China GDP to top US in 2012: report

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China GDP to top US in 2012: report - GlobalTimes

By Hao Zhou

China may overtake the US in 2012 in terms of the size of its economy, based on a comparison between the real purchasing power of the two countries' currencies, the Wall Street Journal said Wednesday, citing a report released by a New York-based research association.
In its annual Global Economic Outlook report, the Conference Board predicted China's economy would grow by 9.6 percent in 2011 after expanding by 10 percent this year.
The US economy is expected to expand by just 1.2 percent next year, down from 2.6 percent this year.
Average growth in developing economies in the coming decade, at 6.3 percent per year, will be more than three times faster than the average annual growth in advanced economies, forecasted at 1.9 percent, the group said.
According to the report, using the most common way to measure the gap between China's $5 trillion economy and the US nearly $15 trillion output, "it could take China more than a decade to match the US, even at the current very high growth rates, which will be hard to sustain for the Asian country."
The picture looks different when considering purchasing power parity (PPP), which takes into account the goods and services a country's currency actually buys at home, or the real purchasing power people have in each country, it added.
"As a result of the global crisis and very divergent growth rates, China may have a larger GDP, converted for differences in relative price levels using PPP, than the US by 2012," it concluded.
China's share in global output doubled from eight percent in 2000 to 16 percent in 2010 and will rise to 24 percent in 2020 based on PPP-converted figures, the group predicted

"It's not surprising for China to overtake the US by PPP-converted GDP in 2012," He Weiwen, managing director of the China Society for WTO Studies, told the Global Times. "However, the calculating measures do not hold water, which is why this measure is not widely applied around the world."
"The PPP measure takes the price of a specific basket of goods into account and then compares the real purchasing power between different currencies. But it overlooks many factors in the economy, such as differential land rent, price fluctuations and the quality of goods," he added.
"The emerging world's catch-up potential is unlikely to slacken before the end of the decade," said Bart van Ark, senior vice president and chief economist of the Conference Board. "Yet while emerging economies are clearly driving global growth, they also host its biggest downside risk."

It is about PPP, i think China's nominal GDP overtakes US in 2020 is a safe bet.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Posted already in world affairs.

Ops, sorry for that. I request the mod to delete it.

It is about PPP, i think China's nominal GDP overtakes US in 2020 is a safe bet.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Ops, sorry for that. I request the mod to delete it.

I'll be much happier when China's per capita GDP catches up with the US but that is a long way off.

Maybe somewhere between 2030-2040?

Much longer than that I'm afraid. China stands at 3735 USD per capita GDP and the US is well over 40,000, but I suspect that China will catch up in terms of living standards much quicker (maybe at 10,000-20,000 USD) because of PPP.

Also we should note the US 40,000 figure is distorted by a very uneven income distributional. The real wage increase for middle class families in the US has actually shrunk 2% since 1998, while the super rich have gotten disproportionately richer.

Much longer than that I'm afraid. China stands at 3735 USD per capita GDP and the US is well over 40,000, but I suspect that China will catch up in terms of living standards much quicker (maybe at 10,000-20,000 USD) because of PPP.

Also we should note the US 40,000 figure is distorted by a very uneven income distributional. The real wage increase for middle class families in the US has actually shrunk 2% since 1998, while the super rich have gotten disproportionately richer.

China possesses much greater potential, now she has only nearly completed the infrastructure development in the east coast, but central and western areas aren't even heated yet.

In the near future, to beat the US in the per capita isn't that hard if China can come up as number one in term of innovation, come up with feasible technology to save more natural resources, and RMB beats USD to become the world currency.

Last edited:
China possesses much greater potential, now she has only nearly completed the infrastructure development in the east coast, but central and western areas aren't even heated yet.

In the near future ,to beat the US in the per capita isn't that hard if China can come up as number one in term of innovation, come up with feasible technology to save more natural resources, and RMB beats USD to become the world currency.

Absolutely. :tup:

There is a lot of potential in China. Look at Hong Kong and Singapore for example, they have two of the highest GDP per capitas in the world on a PPP basis.

What is the difference between a Hong Kong person and a Mainlander? No difference at all.

Today Shanghai is even beating HK on a GDP basis to become the richest city in China. I have no doubt that this is the model which the rest of China will follow in the coming years.

Absolutely. :tup:

There is a lot of potential in China. Look at Singapore and Hong Kong for example, they have two of the highest GDP per capitas in the world on a PPP basis.

What is the difference between a Hong Kong person and a Mainlander? No difference at all.

Today Shanghai is even beating HK on a GDP basis to become the richest city in China. I have no doubt that this is the model which the rest of China will follow in the coming years.

Shanghai has started to cool down as well, now it has to match its quality to Hong Kong instead of quantity.

I think other mainland cities like Tianjin, Chongqing, Wuhan all have great potential to catch up Shanghai as well.

Shanghai has started to cool down as well, now it has to match its quality to Hong Kong instead of quantity.

I think other mainland cities like Tianjin, Chongqing, Wuhan all have great potential to catch up Shanghai as well.

Agreed, and I think it will happen very quickly. :tup:

i'd just like to say, we'll never get to the GDP/capita of the US by catching up due to certain physical limits on resources with current and near-future technology. however, we don't need to. we don't need gigantic mansions in suburbs that take up 300 square meters of space for 3 people. instead, those 300 square meters can fit 90 housing units (100 square meters per unit per level, 30 levels). we do not all need cars. The other possibility is the US going down. That would raise our GDP's physical limit.

Back
Top Bottom