What's new

China has enough coal for the next five decades and sufficient oil to last at least 18 years at current rates of production: Ministry of Natural Reso

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China has enough coal for the next five decades and sufficient oil to last at least 18 years at current rates of production: Ministry of Natural Resources

Bloomberg News | September 21, 2022 | 7:55 am

China has enough coal for the next five decades and sufficient oil to last at least 18 years at current rates of production, according to the Ministry of Natural Resources.
blank.gif

The latest annual tally of reserves released on Wednesday shows an endowment of fossil fuels that stretches well beyond China’s 2030 deadline to peak its carbon emissions. In the case of coal, the worst fuel for global heating, there’s enough in the ground to take China past even its 2060 ambition to achieve carbon neutrality.

China consumes over 4 billion tonnes of coal a year, most of it domestically mined with imports making up less than a tenth of its needs. In 2021 its reserves stood at around 208 billion tonnes, 28% more than the prior year’s level, while the outlay on exploration rose 10% to 1.3 billion yuan ($184 million), according to the ministry.

For oil, reserves edged up 2.8% to 3.7 billion tonnes, which would theoretically be enough to get the nation’s drillers through most of the next two decades, assuming stable output of about 200 million tonnes a year. Natural gas reserves were a touch higher at 6,339 billion cubic meters, enough for the next three decades.

However, China still relies on imports for most of its oil and much of its gas. Investment in exploration over the year rose 13% to 80 billion yuan, with breakthroughs made in finding new reserves in Sichuan, Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia, as well as the Bohai Bay, the report said.

Heck, when I started working in 2000, I read in a geological journal that China's recoverable oil reserves were 1.7 billion tons. After 22 years of exploitation, did China's recoverable oil reserves increase to 3.7 billion tons?

Heck, when I started working in 2000, I read in a geological journal that China's recoverable oil reserves were 1.7 billion tons. After 22 years of exploitation, did China's recoverable oil reserves increase to 3.7 billion tons?
When I was a student, the textbook told me that the earth's oil reserves were only enough for humans to use until 2020.

Becos technology improves and accelerate oil exploration plus we can extract oil that is impossible to extract 20 years ago or simply too expensive to extract become economical. That are the reasons why oil reserves increase instead of decrease.

But I have a gloom outlook for oil. In next 2-3 years time. Oil demand will drop dramatically as EV become the dominant.

China has enough coal for the next five decades and sufficient oil to last at least 18 years at current rates of production: Ministry of Natural Resources

Bloomberg News | September 21, 2022 | 7:55 am

China has enough coal for the next five decades and sufficient oil to last at least 18 years at current rates of production, according to the Ministry of Natural Resources.
blank.gif

The latest annual tally of reserves released on Wednesday shows an endowment of fossil fuels that stretches well beyond China’s 2030 deadline to peak its carbon emissions. In the case of coal, the worst fuel for global heating, there’s enough in the ground to take China past even its 2060 ambition to achieve carbon neutrality.

China consumes over 4 billion tonnes of coal a year, most of it domestically mined with imports making up less than a tenth of its needs. In 2021 its reserves stood at around 208 billion tonnes, 28% more than the prior year’s level, while the outlay on exploration rose 10% to 1.3 billion yuan ($184 million), according to the ministry.

For oil, reserves edged up 2.8% to 3.7 billion tonnes, which would theoretically be enough to get the nation’s drillers through most of the next two decades, assuming stable output of about 200 million tonnes a year. Natural gas reserves were a touch higher at 6,339 billion cubic meters, enough for the next three decades.

However, China still relies on imports for most of its oil and much of its gas. Investment in exploration over the year rose 13% to 80 billion yuan, with breakthroughs made in finding new reserves in Sichuan, Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia, as well as the Bohai Bay, the report said.

China is importing coal.

Of course it could be negotiating ploy to reduce coal prices

Chinese Oil Exprloration in Easter Ethiopia revoked! Now you’ll have to get Ogaden Somal to be your Supportive side in case resources run short and are not going to be allowed to exploit to enrich your population.

China is importing coal.
Next time you should read more carefully, it's in the article

You have enough coal for 5 decades with 8% being imported. That is 4 years supply if you replace the imported coal with domestic production.
Seriously, read and understand instead of just being a cheerleader. Lololol

China now is doing business of reselling foreign oil and gas to dumb EU.

View attachment 881470
A lot of the LNG China sold to Europe will be LNG from Murica.

Murica armtwisted China into signing veryh long term unbreakable contract to buy LNG from Murica .

That China now laughing and laughing on way to their bank as those gas China bought from Murica and now selling to EU for 5 to 6 to 7 times what China paying to Murica

Back
Top Bottom