What's new

China has grudging but immense respect for India, says former Australian PM Kevin Rudd

Obviously. In any tyranny the tyrant is the driving factor always...until thrown out
What he meant was that the CCP's efficiency and success led to such a large gap in national strength between China and India.

Yeah... We fell behind in education.
We will get respect when we deserve it. A matter of time.
I don't see India has bright future. India's culture has too many flaws. And democracy amplifies these flaws. Which makes things worse. Strangly enough there has never been a famous Indian who ever pointed out their culture problems even all the flaws are so obvious for non- Indians. Time won't change anything.

During the early phase of 20th century, many Chinese elites criticized Chinese traditional culture. They told Chinese that China must completely abandon traditional culture to become a powerful country. Indians lack the ablility of introspection. Which is another flaw of India culture.

Last edited:
I think most Chinese respect India as an ancient civilization, as the origin of Buddhism and India for its size and heft. I don't think most respect how Indian society is run today but that may change as India continues to develop.

speaking from personal experience, most chinese i know don't have much respect for india.

Not sure about pdf chinese, but chinese society do have good impression on India.

China's India experts' views on India are divided by generation. The older experts are influenced by the internationalist education when they were young, and they pay great attention to internationalist ideas such as friendship, mutual respect, solidarity, etc. Indoctrination can affect a person's lifelong ideology.These people have a very positive view of India. They believe that the combined population of India and China is half of the world's. China and India should be friendly anyway, so how can they fight each other?
I think these older India experts in China don't understand neither India nor reality. The education of communist idealism had too much influence on them, too much idealism, and the image they painted of India was just a false image of their own outdated internationalist ideology.
Young Chinese experts on India believe that there is no need for China to maintain so-called friendly relations with India. What is India? Indians have irrational self-confidence and are good at lawyer-style sophistry. Just like Nehru, they often try to use some lawyer-style words, traps and tricks to play some small tricks, which is very annoying.
The reality is that Indians do not believe in win-win cooperation. The Chinese like to emphasize cooperation and win-win. This concept comes from the Chinese concept of peace. In the eyes of Indians, win-win cooperation is a naive and stupid idea. What Indians want is to take all and get all the benefits.
As the older generation retire and the new generation grows, China's view of India will become more realistic.

Obviously. In any tyranny the tyrant is the driving factor always...until thrown out

LOL, same old "democracy vs tyranny" bs. India's superpower status is all but guaranteed! If not in 2012, it must be in 2020, or 2030 or 2040......

You Indians are bizarrely optimistic bunch. I was following IDF Galwan thread, and IA's humiliated defeat has now been spun into a victory. The members suffering mental meltdown and PDST are now all cocky and arrogant again. "Well, if we can't fool others, at least we can fool ourselves". :partay:

You guys just never learn. :cheesy:

Last edited:
China see india as a annoying wife who need to be spanked to put her in its place when irritating. But when obedient she deserves her husbands love.

I don't see India has bright future. India's culture has too many flaws. And democracy amplifies these flaws. Which makes things worse. Strangly enough there has never been a famous Indian who ever pointed out their culture problems even all the flaws are so obvious for non- Indians. Time won't change anything.

During the early phase of 20th century, many Chinese elites criticized Chinese traditional culture. They told Chinese that China must completely abandon traditional culture to become a powerful country. Indians lack the ablility of introspection. Which is another flaw of India culture.
Traditional culture tend to be backward and regressive. It is losing its grip with time and education.
Unlike China, we can't force people to be educated. We can't force them to stop most of their backwards practices either.

A big chunk of our elite and younger generation is of a scientific temperament.

Traditional culture tend to be backward and regressive. It is losing its grip with time and education.
Unlike China, we can't force people to be educated. We can't force them to stop most of their backwards practices either.

I didn't say traditions. But the mindsets of Indians. The way they think the world and treat others. There is no sign that Indians are giving up Hinduism

I remind you that India is a different country in terms of education, not China.

Yes, China implements "compulsory education", and every Chinese citizen has the right and compulsory to receive education. Since it is an "compulsory", of course it will be mandatory. However, China is not the only country that implements "compulsory education".

In fact, all modern countries implement "compulsory education". Including all East Asian and European countries.

I find myself agreeing with some Chinese members here. But it's not that simple. India is too diverse and each linguistic / ethnic / religious group is carrying some baggage. That has brought with itself opportunistic and blackmail politics. Very difficult to implement blanket policies unless some dictator government takes control.

Last edited:
I find myself agreeing with some Chinese members here. But it's not that simple. India is too diverse and each linguistic / ethnic / religious group is carrying some baggage. That has brought with itself opportunistic and blackmail politics. Very difficult to implement blanket policies unless some dictator government takes control.
Simply put, India needs a Mao. From India's life example, people can gauage how much contribution Mao did for the Chinese society, now China is a pretty fair society and the playing field is largely leveled for every citizen with no major, consistent social woes.

Simply put, India needs a Mao. From India's life example, people can gauage how much contribution Mao did for the Chinese society, now China is a pretty fair society and the playing field is largely leveled for every citizen with no major, consistent social woes.

Mao Zedong's drastic measures are only suitable for homogeneous countries, and only the people of homogeneous countries are willing to make sacrifices for the future.

India needs a Kennedy, not Mao Zedong.

Back
Top Bottom