Xiao's torso to form a brace that helped straighten his back.

"The bars pulled my spine back into shape, and after two years the curvature was reduced to 70 degrees," Xiao said.

Liang then operated on Xiao to remove any protruding bones, without touching the spinal cord. After the operation, the curvature of Xiao's spine was less than 50 degrees.

Before undergoing treatment in Chengdu, Xiao had visited 27 leading surgeons in different parts of the country.

He found that most did little more than remove patients' rib bones to achieve a reduction in spinal curvature, and could only offer him a 40-degree reduction at best.

"Their goal is to stop the bones from damaging a patient's lungs and heart. Doctor Liang uses metal bars to pull the spine into shape before he operates. His methods can solve a patient's problem once and for all," Xiao said.

Nearly 1,000 patients with severe scoliosis have benefited from Liang's innovative methods, according to Liao Guanghua, an information officer at the hospital.

Liang was born into a coal mining family in Chongqing. His father was injured numerous times in mining accidents before dying from a brain tumor when Liang was just 11. These early experiences encouraged Liang to become a medic.

He graduated from the Chengdu Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 1986 and has been an orthopedist for 30 years.

"Out of every 1,000 Chinese, three suffer from curvature of the spine," Liang said.

"Most of them live in rural and less developed areas with limited access to information. When they eventually seek treatment, they are often already very sick."

Treatment for scoliosis is most successful when performed on juveniles. However, many of Liang's patients are age 20 to 30.

There are 90 beds for scoliosis patients on his ward, which are always full, he said.

Only four surgeons, including Liang, are qualified to operate on scoliosis patients at the hospital. An operation can last up to seven hours.

For Liang, it is his patients' desire to survive and lead a normal life that inspires him.

One such patient was a taxi driver in Wuhan, Hubei province, who was 37 at the time.

In 2010, he sought Liang's help after having suffered from curvature of the spine for 20 years following a bout of myelitis in his teens.

The man was too embarrassed to collect his nine-year-old son from school, in case the boy's schoolmates saw him. He was concerned it might give his son an inferiority complex.

"To help patients like him, I would like to carry on and be a surgeon for as long as possible," Liang said.

Farmer becomes famous for watermelon calligraphy
By Zhang Rui
China.org.cn, August 2, 2016

8c89a590f56e190a8d510b.jpg

A farmer recently became very popular on the internet for his Chinese calligraphy on watermelons. [Photo / fawan.com]

A farmer recently became very popular on the internet for his Chinese calligraphy on watermelons.

Gu Xinliang, 56, a rural teacher, has sold 3000kg of watermelons he grew on his 666 square-meter farmland within just 11 days. What is the secret key for his stunning business? It comes down to writing calligraphy.

"I didn't expect this," he told the Legal Evening News on Monday, "One day, I wrote the Chinese characters 'Fortune' and 'Longevity' on a few watermelons, and they were quickly sold!"

As many watermelon sellers flock to sell the fruit during the summer time, supply has exceeded demand. However, Gu's creative idea helped him stand out and beat the competitors as buyers loved to buy his watermellons with caligraphy both for eating and good luck.

Gu, a calligraphy lover, works on more watermelons with a greater diversity of calligraphy of blessings and good lucky phrases in Chinese, including "Chinese Dream" and "Wish you Happiness."

However, he also admits it is very hard and even causes him physical pain since he has to write the calligraphy on watermelons using his fingernails.

"Other tools may damage the watermelons. Using the fingernails to do it is the best way, but my fingers are aching now."

Be Strong: 82-year-old man breaks record with 155 one-arm pushups
(People's Daily Online) 00:19, August 02, 2016

FOREIGN201608020019000310901142039.jpg

An 82-year-old senior man has awed the crowds with his 155 one-arm pushups during a fitness competition held in Hefei, East China’s Anhui province on Sunday.

A retiree, Yongyong has been a fan of sports all his life. With his strong arms and core, Yong has set 5 records in fitness competitions across the nation.

Guo-Hui Liang, advisor of the company, is a renowned maker and educator of violin making, as well as one of the leading figures of the Lingnan School of violin making in China. Yehudi Menuhin acclaimed him “a very talented violin maker.” As early as 1983 he won the 6th prize for tonal quality in the First Louis Spohr International Violin Making Competition held at Kassel, Germany. He is a highly successful educator. His students Ming-Jiang Zhu, Haide Lin, and Yong-Cheng Xu have won multiple awards in international competitions. In total, his students and their students have won 40 awards, including gold medals, silver medals, and certificates of merits. He has made a significant contribution to Chinese violin making and opened the door for it to go to the world.

20120106014144532.jpg

Ming-Jiang Zhu, internationally renowned master of violin making, is a vice president of China Violin Makers Association. He has won 19 awards from international competitions, including 2 gold medals and 2 silver medals. He has been featured in world media such as Time magazine and was recognized as being “within the top 5% of violin makers in the world today.” A student of Master Guo-Hui Liang, Ming-Jiang Zhu has proved himself an outstanding educator as well. His students include award-winners Shao Chen, Qiao-Ming Tan, and Wei-Xian Zhu. For his prominent achievements, he has been honored as “Excellent Personnel in the Musical Instrument Industry of China,” “National Expert of Technology,” “Model Worker of Guangdong Province,” and “National Model Worker.” He is a member of Entente Internationale des Maîtres-luthiers et Archetiers d’art (International Society of Violin and Bow Makers), and served as a judge of workmanship in the First China International Violin Making Competition, 2010.

20120106020423968.jpg

Chinese violinist Ziyu He wins International Mozart Competition Salzburg 2016

The 16-year-old triumphed in the violin section, winning €10,000

February 9, 2016

Ziyu-He-01-400x599.jpg

Ziyu He has won the violin section of the 12th International Mozart Competition Salzburg, and receives €10,000. The 16-year-old Chinese violinist, a student at Salzburg’s Universität Mozarteum, also won the Special Prize for the best interpretation of the commissioned work by Gerhard Wimberger.

Second prize, worth €7,000, was awarded to 24-year-old German violinist Thomas Reif, a former Mozarteum student, while third prize, worth €4,000, went to Benjamin Marquise Gilmore from the Netherlands. All three finalists performed Mozart’s Violin Concerto no. 5 in the Great Hall of the Mozarteum Foundation.

Ziyu He has won a number of competitions, including first prize at the Szymon Goldberg Award of the Meissen Music Academy in 2012, and third prize at both the International Violin Competition in Kloster Schöntal and at the International Louis Spohr Competition in 2013. He also won the Eurovision Young Musician of the YearCompetition in 2014.

The International Mozart competition is held every two years, dedicated alternately to violin / piano, and string quartet / voice. This year’s violin jury was chaired by Benjamin Schmid, and included Hans Graf, Esther Hoppe, Priya Mitchell, Gerhard Schulz, Matthias Schulz, Sergiu Schwartz.

Two months later, He went on to win another prestigious event, the Menuhin Competition in London

The third prize went to 20-year-old Yu-Ting Chen from Taiwan

_89287455_70a56c81-36ff-4336-8fcd-007f40916f12.jpg

MENUHIN COMPETITION
Image caption Ziyu He previously won Eurovision Young Musician 2014 and the Zhuhai International Mozart Competition

Ziyu He wins Menuhin Competition 2016 Senior Division

This year’s contest, celebrating the centenary of its famous namesake, takes place in London

April 16, 2016

Ziyu-He-02.jpg

Ziyu He has been named the winner of the Menuhin Competition 2016 Senior Division, following a Final held at London’s Royal Festival Hall this evening.

Four Finalists, whittled down from 22 violinists aged between 16 and 21 over two previous live rounds, performed a concerto with the Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra conducted by Christopher Warren-Green.

16-year-old Ziyu He from China receives a first prize of £10,000, plus the one-year loan of the Stradivari ‘Schneiderhan’ violin, 1715 through J&A Beare’s International Violin Society.

Second prize. worth £7,500, goes to 16-year-old SongHa Choi from South Korea, while third prize, worth £5,000 goes to 20-year-old Yu-Ting Chen from Taiwan. 20-year-old Jeein Kim receives fourth prize, worth £3,000.

SongHa Choi receives the £500 audience prize.

The Menuhin Competition Junior Division was won on Friday night by 12-year-old Yesong Sophie Lee.

The biennial Menuhin Competition, this year marking Menuhin’s 100th anniversary, takes place from 7-17 April in London. The 2016 jury comprises former laureates Julia Fischer, Ray Chen, Tasmin Little, Ning Feng and Joji Hattori, in addition to pianist Jeremy Menuhin, Korean violinist Dong-Suk Kang, director of the Verbier Festival Martin Engstroem and jury chair Pamela Frank.

The 2014 Menuhin Competition Senior Division was won by Stephen Waarts, while Rennosuke Fukuda triumphed in the Junior Division.

Chen-Yuting-Violinist-2-320x480.png

Chen Yu-ting wins Third Prize

News | 07.07.15
China’s Dai Liang wins the Piano Competition

2015 Parmigiani Montreux Jazz Solo Piano Competition Results: In a thrilling finale last night, young artist Dai Liang (China) won the 2015 Parmigiani Montreux Jazz Solo Piano Competition. The jury, presided over by Israel’s Yaron Herman, underscored the difficulty of deliberations given the extremely high level of competition. The fifteen-year-old Chinese musician prevailed through his technical skills and sensitivity, edging out Yakir Arbib (Israel) and Oláh Krisztian (Hungary).

All three top finishers will join their six counterparts from the guitar and voice competitions, as well as the winner of the Prix du Public UBS, as participants in the second edition of the Montreux Jazz Academy from 5 to 11 October 2015.

1st Prize: Dai Liang aka A Bu (China, 1999)

A Bu is a 15-year-old Chinese pianist from Beijing. After studying classical and jazz piano at Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing he moved to New York in September 2014 to study at the Juilliard School Pre-College. Early 2015, A Bu recorded his 2nd album at Avatar Studio NYC with great musicians such as Antonio Hart and Tom Kennedy. A Bu has played many festivals in China and France. On 30 April 2015, A Bu played at the International Jazz Day All-Star Global Concert invited by Unesco.

2nd Prize: Yakir Arbib (Italy, 1989)

Yakir Arbib is an international award-winning pianist and composer equally versed both in classical music and jazz. He is a four-time winner of the America-Israel Cultural Foundation for young talents (2006-2009), winner of the "Massimo Urbani International Jazz Award" (2008) and was signed at age 19 by the European "Philology Jazz Records" under which he released his first album in trio "Portrait". Arbib tours the world as composer-pianist performing his original music, and has been commissioned by international ensembles such as "ALEA III", "The Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra", "Triple Helix Piano Trio" and "Stradivari String Sextet". He holds a BM Cum Laude in Piano and Composition from "Berklee College of Music" in Boston.

3rd Prize: Krisztian Oláh (Hungary, 1995)

Krisztian Oláh is a pianist and composer studying jazz-piano in Karoly Binder’s class at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music. Between 2010 and 2014 he studied classical piano in the Bela Bartok Conservatory in Budapest. At the age of 12 he had already developed an interest in 20th century classical music and free improvisation. Krisztian was inspired by his father, Kálmán Oláh, becoming more and more involved in jazz. In 2012 he won 2nd prize at the Hungarian Jazz Combo Competition. At the beginning of 2014 I founded the Colour Art Ensemble, where his trio and a classical chamber orchestra performed compositions written and arranged by himself.

• mjf_20150706_palace_parmigianimontreuxjazzpianocompetition_damienrichard_13.jpg
  • Dai Liang aka A Bu © 2015 FFJM – Damien Richard
Find full details at mjaf.ch

"A-Bu" performing in Paris

“A Bu is a young musician with a musical talent which is creating a noise in the Asia jazz scene.”Marc Vincent, President of Sennheiser Greater China

2927.jpg

A-Bu's Official Website

http://www.abujazz.com/

PKU student Ding Liren wins the championship in 2016 China-USA Chess Grandmaster Summit
MAY . 25 2016

Peking University, May 24, 2016: The 2016 China-USA Chess Grandmaster Summit Match sees Asia No. 1 chess player, PKU law school undergraduate student Ding Liren taking on US Top 10 player Wesley So in a four-game match in Shanghai, China.

082e5f06ea8618a369a801.jpg
Ding Liren overtaking Wesley So in the third round

The head coach of China’s chess team Ye Jiangchuan commented that Ding Liren has displayed great chess skills during the match. Chess professionals said that Ding’s moves can equal supercomputer and he totally deserves this championship.

082e5f06ea8618a369b402.jpg
Ding Liren with his trophy

Women’s world chess champion, undergraduate student Hou Yifan and chess enthusiasts in PKU’s World Chess Club payed close attention to Ding’s match. Hou Yifan was invited to explain the moves in chess game in PKU’s chess class. Before the class began, Hou was appointed as the advisory of the class by the director of Department of Physical Education Li Ning. Hou said that she was willing to contribute to the development of the class, which served as a good platform for promoting this beautiful game.

082e5f06ea8618a369c403.jpg
Hou's letter of appointment

In the class, Hou gave detailed explanation for the techniques adopted in chess using the examples of her own match and Ding’s match. Students learned a lot from her vivid and logical illustration. She also gave advice on the team competition held in the class. After the match, Hou presented award to the winners and took photos with all the students.

082e5f06ea8618a369d204.jpg
Students listening to Hou’s illustration

082e5f06ea8618a369f005.jpg
Hou taking photos with the students

PKU’s chess class has increased the content of chess culture and chess playing in its curriculum since May 2014. World champions such as Hou Yifan and Ding Liren have all given lessons in the class, giving it unique advantages over other chess classes.

Written by: Wang Zeyu
Edited by: Xiao Yunyun
Source: Department of Physical Education

Back
Top Bottom