What's new

China Has Homemade Supercomputer Gain

I think "generation" refers to the fabrication process.

Current generation is 22nm.

3 generations behind would be 65nm (i.e. 22nm, 32nm, 45nm, 65nm)

I think China is on 65nm with its Loongson.

FYI, 65nm was achieved in 2006, so China is not decades behind.

Exactly. And this machine was built in 2010. We don't know what's going on in NUDT the past year.

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Generations are not divided by manufacturing processes. They are categorized my microarchitecture designs emcompassing caching, software and much more.

Longson is made in France with American itchers.

China is a developing country, and therefore should not even try to compare itself to the US or Japan.

China is a large country.
Hong Kong and Macau is richer than Canada, Beijing and Shanghai have the GDP per capita about Korea's level while the poorest province is only a little bit ahead of India.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

But the lab that has the nation wide support surely has the resource to get things done.

who cares where it is from, now its china's technology. china can develop it on its own to gain technology independence and export it to other nations.
thats worked a charm in solar, wind, nuclear, high-speed rail, etc
chinese companies will dominate that particular field.

that means china can provide that technology at a lower cost to anyone that wants it. its like china developing its own turbofan engines for the fighter jets. it allows china to export fighter without getting approval from anyone. same thing here.
the supercomputer is made using chinese chips which stops foreign nations putting embargoes.

china is doing the same thing in everything from semiconductor, software, IT, machinery, optical, medical and precision devices, etc etc.

its a superb strategy by china, the west has been whinging about it saying their companies are losing out in different fields.

You are right, our goal is making the efficient and affordable high end technology that will be available for everyone.

Hong Kong and Macau is richer than Canada, Beijing and Shanghai have the GDP per capita about Korea's level while the poorest province is only a little bit ahead of India.

I am sure that mainland China will one day have the same GDP per capita as Hong Kong.

There is not much difference between a mainlander and a Hong Konger, both have the same potential.

In fact, Shanghai's economy is already overtaking Hong Kong.

I am sure that mainland China will one day have the same GDP per capita as Hong Kong.

There is not much difference between a mainlander and a Hong Konger, both have the same potential.

Beijing is very close too.

11102723156d28e2db5076e6f7.png

Generations are not divided by manufacturing processes. They are categorized my microarchitecture designs emcompassing caching, software and much more.

True, but looking at Intel chips for example, changing to new manufacturing processes have coincided with new microarchitecture designs:

Core - 65nm
Nehalim - 45nm
Sandy Bridge - 32nm
Ivy Bridge - 22nm

I think you're analysis using GDP is flawed. Hong Kong has a little over 7 million population while Shanghai is over 23 million. At this point in history, it is far more important for China to reach a comparatively advanced technological state with the leading developed countries vs simplistic GDP comparisons with other Chinese cities. It's like comparing Shanghai to oil rich cities like Dubai or Riyadh, which would be meaningless. The important thing is how powerful the cities are and what makes a city powerful is the combination of its technological, financial and political strength. In that sense, Shanghai is already stronger than Hong Kong because it is a leading multidimensional city with many strengths whereas financial/trade power is Hong Kong's bread and butter.

I think you're analysis using GDP is flawed. Hong Kong has a little over 7 million population while Shanghai is over 23 million. At this point in history, it is far more important for China to reach a comparatively advanced technological state with the leading developed countries vs simplistic GDP comparisons with other Chinese cities. It's like comparing Shanghai to oil rich cities like Dubai or Riyadh, which would be meaningless. The important thing is how powerful the cities are and what makes a city powerful is the combination of its technological, financial and political strength. In that sense, Shanghai is already stronger than Hong Kong because it is a leading multidimensional city with many strengths whereas financial/trade power is Hong Kong's bread and butter.

You're absolutely right. I wasn't linking GDP per capita with overall power though, otherwise Switzerland and Singapore would be superpowers.

I was simply excited at the prospect of 1.3 billion people with Hong Kong's GDP per capita. Which I believe will happen in the future.

Of course there are many indicators where cities such as Beijing and Shanghai have surpassed us a long time ago. Our core competency is finance, not political power, science or culture. Beijing and Shanghai are far ahead of us on those factors.

I think "generation" refers to the fabrication process.

Current generation is 22nm.

3 generations behind would be 65nm (i.e. 22nm, 32nm, 45nm, 65nm)

I think China is on 65nm with its Loongson.
Last news I heard is that some Chinese companies are now able to produce 22nm scale fab equipment and has foundries that can fab down to 40nm. The context of the article was referring to the state of China's fabrication process technology.

Congrats to our chinese brothers. I wonder what other surprises they have in store for the west. lol
From the latest news, 2 other Chinese supercomputers will be announced either in 4th quarter 2011 or at the latest within the 1st half of 2012. These are from CAS, otherwise known as the Dawning series, which will use the Godson 3B 8-core processor and the follow-on to TianHe-I from NUDT.

Exactly. And this machine was built in 2010. We don't know what's going on in NUDT the past year.
China is a large country.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

But the lab that has the nation wide support surely has the resource to get things done.

Hong Kong and Macau are China's richest cities. But do you think they even come close to Toronto, or Quebec City, Canada's richest? Less than 10% of Chinese live in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong or Macau. These cities are not a reflection of China, but signs of wealth concentration in a communist state.

Moreover, Chinese statistics do not even incorporate the income of migrant workers which encompasses nearly half of the population of Beijing and Shanghai, they earn less than 350 dollars a month. You Chinese strive to fight descrimination abroad while descriminating against the poor in China through a residential premit system. You people are despicable.

Hong Kong and Macau are China's richest cities. But do you think they even come close to Toronto, or Quebec City, Canada's richest? Less than 10% of Chinese live in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong or Macau. These cities are not a reflection of China, but signs of wealth concentration in a communist state.

Moreover, Chinese statistics do not even incorporate the income of migrant workers which encompasses nearly half of the population of Beijing and Shanghai, they earn less than 350 dollars a month. You Chinese strive to fight descrimination abroad while descriminating against the poor in China through a residential premit system. You people are despicable.

You are either an anti-China fundamentalist or a CIA fed 老将. Only the blind people fail to see the great progress people've achieved in China. You talked about Beijing and Shanghai and you are talking about the a city with population of your country's size. You talked about migrant workers as if you shared their hardness. What have you done to help the poor?

Doing nothing but criticize the most hard working people only make you despicable.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Since you live in such a far away country from China why bother to pose your nose here? Not every one likes your breathe.

Longson is made in France with American itchers.

China is a developing country, and therefore should not even try to compare itself with the US or Japan, both of which live off of x10 the per capita income of the average Chinese.

Your trolling is shameless, but I'm glad this great Chinese achievement has your panties all twisted in a knot.

The world's best, undisputed processor is the IBM z196. It runs at 5.2 GHz on a 45nm process. This is only one generation behind China's 65nm process. My all time favorite Intel chip (and I've owned them all, including golden chips) is the Q6600 that overclocks to 3.7GHz stable all week long on TEC cooling. And that was a 65nm process.

Congrats China. Great achievement!!

Back
Top Bottom